This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Interactive Effects between Sheet Steel, Lubricants, and Measurement Systems on Friction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This study evaluated the interactions between sheet steel, lubricant and measurement system under typical sheet forming conditions using a fixed draw bead simulator (DBS). Deep drawing quality mild steel substrates with bare (CR), electrogalvanized (EG) and hot dip galvanized (HDG) coatings were tested using a fixed DBS. Various lubricant conditions were targeted to evaluate the coefficient of friction (COF) of the substrate and lubricant combinations, with only rust preventative mill oil (dry-0 g/m2 and 1 g/m2), only forming pre-lube (dry-0 g/m2, 1 g/m2, and >6 g/m2), and a combination of two, where mixed lubrication cases, with incremental amounts of a pre-lube applied (0.5, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 g/m2) over an existing base of 1 g/m2 mill oil, were analyzed. The results showed some similarities as well as distinctive differences in the friction behavior between the bare material and the coatings. While friction on the bare substrate was higher than that of coated surfaces with lubrication, it was found to be significantly more tolerant to dry conditions. Stick-slip behavior was also studied as a measurement system response to intermittent friction between the testing tools.
CitationSanchez Vega, L., Singh, J., and Corral, E., "Interactive Effects between Sheet Steel, Lubricants, and Measurement Systems on Friction," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0755, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0755.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Wall, C.G. , “The Laboratory Evaluation of Sheet Metal Forming Lubricants,” Lubrication Engineering 40(3):139-147, 1984.
- Usada, M., Hashimoto, K., Amaike, T. , “Forming Performance of Aluminum Alloy Sheets for Automotive Body Panels”, SAE Technical Paper 950924, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950924.
- Duncan, J., Shabel, B., and Filho, J. , “A Tensile Strip Test for Evaluating Friction in Sheet Metal Forming,” SAE Technical Paper 780391, 1978, https://doi.org/10.4271/780391.
- Sulonen, M., Eskola, P., Kumpulainen, J., and Ranta-Eskola, A. , “A Reliable Method for Measuring the Friction Coefficient in Sheet Metal Forming,” in IDDRG Working Group Meetings, Tokyo, 1981.
- Schedin, E., Fredriksson, K., and Gustafsson, C. , “Characterization of Friction Properties During Sheet Forming”, in IDDRG, 15th Biennial Congress, Dearborn, MI, 1988, 55-61.
- Vallance, D.W. and Matlock, D.K. , “Application of the Bending-under-Tension Friction Test to Coated Sheet Steels,” JMEP 1:685, 1992, https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02649250.
- Andreasen, J.L., Olsson, D.D., Chodnikiewicz, K., and Bay, N. , “Bending Under Tension Test with Direct Friction Measurement,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part B Journal of Engineering Manufacture 220(1):73-80, 2006, doi:10.1243/095440505X32913.
- Wiklund, D., Rosén, B.-G., and Wihlborg, A. , “A Friction Model Evaluated with Results from a Bending-Under-Tension Test,” Tribology International 42(10):1448-1452, 2009.
- Ceron, E. and Bay, N. , “Testing New Tribo-Systems for Sheet Metal Forming of Advanced High Strength Steels and Stainless Steels,” Finnish Journal of Tribology 1:32, 2014.
- Nine, H.D. , “Draw Bead Forces in Sheet Metal Forming,” in Proceedings of a Symposium on Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming: Behavior and Deformation Analysis, Warren, MI, 1978, 179-211, Plenum Press.
- Sanchez, L.R. and Weinmann, K.J. , “An Analytical and Experimental Study of the Flow Sheet Metal Between Circular Drawbeads,” Journal of Engineering for Industry 118:45-54, 1996.
- Furubayashi, T., Ujihara, S., and Sakamoto, T. , “Simulation of Forming Severity on Autobody Panels using a CAD System-Analysis of Drawbead and its Control,” in IDDRG, 15th Biennial Congress, Dearborn, MI, 1988, 243-250.
- Wanintradul et al. , “An Experimental Analysis Device for Obtaining Skid Line Limit Diagrams,” AIP Conference Proceedings 1383, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3623657.
- Olsson, D., Bay, N., and Andreasen, J.L. , “A Quantitative Lubricant Test for Deep Drawing,” Int. J. Surface Science and Engineering 4(1):2, 12, 2010.
- Sanchez, L. , “Characterization of a Measurement System for Reproducible Friction Testing on Sheet Metal under Plane Strain,” Journal of Tribology International 32(10):575-586, 2000.
- American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM) International , “Standard Terminology Relating to Wear and Erosion,” Designation G40-02, 2002, 6.