This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Analytical Study of Drawbead Restraining Force for Sheet Metal Drawing Operations
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Design of sheet metal drawing processes requires accurate information about the distribution of restraining forces, which is usually accomplished by a set of drawbeads positioned along the perimeter of the die cavity. This study is targeting bringing together the results of finite element analysis and experimental data in order to understand the most critical factors influencing the restraining force. The experimental study of the restraining force was performed using drawbead simulator tool installed into a tensile testing machine. Based upon the experimental results, it was observed that the restraining force of the given drawbead configuration is dependent upon the depth of bead penetration, friction between the drawbead surfaces as well as the clearance between the flanges of the drawbead simulator. This clearance is often adjusted during stamping operations to increase or decrease material inflow into the die cavity without any modification in the die. Numerical simulation was performed with Autoform software following the geometry of the experimental drawbead tools used in this study. Two different surface conditions were used in the experimental tools: surface treatment 1 and surface treatment 2. Based on performed numerical simulation, the observations were made that the sheet metal does not conform with beads geometry for larger clearances between the sheet and the beads as well as for smaller bead penetrations.
CitationReinberg, N., Mokashi, A., Nasheralahkami, S., Golovashchenko, S. et al., "Experimental and Analytical Study of Drawbead Restraining Force for Sheet Metal Drawing Operations," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0753, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0753.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Woodworth , J.V. 1903
- Crane , E.V. Plastic Working of Metals New York City John Wiley & Sons 1932
- Siegert , K. , Hohnhaus , J. , and Wagner , S. Combination of Hydraulic Multipoint Cushion System and Segment-Elastic Blankholders, Developments in Sheet Metal Stamping SAE Technical Paper 980077 1998 https://doi.org/10.4271/980077
- Hosford , W.F. and Caddell , R.M. Metal Forming: Mechanics and Metallurgy Prentice-Hall Englewood Cliffs, NJ 1983
- Nine , H. Drawbead Forces in Sheet Metal Forming Proceedings of Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming Koistinen , D.P. , Wang , N.-M. 179 209 1978
- Levy , B.S. Modeling Binder Restraint Using Parametric Models Based on Mechanistic Considerations Proceedings of Symposium “Computer Modeling of sheet Metal Forming Process: Theory, Verification, and Application 177 191 1985
- Stoughton , T.B. Model of Drawbead Forces in Sheet Metal Forming Proceedings of 15th Biennial Congress 1988 Dearborn, MI 205 215
- Lee , M.G. , Chung , K. , Wagoner , R.H. , and Keum , Y.T. A Numerical Method for Rapid Estimation of Drawbead Restraining Force Based on Non-Linear, Anisotropic Constitutive Equations International Journal of Solids and Structures 45 11-12 3375 3391 2008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2008.02.008
- Triantafyllidis , N. , Maker , B. , and Samanta , S.K. An Analysis of Drawbeads in Sheet Metal Forming: Part 1 - Problem Formulation Journal of Engineering Materials Technology 108 321 327 October 1986 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3225889
- Maker , B. , Samanta , S.K. , Grab , G. , and Triantafyllidis , N. An Analysis of Drawbeads in Sheet Metal Forming: Part 2 - Experimental Verification Journal of Engineering Materials Technology 109 164 170 April 1987 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3225957
- Dalton , G.M. and Schey , J.A. Effect of Drawbead Finish Orientation and Galling in the Drawbead Test SAE Technical Paper 920632 1992 https://doi.org/10.4271/920632
- Wilczynski , J.S. and Gregorie , C.A. The Effects of Die Materials and Electroetching on Frictional Characteristics of Automotive Sheet Steels SAE Technical Paper 920635 1992 https://doi.org/10.4271/920635
- Schey , J. and Smith , M. Report of NADDRG Friction Committee on Reproducibility of Friction Tests within and between Laboratories SAE Technical Paper 930811 1993 https://doi.org/10.4271/930811
- Golovashchenko , S.F. 2019