This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Autonomous Vehicles Camera Blinding Attack Detection Using Sequence Modelling and Predictive Analytics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Autonomous vehicles are waiting to address the global automotive mobility challenges through an intelligent smart transportation system, which includes advanced sensor-actuator configurations to control, navigate, and drive the vehicles. Multi-sensor data fusion from the key sensors such as camera, radar, and lidar is used to achieve the environmental perception for autonomous vehicles by capturing the various attributes of the environment. Cameras are the dominant sensors to achieve the perception by providing vision capability to vehicles. The direct interface of the cameras with the dynamic driving environment carries numerous attack surfaces on the camera. Blinding attacks on the cameras are one of the critical attacks with an intention to blind the cameras either fully or partially by projecting light into the cameras to hide the objects which results in failure in object detection. Here, the blinding attack detection approach is proposed which detects the blinding attacks on the camera in a dynamic driving environment by camera data predictive analytics. The proposed system predicts the future next frame of the video at each time instance and compares the received frame from the camera with the predicted frame at that instance to detect the blinding attacks. The incoming frames from the camera are sequentially modeled using a convolutional encoder-decoder neural network to predict the consecutive future frames, and the predicted frames are compared with the received camera frames to identify the similarity measure between the predicted and incoming camera frames of the same instance. Further, the approach detects the blinding on the camera, if the similarity measure calculated falls below a fixed threshold. The similarity measure which is inversely proportional to the amount of blinding is used to identify the blinding attacks. The predictive analytics of the sequentially modeled video frames with similarity measurement is used for the successful detection of blinding attacks.
CitationD H, S. and Ansari, A., "Autonomous Vehicles Camera Blinding Attack Detection Using Sequence Modelling and Predictive Analytics," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0719, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0719.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- 2015 https://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2970017
- Greenberg , A. https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackersremotely-kill-jeep-highway/ 2015
- Miller , C. and Valasek , C. 2015
- Pesé , M. , Schmidt , K. , and Zweck , H. Hardware/Software Co-Design of an Automotive Embedded Firewall SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1659 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1659
- Wyglinski , A.M. , Huang , X. , Padir , T. , Lai , L. et al. Security of Autonomous Systems Employing Embedded Computing and Sensors IEEE Micro 33 1 80 86 2013
- Koscher , K. , Czeskis , A. , Roesner , F. , Patel , S. , Kohno , T. , Checkoway , S. , McCoy , D. , Kantor , B. , Anderson , D. , Shacham , H. et al. Experimental Security Analysis of a Modern Automobile 2010, IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy 2010 447 462
- Shin , H. , Kim , D. , Kwon , Y. , and Kim , Y. Illusion and Dazzle: Adversarial Optical Channel Exploits Against Lidars for Automotive Applications International Conference on Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems (CHES) 2017
- Petit , J. , Stottelaar , B. , Feiri , M. , and Kargl , F. 2015
- Eykholt , K. , Evtimov , I. , Fernandes , E. , Li , B. , Rahmati , A. , Xiao , C. , Prakash , A. , Kohno , T. , and Song , D. 2018 Robust PhysicalWorld Attacks on Deep Learning Visual Classification IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR)
- Liu , Y. , Ma , S. , Aafer , Y. , Lee , W.-C. , Zhai Juan , Wang , W. , and Zhang , X. Trojaning Attack on Neural Networks Annual Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS) 2018
- Villegas , R. , Yang , J. , Hong , S. , Lin , X. , and Lee , H. 2017
- Wang , Z. , Bovik , A.C. , Sheikh , H.R. , and Simoncelli , E.P. Image Quality Assessment: From Error Visibility to Structural Similarity IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 13 4 600 612 April 2004