This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Research on Multi-Disciplinary Optimization of the Vehicle Hood at Early Design Phase
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Vehicle hood design is a typical multi-disciplinary task. The hood has to meet the demands of different attributes like safety, dynamics, statics, and NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness). Multi-disciplinary optimization (MDO) of vehicle hood at early design phase is an efficient way to support right design decision and avoid late-phase design changes. However, due to lacking in CAD models, it is difficult to realize MDO at early design phase. In this research, a new method of design and optimization is proposed to improve the design efficiency. Firstly, an implicit parametric hood model is built to flexibly change shape and size of hood structure, and generate FE models automatically. Secondly, four types of stiffness analysis, one type of modal analysis, together with pedestrian head impact analysis were established to describe multi-disciplinary concern of vehicle hood design. Finally, a platform is developed to integrate parametric modeling and CAE software to automatically conduct design of experiment (DOE) sampling, undertaking sensitivity analysis and find the optimal result. The results show that application of this method results in weight reduction from 16.8 kg to 14.83 kg and improves pedestrian protection performance score from 6.57 to 7.74 at the same time according to the China New Car Assessment Program (CNCAP).
CitationXu, H., Fu, Y., Lin, G., Zhan, Z. et al., "A Research on Multi-Disciplinary Optimization of the Vehicle Hood at Early Design Phase," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0625, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0625.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Organization, World Health , “Global Status Report on Road Safety 2015,” Injury Prevention 15(4):286-286, 2015, doi:10.1136/ip.2009.023697.
- Simms, C.K., Wood, D., and Fredriksson, R. , “Pedestrian Injury Biomechanics and Protection,”, 2015, doi:10.1007/978-1-4939-1732-7_24.
- Traffic Management Bureau of the Public Security Ministry , Statistics of Road Traffic Accidents in PR of China (2014) (Beijing: China Communication Press, 2015). urn:nbn:se:vti:diva-7392.
- Untaroiu, C.D., Shin, J., and Crandall, J.R. , “A Design Optimization Approach of Vehicle Hood for Pedestrian Protection,” International Journal of Crashworthiness 12(6):581-589, 2007, doi:10.1007/978-1-4939-1732-7_24.
- C-NCAP Management Center , C-NCAP Management Rules (2018 Edition) (Tianjin: China Automotive Technology and Research Center, 2017).
- Kalliske, I. and Friesen, F. , “Improvements to Pedestrian Protection as Exemplified on a Standard-Sized Car,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-06-0143, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-06-0143.
- Untaroiu, C.D., Shin, J., and Crandall, J.R. , “A Design Optimization Approach of Vehicle Hood for Pedestrian Protection,” International Journal of Crashworthiness 12(6):581-589, 2007.
- Shojaeefard, M.H., Najibi, A., and Ahmadabadi, M.R. , “Pedestrian Safety Investigation of the New Inner Structure of the Hood to Mitigate the Impact Injury of the Head,” Thin-Walled Structures 77:77-85, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.tws.2013.11.003.
- Huang, S. and Yang, J. , “Optimization of a Reversible Hood for Protecting a Pedestrian's Head during Car Collisions,” Accident Analysis & Prevention 42(4):1136-1143, 2010.
- Agarwal, R., Yadav, K., and Khurana, R.S. , “Design Optimization of Front Hood Structure for Meeting Pedestrian Headform Protection in an Existing Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0615, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0615.
- Paas, M.H.J.W. and van Dijk, H.C. , Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of Body Exterior Structures, World Congress of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimisation (Cham: Springer, 2017), doi:10.1007/978-3-319-67988-4_2.
- Peng, X. et al. , “Optimization Design of Bonnet Inner Based on Pedestrian Head Protection and Stiffness Requirements,” International Journal of Computational Materials Science and Engineering 6(01):1750005, 2017.
- Teng, T.-L. et al. , “Design of car Hood of Sandwich Structures for Pedestrian Safety,” International Journal of Vehicle Design 63(2-3):185-198, 2013.
- Choi, Y., Freeman, S., and Letailleur, F. , “Constructing a Concept Vehicle Structure Optimized for Crashworthiness,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0613, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0613.
- Wang, D. and Cai, K. , “Optimizing the Static-Dynamic Performance of the Body-in-White Using a Modified Non-Dominated Sorting Genetic Algorithm Coupled with Grey Relational Analysis,” Engineering Optimization 50(4):615-633, 2018, doi:10.1080/0305215X.2017.1330888.
- Duan, L. et al. , “Parametric Modeling and Multiobjective Crashworthiness Design Optimization of a New Front Longitudinal Beam,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 59(5):1789-1812, 2019, doi:10.1007/s00158-018-2134-9.
- Shi, G., Chen, Y., Yang, Y. et al. , “BIW Architecture Multidisciplinary Light Weight Optimization Design (in Chinese),” JMech Engng 8:110-114, 2012, doi:10.3901/JME.2012.08.110.
- Deb, A., Naravane, A. and Chou, C.C. , “A Practical CAE-Driven Approach for Weight Optimization of an Existing Vehicle Body,” in 2006 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, IMECE2006; Chicago, IL, November 5-10, 2006.
- Duan, L. et al. , “An Efficient Lightweight Design Strategy for Body-in-White Based on Implicit Parameterization Technique,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization 55(5):1927-1943, 2017, doi:10.1007/s00158-016-1621-0.
- Cai, K.F. and Wang, D.F. , “Optimizing the Design of Automotive S-Railusing Grey Relational Analysis Coupled with Grey Entropy Measurement to Improve Crashworthiness,” Struct. Multidiscip. Optim. 56(6):1539-1553, 2017b, doi:10.1007/s00158-017-1728-y.
- Lee, C. and Abdel-Aty, M. , “Comprehensive Analysis of Vehicle-Pedestrian Crashes at Intersections in Florida,” Accident Analysis & Prevention 37(4):775-786, 2005, doi:10.1016/j.aap.2005.03.019.
- Meng, T.K. et al. , “Optimization of Polystyrene Biodegradation Using Response Surface Methodology (RSM) Measured by Simple Colorimetric Method,” International Journal of Engineering & Technology 7(4.14):216-220, 2018.