This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impact of Lateral Alignment on the Energy Savings of a Truck Platoon
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A truck platooning system was tested using two heavy-duty tractor-trailer trucks on a closed test track to investigate the sensitivity of intentional lateral offsets over a range of intervehicle spacings. The fuel consumption for both trucks in the platoon was measured using the SAE J1321 gravimetric procedure while travelling at 65 mph and loaded to a gross weight of 65,000 lb. In addition, the SAE J1939 instantaneous fuel rate was calibrated against the gravimetric measurements and used as proxy for additional analyses. The testing campaign demonstrated the effects of intervehicle gaps, following-vehicle longitudinal control, and manual lateral control. The new results are compared to previous truck-platooning studies to reinforce the value of the new information and demonstrate similarity to past trends. Fuel savings for the following vehicle was observed to exceed 10% at closer following distances. The results showed that energy savings generally increased in a non-linear fashion as the gap was reduced. The impact of different following-truck lateral offsets had a measurable impact, with up to 4% reduction in total fuel-savings (relative to an isolated vehicle condition) observed for offsets up to 1.3 m. The fuel-consumption savings on the straight segments of the track exceeded those on the curved segments by upwards of 6% and highlight some potential differences expected between close-track testing and on-highway use.
CitationLammert, M., McAuliffe, B., Smith, P., Raeesi, A. et al., "Impact of Lateral Alignment on the Energy Savings of a Truck Platoon," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0594, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0594.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Marcu, B. and Browand, F. , “Aerodynamic Forces Experienced by a 3-Vehicle Platoon in a Crosswind,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1324, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1324.
- Tsuei, L. and Savas, O. , “Transient Aerodynamics of Vehicle Platoons during in-line Oscillations,” Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 89:1085-1111, 2001.
- Salari, K. and Ortega, J. , “Experimental Investigation of the Aerodynamic Benefits of Truck Platooning,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0732, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0732.
- McAuliffe, B. and Ahmadi-Baloutaki, M. , “A Wind-Tunnel Investigation of the Influence of Separation Distance, Lateral Stagger, and Trailer Configuration on the Drag-Reduction Potential of a Two-Truck Platoon,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 11(2):125-150, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/02-11-02-0011.
- McAuliffe, B.R., Ahmadi-Baloutaki, M., Croken, M., and Raeesi, A. , “Fuel-Economy Testing of a Three-Vehicle Truck Platooning System,” NRC Report LTR-AL-2017-0008, National Research Council Canada, 2017.
- Bonnet, C. and Fritz, H. , “Fuel Consumption Reduction in a Platoon: Experimental Results with Two Electronically Coupled Trucks at Close Spacing,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3056, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3056.
- Browand, F., McArthur, J., and Radovich, C. , “Fuel Saving Achieved in the Field Test of Two Tandem Trucks,” California PATH Research Report UCB-ITSPRR-2004-20, 2004.
- Al Alam, A., Gattami, A., and Johansson, K. , “An Experimental Study on the Fuel Reduction Potential of Heavy Duty Vehicle Platooning,” In 13th International IEEE Annual Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Madeira Island, Portugal, 2010.
- Roeth, M. , “CR England Peloton Technology Platooning Test Nov. 2013,” in North American Council for Freight Efficiency (NACFE), Peloton, 2013.
- Lammert, M., Duran, A., Diez, J., Burton, K. et al. , “Effect of Platooning on Fuel Consumption of Class 8 Vehicles Over a Range of Speeds, Following Distances, and Mass,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 7(2):626-639, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2438.
- Tsugawa, S. , “Results and Issues of an Automated Truck Platoon within the Energy ITS Project,” In 2014 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), Dearborn, MI, June 8-11, 2014.
- Humphreys, H. and Bevly, D. , “Computational Fluid Dynamic Analysis of a Generic 2 Truck Platoon,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-8008, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-8008.
- Roberts, J., Mihelic, R., Roeth, M., and Rondini, D. , “Confidence Report on Two-Truck Platooning,” Technical Report, North American Council for Freight Efficiency, 2016.
- Bevly, D., Murray, C., Lim, A., Turochy, R., et al. , “Heavy Truck Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control: Evaluation, Testing, and Stakeholder Engagement for Near Term Deployment: Phase Two Final Report,” Technical Report, Auburn University, 2017.
- McAuliffe, B., Lammert, M., Lu, X.-Y., Shladover, S.E. et al. , “Influences on Energy Savings of Heavy Trucks Using Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1181, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1181.
- McAuliffe, B., Raeesi, A., Lammert, M., Smith, P. et al. , “Impact of Mixed Traffic on the Energy Savings of a Truck Platoon,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0679, 2020.
- Smith, P., and Bevly, D. , “Analysis of On-Road Highway Testing for a Two Truck Controlled Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control (CACC) Platoon,” SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-5009, 2020
- Smith, P., Ward, J., Pierce, J., Bevly, D. et al. , “Experimental Results and Analysis of a Longitudinal Controlled Cooperative Adaptive Cruise Control (CACC) Truck Platoon,” in Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, 2019.
- Quigley, M., Gerkey, B.P., Conley, K., Faust, J. et al. , “ROS: An Open-Source Robot Operating System,” in ICRA Workshop on Open Source Software, vol. 3, 1-6, 2009.
- Travis, W. , “Path Duplication Using GPS Carrier Based Relative Position for Automated Ground Vehicle Convoys,” Ph.D. dissertation, Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, 2010.
- SAE J1321 , “Fuel Consumption Test Procedure - Type II,” Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice J1321, 2012.
- McAuliffe, B., and Chuang, D. , “Coast-Down and Constant-Speed Testing of a Tractor-Trailer Combination in Support of Regulatory Developments for Greenhouse Gas Emissions,” NRC Report LTR-AL-2016-0019-R, National Research Council Canada, 2016.
- Mihelic, R. and Ellis, M. , “Ramifications of Test Track Curves on Aerodynamic Prediction for Tractor Trailer Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2460, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2460.
- Misra, P. and Enge, P. , Global Positioning System: Signals, Measurements, and Performance (Lincoln, MA: Ganga-Jamuna Press, 2011).