This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and 1D Numerical Investigations on the Exhaust Emissions of a Small Spark Ignition Engine Considering the Cylinder-by-Cylinder Variability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper reports a numerical and experimental analysis on a twin-cylinder turbocharged Spark Ignition engine carried out to investigate the cylinder-to-cylinder variability in terms of performance, combustion evolution and exhaust emissions.
The engine was tested at 3000 rpm in 20 different steady-state operating conditions, selected with the purpose of observing the influence of cylinder-by-cylinder A/F ratio variations and the EGR effects on the combustion process and exhaust emissions for low to medium/high loads. The experimental outcomes showed relevant differences in the combustion evolution (characteristic combustion angles) between cylinders and not negligible variations in the emissions of the single cylinder exhaust and the overall engine one. This misalignment resulted to be due to differences in the injected fuel amount by the port injectors in the two cylinders, mainly deriving from the specific fuel rail geometry.
The experimental data were then used to validate a 1D engine model, integrated with refined sub-models of turbulence, combustion, heat transfer and emissions. The model takes into account the in-cylinder production of noxious species, and their propagation in the exhaust system, up to the three-way catalytic converter. A satisfactory accuracy was reached in reproducing the overall engine performance and the combustion process in the two cylinders. In particular, the emission sub-models confirmed that the variations of the cylinder-out exhaust emissions (NOx, HC and CO) were mainly due to the non-uniform effective in-cylinder A/F ratio.
The proposed numerical methodology has the potential to highlight unexpected combustion non-uniformities among different cylinders and represents a powerful support to the engine design and development. It also allows for the prediction of the overall exhaust emissions at different engine operating conditions up to the entire domain, thus assisting the engine calibration phase and reducing the experimental efforts.
CitationMarchitto, L., Teodosio, L., Tornatore, C., Valentino, G. et al., "Experimental and 1D Numerical Investigations on the Exhaust Emissions of a Small Spark Ignition Engine Considering the Cylinder-by-Cylinder Variability," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0578, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0578.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Wang , Z. , Liu , H. , and Reitz , R.D. Knocking Combustion in Spark-Ignition Engines Prog. Energy Combust. Sci 61 78 112 2017 10.1016/j.pecs.2017.03.004
- European Environment Agency 2014
- Moriya , Y. , Watanabe , A. , Uda , H. , Kawamura , H. et al. A Newly Developed Intelligent Variable Valve Timing System - Continuously Controlled Cam Phasing as Applied to a New 3 Liter Inline 6 Engine SAE Technical Paper 960579 1996 https://doi.org/10.4271/960579
- Luisi , S. , Doria , V. , Stroppiana , A. , Millo , F. et al. Experimental Investigation on Early and Late Intake Valve Closures for Knock Mitigation through Miller Cycle in a Downsized Turbocharged Engine SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0760 2015 https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0760
- Police , G. , Diana , S. , Giglio , V. , Iorio , B. et al. Downsizing by SI-Engines by Turbo-Charging Proceedings of ESDA 2006, 8th Biennal ASME Conference on Engineering System Design and Analysis Torino, Italy July 4, 2006
- Teodosio , L. , De Bellis , V. , Bozza , F. , and Tufano , D. Numerical Study of the Potential of a Variable Compression Ratio Concept Applied to a Downsized Turbocharged VVA Spark Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0015 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0015
- Fontana , G. and Galloni , E. Experimental Analysis of a Spark-Ignition Engine Using Exhaust Gas Recycle at WOT Operation Applied Energy 87 7 2187 2193 2010 10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.11.022
- Tornatore , C. , Bozza , F. , De Bellis , V. , Teodosio , L. et al. Experimental and Numerical Study on the Influence of Cooled EGR on Knock Tendency, Performance and Emissions of a Downsized Spark-Ignition Engine Energy 172 968 976 2019 10.1016/j.enery.2019.02.031
- Hoppe , F. , Thewes , M. , Baumgarten , H. , and Dohmen , J. Water Injection for Gasoline Engines: Potentials, Challenges, and Solutions International Journal of Engine Research 17 1 86 96 2016 10.1177/1468087415599867
- Bozza , F. , De Bellis , V. , Giannattasio , P. , Teodosio , L. , and Marchitto , L. Extension and Validation of a 1D Model Applied to the Analysis of a Water Injected Turbocharged Spark Ignited Engine at High Loads and over a WLTP Driving Cycle SAE Int. J. Engines 10 4 2141 2153 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0014
- Mueller , C. , Morcinkowski , B. , Schernus , C. , Habermann , K. , and Uhlmann , T. Development of a Pre-Chamber for Spark Ignition Engines in Vehicle Applications 4th International Conference on Ignition Systems for Gasoline Engines Dec. 2018 10.5445/IR/1000088588
- Teodosio , L. , De Bellis , V. , and Bozza , F. Combined Effects of Valve Strategies, Compression Ratio, Water Injection, and Cooled EGR on the Fuel Consumption of a Small Turbocharged VVA Spark-Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0854 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0854
- Bozza , F. , De Bellis , V. , Teodosio , L. , Tufano , D. et al. Techniques for CO2 Emission Reduction over a WLTC. A Numerical Comparison of Increased Compression Ratio, Cooled EGR and Water Injection SAE Technical Paper 2018-37-0008 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-37-0008
- Li , T. , Gao , Y. , Wang , J. , and Chen , Z. The Miller Cycle Effects on Improvement of Fuel Economy in a Highly Boosted, High Compression Ratio, Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine: EIVC vs LIVC Energy Convers Manage 79 59 65 2014
- Cordier , M. , Laget , O. , Duffour , F. , Gautrot , X. et al. Increasing modern spark ignition engine efficiency: a comprehension study of high CR and Atkinson Cycle SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2172 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2172
- Celik , M.B. , Ozdalyan , B. , and Alkan , F. The Use of Pure Methanol as Fuel at High Compression Ratio in a Single Cylinder Gasoline Engine Fuel 90 4 1591 1598 2011 10.1016/j.fuel.2010.10.035
- Stein , R.A. , Anderson , J.E. , and Wallington , T.J. An Overview of the Effects of Ethanol Gasoline Blends on SI Engine Performance, Fuel Efficiency and Emissions SAE J. Engines 6 470 487 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1635
- Arsie , I. , Pianese , C. , and Rizzo , G. Models for the Prediction of Performance and Emissions in a Spark Ignition - A sequentially structured approach SAE Technical Paper 980779 1998 https://doi.org/10.4271/980779
- D’Errico , G. , Ferrari , G. , Onorati , A. , and Cerri , T. Modeling the Pollutant Emissions from a S.I. Engine SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0006 2002 https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0006
- Prediction of a Gasoline Engine Performance with Artificial Neural Network Fuel 111 324 331 2013 10.1016/j.fuel.2012.12.040
- Heywood , J.B. Internal Combustion engine Fundamentals Mc-Graw Hill 1998
- Einewall , P. and Johansson , B. Cylinder to Cylinder and Cycle to Cycle Variations in a Six Cylinder Lean Burn Natural Gas Engine SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1941 2000 https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1941
- Bach , F. , Clemens , H. , Uwe , W. , Ulrich , S. , and Christina , S. Low Temperature Gasoline Combustion with Diesel Micro-Pilot Injection in a Six-Cylinder Heavy Duty Engine ASME 2012 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference Vancouver, BC, Canada New York: ASME September 23-26, 2012
- Kassa , M. , Hall , C. , Ickes , A. , and Wallner , T. Cylinder-to-Cylinder Variations in Power Production in a Dual Fuel Internal Combustion Engine Leveraging Late Intake Valve Closings SAE Int. J. Engines 9 2 1049 1058 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0776
- De Bellis , V. , Bozza , F. , and Tufano , D. A Comparison between Two Phenomenological Combustion Models Applied to Different SI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-2184 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2184
- Teodosio , L. , Bozza , F. , Tufano , D. , Giannattasio , P. et al. Impact of the Laminar Flame Speed Correlation on the Results of a Quasi-Dimensional Combustion Model for Spark-Ignition Engine Energy Procedia 48 631 638 2018
- Bozza , F. , Teodosio , L. , De Bellis , V. , Fontanesi , S. et al. Refinement of a 0D Turbulence Model to Predict Tumble and Turbulent Intensity in SI Engines. Part II: Model Concept, Validation and Discussion SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0856 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0856
- Teodosio , L. , Pirrello , D. , Berni , F. , De Bellis , V. et al. Impact of Intake Valve Strategies on Fuel Consumption and Knock Tendency of a Spark Ignition Engine Applied Energy 216 91 104 2018 10.1016/j.apenergy.2018.02.032
- Cerri , T. , D’Errico , G. , Montenegro , G. , Onorati , A. et al. A Novel 1D Co-Simulation Framework for the Prediction of Tailpipe Emissions under Different IC Engine Operating Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2019-24-0147 2019 https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0147
- Lavoie , G. , Heywood , J. , and Keck , J. Experimental and Theoretical Study of Nitric Oxide Formation in Internal Combustion Engines Combustion Science and Technology 1 4 313 326 1970 10.1080/00102206908952211
- Schramm , J. and Sorenson , S. A Model for Hydrocarbon Emissions from SI Engines SAE Technical Paper 902169 1990 https://doi.org/10.4271/902169
- Kaplan , J. and Heywood , J. Modeling the Spark Ignition Engine Warm-Up Process to Predict Component Temperatures and Hydrocarbon Emissions SAE Technical Paper 910302 1991 https://doi.org/10.4271/910302
- Lavoie , G. Correlations of Combustion Data for SI Engine Calculations-Laminar Flame Speed, Quench Distance and Global Reaction Rates SAE Technical Paper 780229 1978 https://doi.org/10.4271/780229