This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Road Towards High Efficiency Argon SI Combustion in a CFR Engine: Cooling the Intake to Sub-Zero Temperatures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Textbook engine thermodynamics predicts that SI (Spark Ignition) engine efficiency η is a function of both the compression ratio CR of the engine and the specific heat ratio γ of the working fluid. In practice the compression ratio of the SI engine is often limited due to “knock”. Knock is in large part the effect of end gases becoming too hot and auto-igniting. Knock results in increase in heat transfer to the walls which negatively affects efficiency. Not to mention damages to the piston. One way to lower the end-gas temperature is to cool the intake gas before inducting it into the combustion chamber. With colder intake gases, higher CR can be deployed, resulting in higher efficiencies. In this regard, we investigated the efficiency of a standard Waukesha CFR engine. The engine is operated in the SI engine mode, and was operated with two differing mixtures at different temperatures. First was Air + Methane at room temperature, second O2 + Argon + Methane at room temperature, third and last case study was O2 + Argon + Methane at sub-zero inlet temperature. A sweep of the spark timing to locate highest efficiency point, while taking into consideration KLSA (Knock limited spark advance), at each compression ratio. It is to be noted that along with increasing the compression ratio, advancing the spark timing was found to increase efficiency as well, however the process is limited by knock phenomena, especially for the Argon mixtures. Emissions were measured using an AVL SESAM-i60 FTIR analyzer. The results showed that the Argon mixture enhanced engine efficiency quite considerably from the standard air mixture by almost 5%. However, the cooled Argon cycles showed no improvements from the Air or Argon mixtures at ambient conditions.
- Sufyan M. Jan - King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
- Abdulrahman Mohammed - King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
- Ali Elkhazraji - King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
- Jean-Baptiste Masurier - King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
- Robert Dibble - University of California
CitationJan, S., Mohammed, A., Elkhazraji, A., Masurier, J. et al., "The Road Towards High Efficiency Argon SI Combustion in a CFR Engine: Cooling the Intake to Sub-Zero Temperatures," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0550, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
- Wuebbles, D.J., Fahey, D.W., Hibbard, K.A., DeAngelo, B. et al. , Executive Summary of the Climate Science Special Report: Fourth National Climate Assessment. Vol. I (Washington, DC, 2017).
- Skonieczny, C., McGee, D., Winckler, G., Bory, A. et al. , “Monsoon-Driven Saharan Dust Variability over the Past 240,000 Years,” Sci. Adv. 5(1):eaav1887, 2019, doi:10.1126/sciadv.aav1887.
- Chittibabu, P. and Canada, O. , “The Global Warming Debate: A Review of the State of Science Pure and Applied Geophysics The Global Warming Debate: A Review of the State of Science,” (August 2005), 2014, doi:10.1007/s00024-005-2683-x.
- Johnson, T. and Joshi, A. , “Review of Vehicle Engine Efficiency and Emissions,” 11(6):1307-1330, 2019, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0329.
- Johansson, B. and Universitet. Institutionen for energivetenskaper, L , “Combustion Engines,” Department of Energy Sciences, Lund University, ISBN 9789176230954, 2014.
- Sales, L.C.M. and Sodre, J.R. , “Cold Start Characteristics of an Ethanol-Fuelled Engine with Heated Intake Air and Fuel,” Applied Thermal Engineering 40:198-201, 2012.
- Vancoillie, J., Demuynck, J., Sileghem, L., Van De Ginste, M., and Verhelst, S. , “Comparison of the Renewable Transportation Fuels, Hydrogen and Methanol Formed from Hydrogen, with Gasoline - Engine Efficiency Study,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 37(12):9914-9924, 2012.
- Irimescu, A. , “Performance and Fuel Conversion Efficiency of a Spark Ignition Engine Fueled with Iso-Butanol,” Applied Energy 96:477-483, 2012.
- Eckermann, E. , World History of the Automobile (Society of Automotive Engineers, 2001). ISBN:9780768008005.
- De Boer, P.C.T., McLean, W.J., and Homan, H.S. , “Performance and Emissions of Hydrogen Fueled Internal Combustion Engines,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 1(2):153-172, 1976, doi:10.1016/0360-3199(76)90068-9.
- Furuhama, S., Hiruma, M., and Enomoto, Y. , “Development of a liquid hydrogen car,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 3(1):61-81, 1978, doi:10.1016/0360-3199(78)90057-5.
- Dibble, R.W. , Recirculating Noble Gas Internal Combustion Power Cycle (2017), doi:10.1037/t24245-000. ISBN:2009023471.
- Mohammed, A.M., Masurier, J.-B., Elkhazraji, A., Dibble, R., and Johansson, B. , “A Path Towards High Efficiency using Argon in an HCCI Engine,” in WCX SAE World Congress Experience, SAE International, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0951.
- Kuroki, R., Kato, A., Kamiyama, E., and Sawada, D. , “Study of High Efficiency Zero-Emission Argon Circulated Hydrogen Engine,” 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0581.
- Killingsworth, N.J., Rapp, V.H., Flowers, D.L., Aceves, S.M., Chen, J.Y., and Dibble, R. , “Increased Efficiency in SI Engine with Air Replaced by Oxygen in Argon Mixture.”
- Brohi, E. , “Ammonia as Fuel for Internal Combustion Engines ? An Evaluation of the Feasibility of using Nitrogen-Based Fuels in ICE,” Chalmers University of Technology, 2014.
- Cohen, G., Joutz, F., and Loungani, P. , “Measuring Energy Security: Trends in the Diversification of Oil and Natural Gas Supplies,” Energy Policy 39(9):4860-4869, 2011.
- Asche, F., Oglend, A., and Osmundsen, P. , “Gas Versus Oil Prices the Impact of Shale Gas,” Energy Policy 47:117-124, 2012.
- Korakianitis, T., Namasivayam, A.M., and Crookes, R.J. , “Natural-Gas Fueled Spark-Ignition (SI) and Compression- Ignition (CI) Engine Performance and Emissions,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 37(1, 7):89-112, 2011. 7.
- Bradley, D. , “Combustion and the Design of Future Engine Fuels,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science, 223, 12, 2751-2765, 2009. 8.
- Moreno, F., Munoz, M., Arroyo, J., Magen, O., Monne, C., and Suelves, I. , “Efficiency and Emissions in a Vehicle Spark Ignition Engine Fueled with Hydrogen and Methane Blends,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2012.04.012, 2012, in press .
- de Boer, P.C.T. and Hulet, J.-F. , Performance of a Hydrogen-Oxygen-Noble Gas Engine (), doi:10.1016/0360-3199(80)90024-5.
- Mohammed, A.M., Masurier, J.-B., Elkhazraji, and Johansson, B. , “Oxy-Fuel HCCI Combustion in a CFR Engine with Carbon Dioxide as a Thermal Buffer,” 10.4271/2019-24-0119.
- Wu, Z.J., Yu, X., Fu, L.Z., Deng, J. et al. , “A High Efficiency Oxyfuel Internal Combustion Engine Cycle with Water Direct Injection for Waste Heat Recovery,” Energy 70:110-120, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2014.03.095.
- de Melo, T.C.C., Machado, G.B., Belchior, C.R.P., Colaço, M.J., Barros, J.E.M., de Oliveira, E.J., de Oliveira, D.G. , “Hydrous Ethanol-Gasoline Blends-Combustion and Emission Investigations on a Flex-Fuel Engine,” Fuel, 97:796-804, 2012.
- Ayala, F.A., Gerty, M.D., and Heywood, J.B. , “Effects of Combustion Phasing, Relative Air-fuel Ratio, Compression Ratio, and Load on SI Engine Efficiency,” in SAE 2006 World Congress & Exhibition, SAE International, 2006, httsps://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0229.
- Al-Muhsen, N.F.O. and Hong, G. , “Effect of Spark Timing on Performance and Emissions of a Small Spark Ignition Engine with Dual Ethanol Fuel Injection,” in International Powertrains, Fuels & Lubricants Meeting, SAE International, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-2230.
- Burcat, A. , “Third Millennium Ideal Gas and Condensed Phase Thermochemical Database for Combustion with Updates from Active Thermochemical Tables,” September 2005.
- Woschni, G. , “A Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine,” in National Fuels and Lubricants, Power Plants, Transportation Meetings, SAE International, 1967, https://doi.org/10.4271/670931.
- Über die Dissociationswärme und den Einfluss der Temperatur auf den Dissociationsgrad der Elektrolyte,” Zeitschrift Für Phys. Chemie 4U:96, 1889, doi:10.1515/zpch-1889-0408.
- Solaka Aronsson, H., Truedsson, I., Tuner, M., Johansson, B., and Cannella, W. , “Comparison of Fuel Effects on Low Temperature Reactions in PPC and HCCI Combustion,” in SAE 2014 International Powertrain, Fuels & Lubricants Meeting, SAE International, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-2679.