This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Thoracic Spinal Development by Age and Sex with a Focus on Occupant Safety
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Spine degeneration can lower injury tolerance and influence injury outcomes in vehicle crashes. To date, limited information exists on the effect of age and sex on thoracic spine 3-dimensional geometry. The purpose of this study is to quantify thoracic spinal column and canal geometry using selected geometrical measurement from a large sample of CT scans. More than 33,488 scans were obtained from the International Center for Automotive Medicine database at the University of Michigan under Institutional Review Board approval (HUM00041441). The sample consisted of CT scans obtained from 31,537 adult and 1,951 pediatric patients between the ages of 0 to 99 years old. Each scan was processed semi-automatically using custom algorithms written in MATLAB (The Math Works, Natick, MA). Five geometrical measurements were collected including: 1) maximum spinal curvature depth (D), 2) T1-to-T12 vertical height (H), 3) Kyphosis Index (KI), 4) kyphosis angle, and 5) spinal canal radius. The data were analyzed by sex and age. Maximum spinal curvature depth occurred at T6, irrespective of age and sex. It continuously increased with age. Spinal curvature depth was generally larger in females than males in particular in children and in the 75+ age group. Results from this research are among the first to quantify the effect of diverse factors, such as age and sex, on detailed thoracic spine anatomy using a large and continuous sample of pediatric and adult CT scans. The results can be used to help understand the occurrence of severe injury in low severity crashes.
CitationParenteau, C., Caird, M., Kohoyda-Inglis, C., Holcombe, S. et al., "Characterization of Thoracic Spinal Development by Age and Sex with a Focus on Occupant Safety," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0520, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0520.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- DeVivo, M.J. , “Causes and Costs of Spinal Cord Injury in the United States,” Spinal Cord 35(12):809-813, 1997.
- Sekhon, L.H.S. and Fehlings, M.G. , “Epidemiology, Demographics, and Pathophysiology of Acute Spinal Cord Injury,” Spine 26(245):S2-S12, 2001.
- McElhaney, J.H., Nightingale, R.W., Winkelstein, W.A., Cahncey, V.A., and Myers, B.S. , “Biomechanical Aspects of Cervical Trauma,” . In: Nahum, A.M., Melvin, J.W., editors. Accidental Injury, Biomechanics and Prevention. Second Edition. (New York, Springer-Verlag, 324), 369-2010.
- Parenteau, C.S. and Viano, D.C. , “Spinal Fracture-Dislocations and Spinal Cord Injuries in Motor Vehicle Crashes,” Traffic Inj Prev. 15(7):694-700, 2014, doi:10.1080/15389588.2013.867434.
- Pintar, F.A., Yoganandan, N., and Maiman, D.J. , “Thoracolumbar Spine Fractures in Frontal Impact Crashes,” Annals of Advanced in Automotive Medicine 56:277-283, 2012.
- Tang, L., Zheng, J., Hu, J. , “A Numerical Investigation of Factors Affecting Lumbar Spine Injuries in Frontal Crashes,” Accid Anal Prev. 136:105400, 2019, 10.1016/j.aap.2019.105400 [Epub ahead of print].
- Bilston, L.E., Clarke, E.C., and Brown, J. , “Spinal Injury in Car Crashes: Crash Factors and the Effects of Occupant Age,” Inj Prev. 17(4):228-232, 2011.
- Vasavada, A.N., Danaraj, J., and Siegmund, G.P. , “Head and Neck Anthropometry, Vertebral Geometry and Neck Strength in Height-Matched Men and Women,” J Biomech. 41:114-121, 2008.
- Vogel, L.C. and Anderson, C.J. , “Spinal Cord Injuries in Children and Adolescents: A Review,” J Spinal Cord Med. 26:193-203, 2003.
- Yoganandan, N., Ray, G., Pintar, F.A., Myklebust, J.B. et al. , “Stiffness and Strain Energy Criteria to Evaluate the Threshold of Injury to an Intervertebral Joint,” J Biomech. 22:135-142, 1989.
- Viano, D., Parenteau, C., and White, S. , “Influence of DISH, Ankylosis, Spondylosis and Osteophytes on Serious-to-Fatal Spinal Fractures and Cord Injury in Rear Impacts,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1028, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1028.
- Firooznia, H., Ahn, J.H., Rafii, M., and Ragnarsson, K.T. , “Sudden Quadriplegia after a Minor Trauma, the Role of Preexisting Spinal Stenosis,” Surg Neurol. 23(2):165-168, 1985.
- Bey, T., Waer, A., Walter, F.G., Fortune, J. et al. , “Spinal Cord Injury with a Narrow Spinal Canal: Utilizing Torg’s Ratio Method of Analyzing Cervical Spine Radiographs,” The Journal of Emergency Medicine 16(1):79-82, 1998.
- Bailes, J.E. , “Experience with Cervical Stenosis and Temporary Paralysis,” J Neurosurg Spine 2:11-16, 2005.
- Zhang, L., Chen, H.B., Wang, Y., Zhang, L.Y. et al. , “Cervical Spinal Canal Narrowing and Cervical Neurological Injuries,” Chin J Traumatol. 15(1):36-41, 2012.
- Koyanagi, I., Iwasaki, Y., Hida, K., Akino, M. et al. , “Acute Cervical Cord Injury without Fracture or Dislocation of the Spinal Column,” J Neurosurg. 93(1 Suppl):15-20, 2000 Jul.
- Santanello, S.A., Falcone, R., Poka, A., and Johnson, J. , “Incomplete Quadriplegia Resulting from Minor Trauma: Initial Presentation of Ossification of the Posterior Longitudinal Ligament,” J Trauma 50(3):578-580, 2001.
- Bailes, J.E., Petschauer, M., Guskiewicz, M., and Marano, G. , “Management of Cervical Spine Injuries in Athletes,” J Athl Train 42(1):126-134, 2007.
- Viano, D.C. and Parenteau, C.S. , “Serious Injury in Very-Low and Very-High Speed Rear Impacts,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1485, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1485.
- Ailon, T., Shaffrey, C.I., Lenke, L.G., Harrop, J.S., Smith, J.S. , (2015) “Progressive Spinal Kyphosis in the Aging Population,” Neurosurgery;77 Suppl 4:S164-72. 10.1227.
- Katzman, W.B. , , Wanek, I.L., Shepherd, J.A., Sellmeyer, D.E., “Age-Related Hyperkyphosis: Its Causes, Consequences, and Management. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2010 Jun; 40(6): 352-360, 0.2519/jospt.2010.3099.
- Holcombe, S.A., Wang, S., and Grotberg, J.B. , “Age-Related Changes in Thoracic Skeletal Geometry of Elderly Females,” Traffic Injury Prevention 18(sup1):S122-S128, 2017, doi:10.1080/15389588.2017.130952.
- Davis, M.S., Isaacs, J.L., Graber, M.A., and Fisher, J.L. , “Thoracic Spine Extension Injuries in Occupants with Pre-Existing Conditions during Rear End Collisions,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1222, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1222.
- Milne, J.S. and Williamson, J. , “A Longitudinal Study of Kyphosis in Older People,” Age Ageing 12(3):225-233, 1983.
- Parenteau, C.S., Holcombe, S., Zhang, P., Kokoyda-Inglis, C., and Wang, S. , “The Effect of Age on Fat and Bone Properties along the Vertebral Spine,” SAE Int. J. Trans. Safety 1(2):226-240, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-1244.
- Parenteau, C.S., Zhang, P., Holcombe, S., and Wang, S. , “Characterization of Vertebral Angle and Torso Depth by Gender and Age Groups with a Focus on Occupant Safety,” Traffic Inj Prev. 15(1):66-72, 2014, doi:10.1080/15389588.2013.829217.
- Parenteau, C.S., Wang, N., and Wang, S. , “Quantification of Pediatric and Adult Cervical Vertebra-Anatomical Characteristics by Age and Gender for Automotive Application,” Traffic Injury Prevention 15(6), 2014.
- Agnusdei, D., Civitelli, R., Camporeale, A., Parisi, G. et al. , “Age-Related Decline of Bone Mass and Intestinal Calcium Absorption in Normal Males,” Calcif Tissue Int. 63(3):197-201, 1998.
- Melton, L.J., Kan, S.H., Wahner, H.W., and Riggs, B.L. , “Lifetime Fracture Risk: An Approach to Hip Fracture Risk Assessment Based on Bone Mineral Density and Age,” J Clin Epidemiol. 41(10):985-994, 1988.
- Sone, T., Tomomitsu, T., Miyake, M., Takeda, N., and Fukunaga, M. , “Age-Related Changes in Vertebral Height Ratios and Vertebral Fracture,” Osteoporos Int. 7(2):113-118, 1997.
- Ruyssen-Witrand, A., Gossec, L., Kolta, S., Dougados, M., Roux, C. , “Vertebral Dimensions as Risk Factor of Vertebral Fracture in Osteoporotic Patients: A Systematic Literature Review,” Osteoporos Int. 2007 Sep;18(9):1271-8. Epub 2007 Mar 6.
- Bruno, A.G., Anderson, D.E., D'Agostino, J., and Bouxsein, M.L. , “The Effect of Thoracic Kyphosis and Sagittal Plane Alignment on Vertebral Compressive Loading,” J Bone Miner Res. 27(10):2144-2151, 2012, doi:10.1002/jbmr.1658.
- Kasai, T., Ikata, T., Katoh, S., Miyake, R., and Tsubo, M. , “Growth of the Cervical Spine with Special Reference to Its Lordosis and Mobility,” Spine 21:2067-2073, 1996.
- Stemper, B.D., Pintar, F.A., and Rao, R.D. , “The Influence of Morphology on Cervical Injury Characteristics,” Spine 36(25 suppl):S180-S186, 2011.
- Chazono, M., Tanaka, T., Kumagae, Y., Sai, T., and Marumo, K. , “Ethnic Differences in Pedicle and Bony Spinal Canal Dimensions Calculated from Computed Tomography of the Cervical Spine: A Review of the English-Language Literature,” European Spine Journal 21(8):1451-1458, 2012.
- Fon, G.T., Pitt, M.J., and Thies, A.C. Jr. , “Thoracic Kyphosis: Range in Normal Subjects,” AJR Am J Roentgenol 134:979-983, 1980.
- Nishida, N., Izumiyama, T., Asahi, R., Iwanaga, H., Yamagata, H., Mihara, A., Daisuke, N., Imajo, Y., Suzuki, H., Funaba, M., Sugimoto, S., Fukushima, M., Sakai, T. , “Changes in the Global Spine Alignment in the Sitting Position in an Automobile, Spine J. 2019 Dec 7, pii: S1529-9430(19)31117-9. doi:10.1016/j.spinee.2019.11.016. [Epub ahead of print]
- Vrtovec, T., Pernuš, F., and Likar, B. , “A Review of Methods for Quantitative Evaluation of Spinal Curvature,” European Spine Journal 18(5):593-607, 2009.
- Milne, J.S., Maule, M.M., and Williamson, J. , “Method of Sampling in a Study of Older People with a Comparison of Respondents and Non-Respondents,” British Journal of Preventive and Social Medicine 25:37-41, 1971.
- Milne, J.S. and Lauder, I.J. , “Age Effect in Kyphosis and Lordosis in Adults,” Annals of Human Biology 1(3):327-337, 1974.
- Ensrud, K.E., Black, D.M., Harris, F., Ettinger, B., and Cummings, S.R. , “Correlates of Kyphosis in Older Women. The Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group,” J Am Geriatr Soc 45:682-687, 1997.
- Aebli, N., Rüegg, T.B., Wicki, A.G., Petrou, N., and Krebs, J. , “Predicting the Risk and Severity of Acute Spinal Cord Injury after a Minor Trauma to the Cervical Spine,” Spine J. 13(6):597-604, 2013 Jun.
- Aebli, N., Wicki, A.G., Rüegg, T.B., Petrou, N., Eisenlohr, H., Krebs, J. , “The Torg-Pavlov Ratio for the Prediction of Acute Spinal Cord Injury after a Minor Trauma to the Cervical Spine,” Spine J. 2013 Jun;13(6):605-12. doi:10.1016/j.spinee.2012.10.039. Epub 2013 Jan 11.
- Song, K.J., Choi, B.W., Kim, S.J., Kim, G.H. et al. , “The Relationship between Spinal Stenosis and Neurological Outcome in Traumatic Cervical Spine Injury: An Analysis Using Pavlov's Ratio, Spinal Cord Area, and Spinal Canal Area,” Clin Orthop Surg. 1(1):11-18, 2009 Mar.
- Morishita, Y., Naito, M., Hymanson, H., Miyazaki, M. et al. , “The Relationship between the Cervical Spinal Canal Diameter and the Pathological Changes in the Cervical Spine,” Eur Spine J. 18(6):877-883, 2009 Jun.
- Burney, R.E., Maio, R.F., Maynard, F., and Karunas, R. , “Incidence, Characteristics, and Outcome of Spinal Cord Injury at Trauma Centers in North America,” Arch Surg. 128(5):596-599, 1993.
- Katzman, W.B., Vittinghoff, E., Kado, D.M. . “Age-Related Hyperkyphosis, Independent of Spinal Osteoporosis, Is Associated with Impaired Mobility in Older Community-Dwelling Women,” Osteoporos Int. 2011 Jan;22(1):85-90. doi:10.1007/s00198-010-1265-7. Epub 2010 May 18.
- Senthil, P., Sudhakar, S., Radhakrishnan, R., and Jeyakumar, S. , “Efficacy of Corrective Exercise Strategy in Subjects with Hyperkyphosis,” Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation 30(6):1285-1289, Nov 1, 2017.
- Torg, J.S., R.J., Naranja, Pavlov, H., Galinat, B.J., Warren, R., Stine, R.A. , “The Relationship of Developmental Narrowing of the Cervical Spinal Canal to Reversible and Irreversible Injury of the Cervical Spinal Cord in Football Players,” J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1996;78:1308-1314.
- Torg, J.S., Pavlov, H., Genuario, S.E. et al. , “Neurapraxia of the Cervical Spinal Cord with Transient Quadriplegia,” J Bone Joint Surg Am. 68:1354-1370, 1986.
- Pavlov, H. and Torg, J.S. , “Robie B Add Cervical Spinal Stenosis Determination with Vertebral Body Ratio Method,” Radiology 164(3):771-775, 1987.