This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Method to Evaluate the Acoustic Performance of the Pillar Filler Foam in a Truck Cab
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The truck cab is made of many structural members like hinge, A/B/C - pillar, rocker, roof rails, headliner, quarter panels, cross-members at the floor and other body panels. For an acoustic example, the source energy travels easily from one end to another end through pillars. To reduce these acoustic effects, the filler foams were added inside the pillars. The proper usage of filler design and filler material type produces the optimal sound response at the driver head space location.
In this paper, an analytical method is used to evaluate the acoustic performance of the fillers as described above and the method also avoids the expensive full vehicle tests. The statistical energy analysis (SEA) model simulations and post-processing techniques were used to evaluate the results quickly with an acceptable level of accuracy.
It has proven that the effect of the foam thickness and foam coverage area of the fillers can be evaluated and helped to achieve the optimal sound response at the driver head location.
CitationJayasheela, P., Patra, S., and Alvarez, R., "Method to Evaluate the Acoustic Performance of the Pillar Filler Foam in a Truck Cab," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0505, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0505.
- Lyon, R.H. and DeJong, R.G. , “Theory and Application of Statistical Energy Analysis.”
- Lyon, R.H. , “Statistical Energy Analysis of Dynamical Systems: Theory and Applications.”
- Fahy, F.J. , “Statistical Energy Analysis: A Critical Overview.”
- Zhang, J., Xiao, X., Sheng, X., Zhang, C., Wang, R., and Jin, X. , “SEA and Contribution Analysis for Interior Noise of a High Speed Train.”
- Mohamed, Z., and Wang, X. , “A Deterministic and Statistical Energy Analysis of Tyre Cavity Resonance Noise.”
- ESI Group , “VA One 2018 User Guide.”
- ESDU , “An Introduction to Statistical Energy Analysis,” Item 99009, 1999.
- Culla, A., D’Ambrogio, W., Fregolent, A., and Milana, S. , “Vibroacoustic Optimization Using a Statistical Energy Analysis Model,” J. Sound Vib..
- Visintainer, A. and Saha, P. , “Acoustical Study of Cavity Fillers for Vehicle Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 977931, presented at the SAE Noise and Vibration Conference and Exposition.