This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Bearing Fault Diagnosis of the Gearbox Using Blind Source Separation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Gearbox fault diagnosis is one of the core research areas in the field of rotating machinery condition monitoring. The signal processing-based bearing fault diagnosis in the gearbox is considered as challenging as the vibration signals collected from acceleration transducers are, in general, a mixture of signals originating from an unknown number of sources, i.e. an underdetermined blind source separation (UBSS) problem. In this study, an effective UBSS-based algorithm solution, that combines empirical mode decomposition (EMD) and kernel independent component analysis (KICA) method, is proposed to address the technical challenge. Firstly, the nonlinear mixture signals are decomposed into a set of intrinsic mode function components (IMFs) by the EMD method, which can be combined with the original observed signals to reconstruct new observed signals. Thus, the original problem can be effectively transformed into over-determined BSS problem. Then, the whitening process is carried out to convert the over-determined BSS into determined BSS, which can be solved by the KICA method. Finally, the ant lion optimization (ALO) is adopted to further enhance the performance of the EMD-KICA method. The proposed solution is assessed through simulation experiments for non-linearly mixed bearing vibration signals, and the numerical result demonstrates the effectiveness of the proposed algorithmic solution.
CitationZhong, H., Liu, J., Wang, L., Ding, Y. et al., "Bearing Fault Diagnosis of the Gearbox Using Blind Source Separation," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0436, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0436.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Sprekeler, H., Zito, T., and Wiskott, L. , “An Extension of Slow Feature Analysis for Nonlinear Blind Source Separation,” The Journal of Machine Learning Research 15(1):921-947, 2014.
- Mirgolbabaei, H., Echekki, T., and Smaoui, N. , “A Nonlinear Principle Component Analysis Approach for Turbulent Combustion Composition Space,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 39(9):4622-4633, 2014.
- Pham, D.T. , “Blind Separation of Instantaneous Mixture of Sources Via an Independent Component Analysis,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 44(11):2768-2779, 2015.
- Li, Z., Kruger, U., Xie, L. et al. , “Adaptive KPCA Modeling of Nonlinear Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 63(9):2364-2376, 2015.
- Liu, X.M. and Liu, J.S. , “Measurement of Soil Properties Using Visible and Short Wave-near Infrared Spectroscopy and Multivariate Calibration,” Measurement 46:3808-3814, 2013.
- Fan, J.C., Qin, J.S., and Wang, Y.Q. , “Online Monitoring of Nonlinear Multivariate Industrial Processes Using Filtering KICA-PCA,” Control Engineering Practice 22:205-216, 2014.
- Amini, F. and Hedayati, Y. , “Underdetermined Blind Modal Identification of Structures by Earthquake and Ambient Vibration Measurements via Sparse Component Analysis,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 366:117-132, 2016.
- Huang, E., Shen, Z., Long, S.R., Wu, Z.H. et al. , “The Empirical Mode Decomposition and the Hilbert Spectrum for Nonlinear and Non-Stationary Time Series Analysis,” Proc R Soc Lond A 454:903-995, 1998, 1971.
- Zhang, Y.W. , “Enhanced Statistical Analysis of Nonlinear Processes Using KPCA, KICA and SVM,” Chemical Engineering Science 64(5):801-811, 2009.
- Wu, Z.H. and Huang, N.E. , “Ensemble Empirical Mode Decomposition: A Noise-Assisted Data Analysis Method,” Adv Adapt Data Anal 01(1):1-41, 2009.
- Ypma, A. , “Learning Methods for Machine Vibration Analysis and Health Monitoring,” Applied Sciences 13-18, 2001.
- Leong, W.Y., Liu, W., and Mandic, D.P. , “Blind Source Extraction: Standard Approaches and Extensions to Noisy and Post-Nonlinear Mixing,” Journal Neurocomputing 71(10-12):2344-2355, 2008.