This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Sound Design Process with Utilization of Industrial Styling Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This report will introduce a new engine sound design concept and propose a design process.
In sound design for automotive development of popular vehicles, it is common to seek to enhance the state of the existing marketed vehicle in order to meet further demands from customers. For standout models such as sports vehicles and flagship vehicles, sound design commonly reflects the sound ideals of the manufacturer’s branding or engineers. Each case has common point that the sound direction is determined by itself clearly. However, in this way, it is difficult to create abstract concept sound. Because it is no direction for the sound.
Therefore, this paper examines ways to achieve a new sound that satisfies a sound concept based on an unprecedented abstract concept “wood”. The reason why sound concept is “wood”, it is the difficult to make as a new engine sound and good study to reveal usefulness of new sound design process.
Therefore, the authors devised a new sound design process that would be necessary to design abstract concept sounds. The original sound design process was referred from industrial vehicle exterior and interior styling design process.
First, which is the most important step; we defined the concept “wood” by verbalizing adjectives for concrete. It is important to share the direction of the sound. To be specific, the Semantic Differential method with various sound subjective evaluation and factor analysis decided adjectives.
After the directionality of the sound design was decided by adjectives, in order to realize it, acoustic analysis and paired comparison method was performed with general impact sound.
Finally, the original engine sound was proved to achieve a target concept “wood” engine sound by sound subjective evaluation and prototype vehicle driving test. At the same time, original sound design process was clarified the usefulness.
CitationKondo, T., Hara, S., Torii, K., Yoshioka, K. et al., "Engine Sound Design Process with Utilization of Industrial Styling Design," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0402, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0402.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
- Nagamachi , M. Sensory Engineering Approach to Automobile Journal of JSAE 43 1 94 100 1989
- Kataoka , A. Perceived Quality Applied to Static Evaluation of Vehicles Journal of JSAE 61 6 23 28 2007
- Kusuda , H. Brand and Sensibility Journal of JSAE 61 6 29 34 2007
- Sato , H. Kansei Evaluation for the Front Grill Design of Automobile Journal of JSKE 16 1 51 60 2017
- Minamimoto , S. et al. Clarification of Relationship between Proportion Items and Impressions of 1.5 BOX Mini-Car Design Journal of JSKE 17 1 139 148 2018
- Ito , K. et al. Evaluation of “Feelings of Excitement” on Presenting Information with “In-Vehicle System” by Using Physiological Indices Journal of JSKE 16 3 321 331 2017
- Suzuki , M. et al. Skilled and Unskilled Drivers’ Mechanism of Gap Acceptance in Turning Across Opposite Traffic Journal of JSKE 11 3 453 457 2012
- Doi , T. et al. Effects of Knowledge of In-vehicle GUI Operation on Driving and GUI Tasks Journal of JSKE 17 2 233 241 2018
- Yasuda , K. et al. Influence of Road Landscape Elements on Comfort Evaluation Journal of JSKE 17 4 405 4141 2018
- Terazawa , N. et al. Evaluation Method of Engine Sound Quallity During Acceleration Transactions of JSAE 29 4 95 100 1998
- Noumura , K. et al. Sound Quality Evaluation Technique of Vehicle in Consideration of Auditory Characteristic Honda R&D Technical Review 9 131 139 1997
- Noumura , K. The Extraction of the Physical Factor with Correlation for Perception of the Amplitude Modulation Sound Acoustic Society of Japan Spring Meeting Proceedings 2003 545 546
- Yoshida , J. Relationship between Vehicle Exterior Styling and Sound Quality Rating to the Acceleration Sound Transactions of JSAE 46 6 1105 1110 2015
- Torii , K. and Noumura , K. An Objective Assessment Method of Combustion Noise Characteristics in Vehicle Interiors SAE Int. J. Veh. Dyn. Stab., and NVH 2 4 245 246 2018 https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1283
- Yasuo , I. A Support System for Development of Sporty Sound and Its Application Transactions of JSAE 35 1 221 226 2004
- Takeshi , H. Sound Design of LEXUS LFA Journal of JSAE 64 7 100 101 2010
- Takeshi , H. Psychological Meanings and Modalities of Acoustics on a Sports Car Journal of JSAE 65 10 37 42 2011
- Kondo , K. Development of New Subaru Boxer Sound Journal of JSAE 60 4 66 72 2006
- Terazawa , N. et al. A New Method of Engine Sound Design for Car Interior Noise Using a Psychoacoustic Index SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0406 2004 https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0406
- Chang , K.-J. et al. A Study on the Strategy and Implementing Technology for the Development of Luxurious Driving Sound SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0035 2004 https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0035
- Kim , S. et al. A Systematic Approach to Engine Sound Design for Enhancing Sound Character by Active Sound Design SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1756 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1756
- Scheuren , J. , et al. Active Design Automotive Engine Sound Inter Noise 2002 2002
- Terazawa , N. et al. Objective Evaluation of Exciting Engine Sound in Passenger Compartment during Acceleration SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0177 2000 https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0177
- Genuit , K. Sound Quality Metrics for Vehicle Interior Noise 2011 2011
- Williams , R. et al. Using an Interactive NVH Simulator to Capture and Understand Customer Opinions About Vehicle Sound Quality SAE Technical Paper 2007-26-036 2007 https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-26-036
- Ming-Hung , L.U. , et al. Target Setting and Source Contribution for Sound Quality of a Motorcycle Inter Noise 2014 2014
- Torii , K. and Tsuruta , T. Technique for Front-Loading Countermeasures Against Deterioration of Sound Quality in Vehicle Interior due to Rapid Combustion in an SI Engine JSAE/SAE Powertrain, Fuel and Lubricants International Meeting, Kyoto August 2019
- Rolf , S. Active Noise Control and Active Sound Design - Enabling Factors for New Powertrain Technologies Download File SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1408 2010 https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1408
- Oliver , E. Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupe Electric Drive NVH Development and Sound Design of an Electric Sports Car SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1783 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1783
- Matthew , M. et al. System for Augmenting the In-Cabin Sound of Electric Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1757 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1783
- Kyoung-Jin , C. et al. Technology of an Emotional Engine Sound Designing for Active Sound Control Using Order Balance and Musical Instrument Sound SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1782 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1782
- Takao , H. , et al. Subjective Estimation of Running Car Interior Noise -Part1 Transactions of JSAE 42 73 78 1989
- Hashimoto , T. , et al. Subjective Estimation of Running Car Interior Noise -Part2 Transactions of JSAE 43 129 133 1990
- Ishimitsu , S. Active Sound Quality Control Based on Subjective Preference SAE Technical Paper 2017-32-0034 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-32-0034
- Kuang , C.W. Engine Sound Quality Evaluation Using Semantic Differential Method Proceedings of the Human Factors Society 36th Annual Meeting 1992
- Shibatani , N. , et al. Study of Sound Quality Control of Engine Noise and Its Evaluation Inter Noise 2016 2016