This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Sound Design Process with Utilization of Industrial Styling Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This report will introduce a new engine sound design concept and propose a design process.
In sound design for automotive development of popular vehicles, it is common to seek to enhance the state of the existing marketed vehicle in order to meet further demands from customers. For standout models such as sports vehicles and flagship vehicles, sound design commonly reflects the sound ideals of the manufacturer’s branding or engineers. Each case has common point that the sound direction is determined by itself clearly. However, in this way, it is difficult to create abstract concept sound. Because it is no direction for the sound.
Therefore, this paper examines ways to achieve a new sound that satisfies a sound concept based on an unprecedented abstract concept “wood”. The reason why sound concept is “wood”, it is the difficult to make as a new engine sound and good study to reveal usefulness of new sound design process.
Therefore, the authors devised a new sound design process that would be necessary to design abstract concept sounds. The original sound design process was referred from industrial vehicle exterior and interior styling design process.
First, which is the most important step; we defined the concept “wood” by verbalizing adjectives for concrete. It is important to share the direction of the sound. To be specific, the Semantic Differential method with various sound subjective evaluation and factor analysis decided adjectives.
After the directionality of the sound design was decided by adjectives, in order to realize it, acoustic analysis and paired comparison method was performed with general impact sound.
Finally, the original engine sound was proved to achieve a target concept “wood” engine sound by sound subjective evaluation and prototype vehicle driving test. At the same time, original sound design process was clarified the usefulness.
CitationKondo, T., Hara, S., Torii, K., Yoshioka, K. et al., "Engine Sound Design Process with Utilization of Industrial Styling Design," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0402, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0402.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Nagamachi, M. , “Sensory Engineering Approach to Automobile,” Journal of JSAE 43(1):94-100, 1989.
- Kataoka, A. , “Perceived Quality Applied to Static Evaluation of Vehicles,” Journal of JSAE 61(6):23-28, 2007.
- Kusuda, H. , “Brand and Sensibility,” Journal of JSAE 61(6):29-34, 2007.
- Sato, H. , “Kansei Evaluation for the Front Grill Design of Automobile,” Journal of JSKE 16(1):51-60, 2017.
- Minamimoto, S. et al. , “Clarification of Relationship between Proportion Items and Impressions of 1.5 BOX Mini-Car Design,” Journal of JSKE 17(1):139-148, 2018.
- Ito, K. et al. , “Evaluation of “Feelings of Excitement” on Presenting Information with “In-Vehicle System” by Using Physiological Indices,” Journal of JSKE 16(3):321-331, 2017.
- Suzuki, M. et al. , “Skilled and Unskilled Drivers’ Mechanism of Gap Acceptance in Turning Across Opposite Traffic,” Journal of JSKE 11(3):453-457, 2012.
- Doi, T. et al. , “Effects of Knowledge of In-vehicle GUI Operation on Driving and GUI Tasks,” Journal of JSKE 17(2):233-241, 2018.
- Yasuda, K. et al. , “Influence of Road Landscape Elements on Comfort Evaluation,” Journal of JSKE 17(4):405-4141, 2018.
- Terazawa, N. et al. , “Evaluation Method of Engine Sound Quallity During Acceleration,” Transactions of JSAE 29(4):95-100, 1998.
- Noumura, K. et al. , “Sound Quality Evaluation Technique of Vehicle in Consideration of Auditory Characteristic,” Honda R&D Technical Review 9:131-139, 1997.
- Noumura, K. , “The Extraction of the Physical Factor with Correlation for Perception of the Amplitude Modulation Sound,” in Acoustic Society of Japan Spring Meeting Proceedings, 2-5-3, 2003, 545-546.
- Yoshida, J. , “Relationship between Vehicle Exterior Styling and Sound Quality Rating to the Acceleration Sound,” Transactions of JSAE 46(6):1105-1110, 2015.
- Torii, K. and Noumura, K. , “An Objective Assessment Method of Combustion Noise Characteristics in Vehicle Interiors,” SAE Int. J. Veh. Dyn. Stab., and NVH 2(4):245-246, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1283.
- Yasuo, I. , “A Support System for Development of Sporty Sound and Its Application,” Transactions of JSAE 35(1):221-226, 2004.
- Takeshi, H. , “Sound Design of LEXUS LFA,” Journal of JSAE 64(7):100-101, 2010.
- Takeshi, H. , “Psychological Meanings and Modalities of Acoustics on a Sports Car,” Journal of JSAE 65(10):37-42, 2011.
- Kondo, K. , “Development of New Subaru Boxer Sound,” Journal of JSAE 60(4):66-72, 2006.
- Terazawa, N. et al. , “A New Method of Engine Sound Design for Car Interior Noise Using a Psychoacoustic Index,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0406, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0406.
- Chang, K.-J. et al. , “A Study on the Strategy and Implementing Technology for the Development of Luxurious Driving Sound,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0035, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0035.
- Kim, S. et al. , “A Systematic Approach to Engine Sound Design for Enhancing Sound Character by Active Sound Design,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1756, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1756.
- Scheuren, J., et al. “Active Design Automotive Engine Sound,” in Inter Noise 2002, 2002.
- Terazawa, N. et al. , “Objective Evaluation of Exciting Engine Sound in Passenger Compartment during Acceleration,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0177, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0177.
- Genuit, K. , “Sound Quality Metrics for Vehicle,” in Interior Noise 2011, 2011.
- Williams, R. et al. , “Using an Interactive NVH Simulator to Capture and Understand Customer Opinions About Vehicle Sound Quality,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-26-036, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-26-036.
- Ming-Hung, L.U., et al. “Target Setting and Source Contribution for Sound Quality of a Motorcycle,” in Inter Noise 2014, 2014.
- Torii, K. and Tsuruta, T. , “Technique for Front-Loading Countermeasures Against Deterioration of Sound Quality in Vehicle Interior due to Rapid Combustion in an SI Engine,” in JSAE/SAE Powertrain, Fuel and Lubricants International Meeting, Kyoto, August 2019
- Rolf, S. , “Active Noise Control and Active Sound Design - Enabling Factors for New Powertrain Technologies Download File,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1408, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1408.
- Oliver, E. , “Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupe Electric Drive NVH Development and Sound Design of an Electric Sports Car,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1783, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1783.
- Matthew, M. et al. , “System for Augmenting the In-Cabin Sound of Electric Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1757, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1783.
- Kyoung-Jin, C. et al. , “Technology of an Emotional Engine Sound Designing for Active Sound Control Using Order Balance and Musical Instrument Sound,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1782, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1782.
- Takao, H., et al. “Subjective Estimation of Running Car Interior Noise -Part1,” Transactions of JSAE, 42, 73-78, 896050, 1989.
- Hashimoto, T., et al. “Subjective Estimation of Running Car Interior Noise -Part2,” Transactions of JSAE, 43, 129-133, 906023, 1990.
- Ishimitsu, S. , “Active Sound Quality Control Based on Subjective Preference,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-32-0034, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-32-0034.
- Kuang, C.W. , “Engine Sound Quality Evaluation Using Semantic Differential Method,” in Proceedings of the Human Factors Society 36th Annual Meeting, 1992.
- Shibatani, N., et al. “Study of Sound Quality Control of Engine Noise and Its Evaluation,” in Inter Noise 2016, 2016.