This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Kinetic Investigation of Pressure and Temperature Effects on Burning Characteristics of n-Heptane/Air/Hydrogen up to Near Lean Burn Limits
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Incomplete-combustion and misfire are the hurdles in internal combustion engines to run on ultra-lean mixture, whereas high thermal efficiency has been achieved at lean mixture. The burning characteristics of n-heptane with 0% and 30% hydrogen additions were studied at 393K-453K and 100kPa-300kPa up to near lean burn limits, λ=0.8-2.0. The flame appeared in spherical shape only by 37-mJ ignition energy (IE) at λ=0.8-1.5, while further lean mixture, ≥1.6, could be ignited only by 3000-mJ with the distorted flame shape. The flame buoyed in the mixture when burning velocity calculated by kinetic mechanism was equal or less than 19.83 cm/s at the initial conditions of λ=1.8, 393K and 100kPa. The thermal instability under impact of initial pressure and temperature was higher at lean mixture than at stoichiometric mixture. The ultra-lean mixtures from λ=1.8 to λ=1.6 at 393K, λ=1.9 to λ=1.7 at 423K and λ=2.0 to λ=1.8 at 453K were under the impact of buoyancy when initial pressure was increased from 100kPa to 300kPa (higher initial pressure, more λ under buoyancy effect). The change in initial temperature, from 393K to 423K, decreased the buoyancy region from λ=1.8 to λ=2.0 at 100kPa, λ=1.7 to λ=1.9 at 200kPa and λ=1.6 to λ=1.8 at 300kPa. OH mole fraction linearly correlated to the burning characteristics. It was concluded that the quantity of OH mole fraction from 8.4447×10-3 to 5.2028×10-3 for H2=0% and 8.6274×10-3 to 5.2494×10-3 for H2=30% was sufficient in the mixture to initiate the combustion by 37mJ IE at 393K and 100kPa, whereas the OH mole fraction quantity in the mixture less than 5.2028×10-3 for H2=0% and 5.2494×10-3 for H2=30% required more ignition energy of 3000mJ. Buoyancy appeared when the quantity of OH mole fraction in the mixture was ≤3.0159×10-3 for H2=0% and ≤3.0556×10-3 for H2=30% at 393K and 100kPa.
CitationAkram, M., Liu, F., Wu, H., and Hussain, H., "Experimental and Kinetic Investigation of Pressure and Temperature Effects on Burning Characteristics of n-Heptane/Air/Hydrogen up to Near Lean Burn Limits," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0343, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0343.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Pettinen, R., Kaario, O., and Larmi, M. , “Dual-Fuel Combustion Characterization on Lean Conditions and High Loads,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0759, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0759.
- Kozarac, D., Bozic, M., Vucetic, A., Krajnovic, J., and Sjeric, M. , “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of a Dual Fuel Operation of Turbocharged Engine at Mid-High Load,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-04-0122, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-24-0122.
- Liu, J. and Dumitrescu, C. , “Experimental Investigation of a Natural Gas Lean-Burn Spark Ignition Engine with Bowl-In-Piston Combustion Chamber,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0559, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0559.
- Bhasker, J.P. and Porpatham, E. , “Effects of Compression Ratio and Hydrogen Addition on Lean Combustion Characteristics and Emission Formation in a Compressed Natural Gas Fuelled Spark Ignition Engine,” Fuel 208:260-270, 2017.
- Li, X.R., Zhou, H., Su, L., Chen, Y. et al. , “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Lateral Swirl Combustion System for DI Diesel Engines under Low Excess Air Ratio Conditions,” Fuel 184:672-680, 2016.
- Li, W., Liu, Z., Wang, Z., Dou, H. et al. , “Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of Effects of Equivalence Ratio on Mixture Properties, Combustion, Thermal Efficiency and Exhaust Emissions of a Pilot-Ignited NG Engine at Low Loads,” Fuel 171:125-135, 2016.
- Cho, J., Park, S., and Song, S. , “The Effects of the Air-Fuel Ratio on a Stationary Diesel Engine under Dual-Fuel Conditions and Multi-Objective Optimization,” Energy 115884, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2019.115884.
- Li, R., Liu, Z., Han, Y., Tan, M. et al. , “Experimental Study of the Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Ethanol, Diesel-Gasoline, n-Heptane-Iso-Octane, n-Heptane-Ethanol and Decane-Ethanol in a Constant Volume Vessel,” Fuel 232(May):233-250, 2018.
- Sarkar, A. and Saha, U.K. , “Role of Global Fuel-Air Equivalence Ratio and Preheating on the Behaviour of a Biogas Driven Dual Fuel Diesel Engine,” Fuel 232(March):743-754, 2018.
- El Shenawy, E.A., Elkelawy, M., Bastawissi, H.A.E., Panchal, H., and Shams, M.M. , “Comparative Study of the Combustion, Performance, and Emission Characteristics of a Direct Injection Diesel Engine with a Partially Premixed Lean Charge Compression Ignition Diesel Engines,” Fuel 249(January):277-285, 2019.
- Aklouche, F.Z., Loubar, K., Bentebbiche, A., Awad, S., and Tazerout, M. , “Experimental Investigation of the Equivalence Ratio Influence on Combustion, Performance and Exhaust Emissions of a Dual Fuel Diesel Engine Operating on Synthetic Biogas Fuel,” Energy Convers. Manag. 152(August):291-299, 2017.
- Bradley, D., Hicks, R.A., Lawes, M., Sheppard, C.G.W., and Woolley, R. , “The Measurement of Laminar Burning Velocities and Markstein Numbers for Iso-Octane-Air and Iso-Octane-n-Heptane-Air Mixtures at Elevated Temperatures and Pressures in an Explosion Bomb,” Combust. Flame 115(1-2):126-144, 1998.
- Davis, S.G. and Law, C.K. , “Laminar Flame Speeds and Oxidation Kinetics of Iso-Octane-Air and n-Heptane-Air Flames,” Twenty-Seventh Symp. Combust. Combust. Inst. 27(1):521-527, 1998.
- Kumar, K., Freeh, J.E., Sung, C.J., and Huang, Y. , “Laminar Flame Speeds of Preheated Iso-Octane/O2/N2 and n-Heptane/O2/N2 Mixtures,” J. Propuls. Power 23(2):428-436, 2007.
- Jerzembeck, S., Peters, N., Pepiot-Desjardins, P., and Pitsch, H. , “Laminar Burning Velocities at High Pressure for Primary Reference Fuels and Gasoline: Experimental and Numerical Investigation,” Combust. Flame 156(2):292-301, 2009.
- Mannaa, O., Mansour, M.S., Roberts, W.L., and Chung, S.H. , “Laminar Burning Velocities at Elevated Pressures for Gasoline and Gasoline Surrogates Associated with RON,” Combust. Flame 162(6):2311-2321, 2015.
- Comandini, A., Chaumeix, N., Maclean, J.D., and Ciccarelli, G. , “Combustion Properties of n-Heptane/Hydrogen Mixtures,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 44(3):2039-2052, 2019.
- Edgar, T.F., Himmelblau, D.M., and Lasdon, L. , Optimization of Chemical Process (New York: McGraw-Hill International Editions, 2001), ISBN:0070393591.
- Zabetakis, M.G., Scott, G.S., and Jones, G.W. , “Limits of Flammability of Paraffin Hydrocarbons in Air,” Ind. Eng. Chem. 43(9):2120-2124, 1951.
- Mohler dos Santos, C.C. and Zanoelo, E.F. , “Flammability Limits of Iso-Butanol/Iso-Octane/n-Heptane Blends,” Fire Saf. J. 88:40-44, May 2016, 2017.
- Marshall, S.P., Taylor, S., Stone, C.R., Davies, T.J., and Cracknell, R.F. , “Laminar Burning Velocity Measurements of Liquid Fuels at Elevated Pressures and Temperatures with Combustion Residuals,” Combust. Flame 158(10):1920-1932, 2011.
- Galmiche, B., Halter, F., and Foucher, F. , “Effects of High Pressure, High Temperature and Dilution on Laminar Burning Velocities and Markstein Lengths of Iso-Octane/Air Mixtures,” Combust. Flame 159(11):3286-3299, 2012.
- Xiao, P., Lee, C., Wu, H., Akram, M.Z., and Liu, F. , “Impacts of Hydrogen-Addition on Methanol-Air Laminar Burning Coupled with Pressures Variation Effects,” Energy 187:115997, 2019.
- Kelley, A.P. and Law, C.K. , “Nonlinear Effects in the Extraction of Laminar Flame Speeds from Expanding Spherical Flames,” Combust. Flame 156(9):1844-1851, 2009.
- Zhang, S., Lee, T.H., Wu, H., Pei, J. et al. , “Experimental and Kinetic Studies on Laminar Flame Characteristics of Acetone-Butanol-Ethanol (ABE) and Toluene Reference Fuel (TRF) Blends at Atmospheric Pressure,” Fuel 232(April):755-768, 2018.
- Tang, C., Huang, Z., Jin, C., He, J. et al. , “Laminar Burning Velocities and Combustion Characteristics of Propane-Hydrogen-Air Premixed Flames,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 33(18):4906-4914, 2008.
- Mehl, M., Pitz, W.J., Westbrook, C.K., and Curran, H.J. , “Kinetic Modeling of Gasoline Surrogate Components and Mixtures under Engine Conditions,” Proc. Combust. Inst. 33(1):193-200, 2011.
- Seiser, R., Pitsch, H., Seshadri, K., Pitz, W.J., and Curran, H.J. , “Extinction and Autoignition of n-Heptane in Counterflow Configuration,” Proc. Combust. Inst. 28(2):2029-2037, 2000.
- Li, Z., Han, W., Liu, D., and Chen, Z. , “Laminar Flame Propagation and Ignition Properties of Premixed Iso-Octane/Air with Hydrogen Addition,” Fuel 158:443-450, 2015.
- Cui, G., Zeng, W., Li, Z., Fu, Y. et al. , “Experimental Study of Minimum Ignition Energy of Methane-Air Mixtures at Low Temperatures and Elevated Pressures,” Fuel 175:257-263, 2016.
- Miao, H., Lu, L., and Huang, Z. , “Flammability Limits of Hydrogen-Enriched Natural Gas,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 36(11):6937-6947, 2011.
- Chen, Z., Qin, X., Xu, B., Ju, Y., and Liu, F. , “Studies of Radiation Absorption on Flame Speed and Flammability Limit of CO2 Diluted Methane Flames at Elevated Pressures,” Proc. Combust. Inst. 31:2693-2700, 2007.
- Mannaa, O.A., Mansour, M.S., Roberts, W.L., and Chung, S.H. , “Influence of Ethanol and Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Laminar Burning Behaviors of Fuels for Advanced Combustion Engines (FACE-C) Gasoline and Its Surrogate,” Energy and Fuels 31(12):14104-14115, 2017.
- Baloo, M., Dariani, B.M., Akhlaghi, M., and Chitsaz, I. , “Effect of Iso-Octane/Methane Blend on Laminar Burning Velocity and Flame Instability,” Fuel 144:264-273, 2015.
- Kelley, A.P., Liu, W., Xin, Y.X., Smallbone, A.J., and Law, C.K. , “Laminar Flame Speeds, Non-Premixed Stagnation Ignition, and Reduced Mechanisms in the Oxidation of Iso-Octane,” Proc. Combust. Inst. 33(1):501-508, 2011.
- Li, Q., Hu, E., Cheng, Y., and Huang, Z. , “Measurements of Laminar Flame Speeds and Flame Instability Analysis of 2-Methyl-1-Butanol-Air Mixtures,” Fuel 112:263-271, 2013.
- Liu, F., Bao, X., Gu, J., and Chen, R. , “Onset of Cellular Instabilities in Spherically Propagating Hydrogen-Air Premixed Laminar Flames,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 37(15):11458-11465, 2012.
- Xiao, P., Wu, H., Wang, Z., Zhang, S. et al. , “Experimental and Kinetic Investigation on the Effects of Hydrogen Additive on Laminar Premixed Methanol-Air Flames,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 44(39):22263-22281, 2019.
- Santner, J., Haas, F.M., Ju, Y., and Dryer, F.L. , “Uncertainties in Interpretation of High Pressure Spherical Flame Propagation Rates due to Thermal Radiation,” Combust. Flame 161(1):147-153, 2014.
- Baloo, M., Dariani, B.M., Akhlaghi, M., and AghaMirsalim, M. , “Effects of Pressure and Temperature on Laminar Burning Velocity and Flame Instability of Iso-Octane/Methane Fuel Blend,” Fuel 170(424):235-244, 2016.
- Yu, H., Han, W., Santner, J., Gou, X. et al. , “Radiation-Induced Uncertainty in Laminar Flame Speed Measured from Propagating Spherical Flames,” Combust. Flame 161(11):2815-2824, 2014.
- Qiao, L., Gu, Y., Dahm, W.J.A., Oran, E.S., and Faeth, G.M. , “Near-Limit Laminar Burning Velocities of Microgravity Premixed Hydrogen Flames with Chemically-Passive Fire Suppressants,” Proc. Combust. Inst. 31:2701-2709, 2007.
- Li, X., Hu, E., Meng, X., Lu, X., and Huang, Z. , “High-Temperature Oxidation Kinetics of Iso-Octane/n-Butanol Blends-Air Mixture,” Energy 133:443-454, 2017.
- Wang, J., Huang, Z., Tang, C., Miao, H., and Wang, X. , “Numerical Study of the Effect of Hydrogen Addition on Methane-Air Mixtures Combustion,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 34(2):1084-1096, 2009.
- Wang, J., Huang, Z., Tang, C., and Zheng, J. , “Effect of Hydrogen Addition on Early Flame Growth of Lean Burn Natural Gas-Air Mixtures,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 35(13):7246-7252, 2010.
- Yamamoto, K., Ozeki, M., Hayashi, N., and Yamashita, H. , “Burning Velocity and OH Concentration in Premixed Combustion,” Proc. Combust. Inst. 32(1):1227-1235, 2009.
- Hu, E., Huang, Z., He, J., Jin, C., and Zheng, J. , “Experimental and Numerical Study on Laminar Burning Characteristics of Premixed Methane-Hydrogen-Air Flames,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 34(11):4876-4888, 2009.
- Cheng, Y., Tang, C., and Huang, Z. , “Kinetic Analysis of H2 Addition Effect on the Laminar Flame Parameters of the C1-C4 n-Alkane-Air Mixtures: From One Step Overall Assumption to Detailed Reaction Mechanism,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 40(1):703-718, 2015.