This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Use of Butanol Blend Fuels on Diesel Engines - Effects on Combustion and Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Butanol, a four-carbon alcohol, is considered in the last years as an interesting alternative fuel, both for Diesel and for gasoline application. Its advantages for engine operation are: good miscibility with gasoline and diesel fuels, higher calorific value than ethanol, lower hygroscopicity, lower corrosivity and possibility of replacing aviation fuels. Like ethanol, butanol can be produced as a biomass-based renewable fuel or from fossil sources.
In the research project, DiBut (Diesel and butanol) addition of butanol to Diesel fuel was investigated from the points of view of engine combustion and of influences on exhaust aftertreatment systems and emissions. One investigated engine (E1) was with emission class “EU Stage 3A” for construction machines, another one, engine (E2) was HD Euro VI.
The most important findings are: with higher butanol content, there is a lower heat value of the fuel and there is lower torque at full load. With Bu30 the conversion rates of CO and HC in the oxidation catalyst (DOC) are slightly lower, light-off temperatures are a little higher and NO2 production is lower. The PM-emissions with Bu30 are lower, so the soot loading of DPF takes a longer time. No impacts of Bu30 on NOx reduction rates of the SCR-system and on the non-legislated gaseous emission components were found.
The operation of engine (E1) with Bu30 (30% vol butanol in fuel) was instable at lower part load due to the lower Cetane Number of the blend fuel. The electronic control system of the engine (E2) compensated very well the varying properties of fuels up to Bu30. For both investigated engines, the butanol rate (Bu30) can be considered as a limit for a problem-free engine starting and operation.
CitationEngelmann, D., Czerwinski, J., Nauroy lng, H., Comte, P. et al., "Use of Butanol Blend Fuels on Diesel Engines - Effects on Combustion and Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0333, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0333.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- http://www.butamax.com, joint-venture of BP & Du Pont, Google, “BP Biobutanol.”
- http://borregaard.com, Further info by the author.
- Rarbach, M. and Söltl, Y. , “Cellulosic Ethanol from Agricultural Residues,” MTZ 4/2013, S.5.
- Giakoumis, E.G., Rakopoulos, C.D., Dimaratos, A.M., and Rakopoulos, D.C. , “Exhaust Emissions with Ethanol or n-Butanol Diesel Fuel Blends during Transient Operation: A Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 17:170-190, 2013.
- Lapuerta, M., Hernández, J.J., Rodriguez-Fernández, J., Barba, J. et al. , “Emission Benefits from the Use of n-Butanol Blends in a Euro 6 Diesel Engine,” International Journal of Engine Research 19(10), 2018.
- Siwale, L., Kristof, L., Adam, T., Bereczky, A., Mbarawa, M., Penninger, A., Kolesnikov, A. , “n-Butanol-Diesel (D2) Blend Fired in a Turbo-Charged Compression Ignition Engine: Performance and Combustion Characteristic,” http://dx.doi.org/10.5772/intechopen.72879, March 2018.
- Shukla, M.K., Tharke, G.D., Saxena, R.C., Sharma, Y.K., Jain, A.K., and Singal, S.K. , Butanol/Diesel Blends as a CI Engine Fuel: Physicochemical and Engine Perfor-mance Characteristics Evaluation. in TAE Technische Akademie Esslingen, 9th International Colloquium “Fuels”, Jan. 15-17, 2013.
- Anuj, P., Manisch, V., Sahil, G., and Naveen, K. , “Performance and Emission Characteristics of Isobutanol-Diesel Blend in Water Cooled CI Engine Employing EGR with EGR Intercooler,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0151 , September 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-24-0151.
- Soloiu, V., Duggan, M., Harp, S., Vlcek, B., and Williams, D. , “PFI (Port Fuel Injection) of n-Butanol and Direct Injection of Biodiesel to Attain LTC (Low-Temperature Combustion) for Low-Emissions Idling in a Compression Engine,” Energy 52:143-154, 2013.
- Han, X., Yang, Z., Wang, M., Tjong, J., and Zheng, M. , “Clean Combustion of n-Butanol as a Biofuel Next Generation for Diesel Engines,” Applied Energy 198, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.12.059.
- Kaack, M., Weiskirch, Ch., and Eilts, P. , “Alcoholic Biofuels as an Admixture Component for Conventional and Alternative Diesel Combustion Processes,” MTZ 07-08/2009, Volume 70.
- Brassat, A., Thewes, M., Müther, M., and Pischinger, S. , “Massgeschneiderte Kraftstoffe aus Biomasse für Ottomotoren,” MTZ 12:988, 2011.
- Wallner, Th., Ickes, A., Lawyer, K., Ertl, D., and Williamson, R. , “Higher Alcohols in Multi-Component Blends with Gasoline - Experimental and Analytical Assessment. 14. Tagung “Der Arbeitsprozess des Verbrennungsmotors,” TU Graz, Sept. 2013.
- Marchitto, L., Mazzei, A., Merola, S.S., Tornatore, C., and Valentino, G. , “Optical Investigations of Combustion Process in SI and CI Engines Fuelled with Butanol Blends,” in TAE Technische Akademie Esslingen, 9th International Colloquium “Fuels”, Jan. 15-17, 2013.
- Irimescu, A., Tornatore, C., Merola, S.S., and Valentino, G. , “Integrated Diagnostics for Combustion Investigation in a DISI Engine Fueled with Butanol and Gasoline at Different Load Settings,” in TAE Technische Akademie Esslingen, 10th International Colloquium “Fuels”, Stuttgart/Ostfildern, January 2015, S. 117.
- Tornatore, C., Marchitto, L., Valentino, G., Corcione, F.E. et al. , “Optical Diagnostics of the Combustion Process in a PFI SI Boosted Engine Fueled with Butanol-Gasoline Blend,” Energy 45(1):277-287, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2012.03.006.
- Merola, S., Tornatore, C., Marchitto, L., Valentino, G. et al. , “Experimental Investigations of Butanol-Gasoline Blends Effects on the Combustion Process in a SI Engine,” International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering, 2012, doi:10.1186/2251-6832-3-6.
- Szwaja, S. and Naber, J.D. , “Combustion of n-Butanol in a Spark-Ignition IC Engine,” Fuel 89(7):1573-1582, 2010, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2009.08.043.
- Gu, X., Huang, Z., Cai, J., Gong, J., and Lee, C. , “Emission Characteristics of a Spark-Ignition Engine Fuelled with Gasoline-n-Butanol Blends in Combination with EGR,” Fuel 93:611-617, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2011.11.040.
- Dernotte, J., Mounaim-Rousselle, C., Halter, F., and Seers, P. , “Evaluation of Butanol-Gasoline Blends in a Port Fuel-Injection, Spark-Ignition Engine,” Oil Gas Sci Technol - Rev IFP 65:345-351, 2010, doi:10.2516/ogst/2009034.
- Vojtisek-Lom, M., Pechout, M., and Mazac, M. , “Real-Word On-Road Exhaust Emissions from an Ordinary Gasoline Car Operated on E85 and on Butanol-Gasoline Blend,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0102 , Sept. 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-32-0058.
- Liu, H., Wang, X., Zhang, D., Dong, F. et al. , “Investigation on Blending Effects of Gasoline Fuel with N-butanol, DMF, and Ethanol on the Fuel Consumption and Harmful Emissions in a GDI Vehicle,” Energies 2019:12(10), 1845, https//doi.org/10.3390/en12101845.
- Urbansky, F. , “The Potential of Synthetic Fuels,” MTZ, 01|2020, S.8.
- Czerwinski, J., Zimmerli, Y., Neubert, T., Heitzer, A., and Kasper, M. , “Injection, Combustion and (Nano) Particle Emissions of a Modern HD-Diesel Engine with GTL, RME & ROR,” Technical Paper JSAE 20077072/SAE 2007-01-2015, International Fuels and Lubricants Meeting, Kyoto, Japan, July 2007, https://www.jsae.or.jp/en/, www.sae.org.
- Czerwinski, J., Zimmerli, Y., Meyer, M., and Kasper, M. , “A Modern HD-Diesel Engine with Rapeseed Oil, DPF & SCR,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1382 , April 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1382.
- Mayer, A., Czerwinski, J., Wyser, M., and Heitzer, A. , “Particle Emissions of Diesel Busses with RME/Diesel Blends. Euro Oil & Fuel,” Journal of Scientific Works of Institute of Petrol & Gas 172:37, 2010.
- Ulrich, A., Mayer, A., Kasper, M., Wichser, A., and Czerwinski, J. , “Emission of Metal-Oxide Particles from IC-Engines,” Journal of the Polish Scientific Society of Combustion Engines (PTNSS), PTNSS-2011-SS1-109, Combustion Engines, No. 1/2011 (144), 72, PTNSS Conference, Radom, Poland June 2011.
- Mayer, A., Czerwinski, J., and Kasper, M. , “Nanosize Metal Oxide Particle Emissions from Diesel- and Petrol-Engines,” in Proceedings of the ASME 2011 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference ICEF2011, Oct. 2011, Morgantown, WV, Technical Paper ICEF2011-60045.
- Stepien, Z.; Czerwinski, J.; Urzedowska, W.; Oleksiak, S. : Research on Emissions and Engine Lube Oil Deterioration of Diesel Engines with BioFuels (RME). SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1302 , Detroit, April 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1302.
- Venkatesan, E.P., Kandhasamy, A.; Sivalingam, A. .; Kumar, A. , Ramalingam, K. , Joshua, P. , Balasubramanian, D. .: Performance and Emission Reduction Characteristics of Cerium Oxide Nanoparticle-Water Emulsion Biofuel in Diesel Engine with Modified Coated Piston. Environ Sci Pollut Res 26 , 27362-27371 (2019) doi:10.1007/s11356-019-05773-z.
- Elumalai, P.V., Annamalai, K., and Dhinesh, B. , “Effects of Thermal Barrier Coating on the Performance, Combustion and Emission of DI Diesel Engine Powered by Biofuel Oil-Water Emulsion,” J Therm Anal Calorim 137(593), 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-018-7948-6, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10973-018-7948-6.
- Balasubramanian, D., Venugopal, I., and Viswanathan, K. , “Characteristics Investigation on Di Diesel Engine with Nano-Particle as an Additive in Lemon Grass Oil,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0081 , 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-28-0081.
- Ramalingam, K., Kandasamy, A., Balasubramanian, D., Palani, M. et al. , “Forcasting of an ANN Model for Predicting Behaviour of Diesel Engine Energised by a Combination of Two Low Viscous Biofuels,” Environ Sci Pollut Res, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-019-06222-7.
- Heintzel, A. , “Quo Vadis, Mobility Transformation?,” MTZ 11|2019, S.10, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-to-X.
- Lennox, S., Lukács, K., Torok, A., Akos, B. et al. , “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of n-Butanol/Diesel Fuel Blend in a Turbo-Charged Compression Ignition Engine,” Fuel 107:409-418, 2013.
- Srivastava, D.K., Agarwal, A., Datta, A., and Maurya, R.K. , “Advances in Internal Combustion Engine Research,” Energy, Environment, and Sustainability. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-7575-9.