This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of Spray Collapses from Multi-Hole and Single-Hole Injectors Using High-Speed Photography
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this paper, the differences between multi-hole and single-hole spray contour under the same conditions were compared by using high-speed photography. The difference between the contour area of multi-hole and that of single-hole spray was used as a parameter to describe the degree of spray collapse. Three dimensionless parameters (i.e. degree of superheat, degree of undercooling, and nozzle pressure ratio) were applied to characterize inside-nozzle thermodynamic, outside-nozzle thermodynamic and kinetic factors, respectively. In addition, the relationship between the three dimensionless parameters and the spray collapse was analyzed. A semi-empirical equation was proposed for evaluation of the degree of collapse based on dimensionless parameters of flash and non-flash boiling sprays respectively.
CitationXinhui, L., Shen, Y., Gong, Y., Ma, X. et al., "Comparison of Spray Collapses from Multi-Hole and Single-Hole Injectors Using High-Speed Photography," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0321, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0321.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Sher, E., Bar-Kohany, T., and Rashkovan, A. , “Flash-boiling Atomization,” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 34(4):417-439, 2008.
- Hoffmann, G., Befrui, B., Berndorfer, A., Piock, W.F., and Varble, D.L. , “Fuel System Pressure Increase for Enhanced Performance of GDi Multi-Hole Injection Systems,” SAE Int. J. Engines 7(1):519-527, 2014, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1209.
- Senda, J., Wada, Y., Kawano, D., and Fujimoto, H. , “Improvement of Combustion and Emissions in Diesel Engines by Means of Enhanced Mixture Formation Based on Flash Boiling of Mixed Fuel,” Int J Engine Res 9:15-27, 2008.
- She, J.P. , “Experimental Study on Improvement of Diesel Combustion and Emissions Using Flash Boiling Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0341, 2010, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0341.
- Kramer, M., Kull, E., and Wensing, M. , “Flashboiling-Induced Targeting Changes in Gasoline Direct Injection Sprays,” Int. J. Engine Res. 17(1):97-107, 2016.
- Chan, Q., Bao, Y., and Kook, S. , “Effects of Injection Pressure on the Structural Transformation of Flash-Boiling Sprays of Gasoline and Ethanol in a Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection (SIDI) Engine,” Fuel 130:228-240, 2014.
- Guo, H., Ma, X., Li, Y., Liang, S. et al. , “Effect of Flash Boiling on Microscopic and Macroscopic Spray Characteristics in Optical GDI Engine,” Fuel 190:79-89, 2017.
- Zeng, W., Xu, M., Zhang, G., Zhang, Y., and Cleary, D.J. , “Atomization and Vaporization for Flash-Boiling Multi-Hole Sprays with Alcohol Fuels,” Fuel 95:287-297, 2012.
- Araneo, L. and Donde, R. , “Flash Boiling in a Multihole G-DI Injector - Effects of the Fuel Distillation Curve,” Fuel. 191:500-510, 2017.
- Schulz, F. and Beyrau, F. , “The Influence of Flash-Boiling on Spray-Targeting and Fuel Film Formation,” Fuel 208:587-594, 2017.
- Yang, S., Song, Z., Wang, T., and Yao, Z. , “An Experiment Study on Phenomenon and Mechanism of Flash Boiling Spray from a Multi-Hole Gasoline Direct Injector,” Atomization Sprays 23(5):379-399.
- Guo, H., Li, Y., Shen, Y. et al. , “Characterizing Propane Flash Boiling Spray from Multi-Hole GDI Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0278, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0278.
- Lacey, J., Poursadegh, F., Brear, M.J., Gordon, R. et al. , “Generalizing the Behavior of Flash-Boiling, Plume Interaction and Spray Collapse for Multi-Hole, Direct Injection,” Fuel 200(Supplement C):345-356, 2017.
- Aleiferis, P.G., Serras-Pereira, J., Van Romunde, Z. et al. , “Mechanisms of Spray Formation and Combustion from a Multi-Hole Injector with E85 and Gasoline,” Combustion and Flame 157(4):735-756, 2010.
- Aleiferis, P.G. and Van Romunde, Z.R. , “An Analysis of Spray Development with Iso-Octane, n-Pentane, Gasoline, Ethanol and n-Butanol from a Multi-Hole Injector under Hot Fuel Conditions,” Fuel 105:143-168, 2013.
- Aori, G., Hung, D.L.S., Zhang, M. et al. , “Effect of Nozzle Configuration on Macroscopic Spray Characteristics of Multi-Hole Fuel Injectors under Superheated Conditions,” Atomization Spray. 26:439-462, 2016.
- Wu, S., Xu, M., Hung, D.L.S. et al. , “Near-nozzle Spray and Spray Collapse Characteristics of Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection Fuel Injectors Under Sub-Cooled and Superheated Conditions,” Fuel 183:322-334, 2016.
- Dahlander, P. and Lindgren, R. , “Multi-Hole Injectors for DISI Engines: Nozzle Hole Configuration Influence on Spray Formation,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0136, 2008, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-0136.
- Gao, J., Moon, S., Zhang, Y. et al. , “Flame Structure of Wall-Impinging Diesel Fuel Sprays Injected by Group-Hole Nozzles,” Combustion and Flame 156(6):1263-1277, 2009.
- Nishida, K., Tian, J., Sumoto, Y. et al. , “An Experimental and Numerical Study on Sprays Injected from Two-Hole Nozzles for DISI Engines,” Fuel 88(9):1634-1642, 2009.
- Wood, A., Wigley, G., and Helie, J. , “Flash Boiling Sprays Produced by a 6-Hole GDI Injector,” in Proceedings of 17th International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics, Lisbon, Portugal, 2014.
- Chan, Q.N., Bao, Y., and Kook, S. , “Effects of Injection Pressure on the Structural Transformation of Flash-Boiling Sprays of Gasoline and Ethanol in a Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection (SIDI) Engine,” Fuel 130:228-240, 2014.
- Zhang, G., Xu, M., Zhang, Y., Zhang, M., and Cleary, D.J. , “Macroscopic Characterization of Flash-Boiling Multihole Sprays Using Planar Laser-Induced Exciplex Fluorescence. Part II: Cross-Sectional Spray Structure,” Atomization Sprays 23(3):265-278, 2013.
- Lacey, J., Poursadegh, F., Brear, M.J., Gordon, R. et al. , “Generalizing the Behavior of Flash-Boiling Plume Interaction and Spray Collapse for Multi-Hole Direct Injection,” Fuel 200:345-356, 2017.
- Guo, H., Li, Y., Xu, H., Shuai, S., and Zhang, H. , “Interaction between under-Expanded Flashing Jets: A Numerical Study,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 137:990-1000, 2019.
- Huang, Y., Huang, S., Huang, R. et al. , “Spray and Evaporation Characteristics of Ethanol and Gasoline Direct Injection in Non-Evaporating, Transition and Flash-Boiling Conditions,” Energy Conversion and Management 108:68-77, 2016.
- Guo, H., Ding, H., Li, Y. et al. , “Comparison of Spray Collapses at Elevated Ambient Pressure and Flash Boiling Conditions Using Multi-Hole Gasoline Direct Injector,” Fuel 199(Complete):125-134, 2017.
- Guo, H., Li, Y. et al. , “Numerical Investigation on Flashing Jet Behaviors of Single-Hole GDI Injector,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 130:50-59, 2019.
- Khaksarfard, R., Kameshki, M.R., and Paraschivoiu, M. , “Numerical Simulation of High Pressure Release and Dispersion of Hydrogen into Air with Real Gas Model,” Shock Waves 20(3):205-216, 2010.
- Xu, B.P., Wen, J.X., Dembele, S. et al. , “The Effect of Pressure Boundary Rupture Rate on Spontaneous Ignition of Pressurized Hydrogen Release,” Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries 22(3):279-287, 2009.
- Franquet, E., Perrier, V., Gibout, S. et al. , “Free Underexpanded Jets in a Quiescent Medium: A Review,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 77:25-53, 2015.
- Li, Y., Guo, H., Fei, S. et al. , “An Exploration on Collapse Mechanism of Multi-Jet Flash-Boiling Sprays,” Applied Thermal Engineering 134:20-28, 2018.
- Liu, Y., Pei, Y., Peng, Z. et al. , “Spray Development and Droplet Characteristics of High Temperature Single-Hole Gasoline Spray,” Fuel 191:97-105, 2017.
- Parker, T.E., Raimaldi, L.R., and Rawlins, W.T. , “A Comparative Study of Room-Temperature and Combustion Fuel Sprays near the Injector Tip Using Infrared Laser Diagnostics,” Atomization Sprays 8:565-600, 1998.
- Heldmann, M., Bornschlegel, S., and Wensing, M. , “Investigation of Jet-to-Jet Interaction in Sprays for DISI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1899, 2015, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-010-1899.