This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Port Water Injection on the Combustion Characteristics and Exhaust Emissions in a Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
It is well known that engine downsizing is still the main energy-saving technology for spark-ignition direct-injection (SIDI) engine. However, with the continuous increase of the boosting ratio, the gasoline engine is often accompanied by the occurrence of knocking, which has the drawback to run the engine at retarded combustion phasing. Besides, in order to protect the turbine blades from being sintered by high exhaust temperature, the strategies of fuel enrichment are often taken to reduce the combustion temperature, which ultimately leads to a high level of particulate number emission. Therefore, to address the issues discussed above, the port water injection (PWI) techniques on a 1.2-L turbocharged, three-cylinder, SIDI engine were investigated.
Measurements indicate that the optimization of spark timing has a significant impact on its performance. The two factors of the water substance itself and spark advance caused by the knock mitigation are trade-offs, which eventually affect the combustion performance. Under knock limited spark advance (KLSA) condition, we find that the application of port water injection could effectively advance the combustion phasing and reduce exhaust gas temperature, which makes it possible to eliminate fuel enrichment and further enhances the fuel economy improvement at the maximum power point. As a result, about 5.2%-18.4% improvements in the fuel economy are obtained under different engine operating conditions.
For the exhaust emissions, due to the increasing heat capacity of the mixture and the elimination of fuel enrichment, port water injection techniques cause an 85.3% reduction in particle number concentration. However, it shows that for a given λ, an increase in the water/fuel ratio would cause higher THC emissions, which is contributed to the occurrence of more quenching caused by higher peak combustion pressure. Finally, the potential of PWI on the engine combustion characteristics and emissions performance was revealed.
CitationFan, Y., Wu, T., Li, X., Xu, M. et al., "Influence of Port Water Injection on the Combustion Characteristics and Exhaust Emissions in a Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0294, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0294.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Toda, T. and Sakai, M. , “The New Toyota Inline 4-Cylinder 2.5L Gasoline Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1021, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-1021.
- Senecal, P.K. and Leach, F. , “Diversity in Transportation: Why a Mix of Propulsion Technologies Is the Way Forward for the Future Fleet,” Results in Engineering 4:100060, 2019.
- Heywood, J.B. , “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” 1988.
- Zhen, X., Wang, Y., Xu, S., Zhu, Y. et al. , “The Engine Knock Analysis-An Overview,” Applied Energy 92:628-636, 2012.
- Kim, J., Park, H., Bae, C., Choi, M., and Kwak, Y. , “Effects of Water Direct Injection on the Torque Enhancement and Fuel Consumption Reduction of a Gasoline Engine under High-Load Conditions,” International Journal of Engine Research 17(7):795-808, 2016.
- Rowe, M.R. and Ladd, G.T. , “Water Injection for Aircraft Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 460192, 1946, https://doi.org/10.4271/460192.
- Zhu, S., Hu, B., Akehurst, S., Copeland, C. et al. , “A Review of Water Injection Applied on the Internal Combustion Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 184:139-158, 2019.
- Hermann, I., Glahn, C., Kluin, M., Paroll, M., and Gumprich, W. , 2017, December, “Water Injection for Gasoline Engines-Quo Vadis?,” in International Conference on Knocking in Gasoline Engines, 299-321, Springer, Cham.
- Pauer, T., Frohnmaier, M., Walther, J., Schenk, P., Hettinger, A., and Kampmann, S. , Optimization of Gasoline Engines by Water Injection, in 37th International Vienna Motor Symposium, April 2016.
- Durst, B., Landerl, C., Poggel, J., and Schwarz, C. , 2017, BMW Water Injection: Initial Experience and Future Potentials, in 38th International Vienna Motor Symposium.
- Cordier, M., Lecompte, M., Malbec, L.M., Reveille, B. et al. , “Water Injection to Improve Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine Efficiency,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-1139, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1139.
- Iacobacci, A., Marchitto, L., and Valentino, G. , “Water Injection to Enhance Performance and Emissions of a Turbocharged Gasoline Engine under High Load Condition,” SAE International Journal of Engines 10(3):928-937, 2017.
- Wu, J., Kang, Z., Deng, J., Wu, Z. et al. , “Numerical Study of Intake Manifold Water Injection on Characteristics of Combustion and Emissions in a Heavy-Duty Natural Gas Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0562, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-0562.
- Battistoni, M., Grimaldi, C.N., Cruccolini, V., Discepoli, G., and De Cesare, M. , “Assessment of Port Water Injection Strategies to Control Knock in a GDI Engine through Multi-Cycle CFD Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-24-0034, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-24-0034.
- Sun, Y., Fischer, M., Bradford, M., Kotrba, A., and Randolph, E. , “Water Recovery from Gasoline Engine Exhaust for Water Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0369, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0369.
- d'Adamo, A., Berni, F., Breda, S., Lugli, M. et al. , “A Numerical Investigation on the Potentials of Water Injection as a Fuel Efficiency Enhancer in Highly Downsized GDI Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0393, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0393.
- Netzer, C., Franken, T., Seidel, L., Lehtiniemi, H., and Mauss, F. , “Numerical Analysis of the Impact of Water Injection on Combustion and Thermodynamics in a Gasoline Engine Using Detailed Chemistry,” SAE Int. J. Engines 11(6):1151-1166, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0200.
- De Bellis, V., Bozza, F., Teodosio, L., and Valentino, G. , “Experimental and Numerical Study of the Water Injection to Improve the Fuel Economy of a Small Size Turbocharged SI Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(2):550-561, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0540.
- Miganakallu, N., Naber, J.D., Rao, S., Atkinson, W., and Barros, S. , Experimental Investigation of Water Injection Technique in Gasoline Direct Injection Engine, in ASME 2017 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference, November 2017, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection.
- Marchitto, L., Tornatore, C., Costagliola, M.A., Iacobacci, A., and Valentino, G. , “Effect of Water Injection on Fuel Efficiency and Gaseous and PN Emissions in a Downsized Turbocharged SI Engine,” Journal of Energy Engineering 144(4):04018044, 2018.
- Hoppe, F., Thewes, M., Baumgarten, H., and Dohmen, J. , “Water Injection for Gasoline Engines: Potentials, Challenges, and Solutions,” International Journal of Engine Research 17(1):86-96, 2016.
- Golzari, R., Zhao, H., Hall, J., Bassett, M. et al. , “Impact of Intake Port Injection of Water on Boosted Downsized Gasoline Direct Injection Engine Combustion, Efficiency and Emissions,” International Journal of Engine Research 1468087419832791, 2019.
- Fu, X.Q., He, B.Q., Xu, S. et al. , “Potentials of External Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Water Injection for the Improvement in Fuel Economy of a Poppet Valve 2-Stroke Gasoline Engine Equipped with a Two-Stage Serial Charging System,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0859, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0859.
- Hoepke, B., Jannsen, S., Kasseris, E. et al. , “EGR Effects on Boosted SI Engine Operation and Knock Integral Correlation,” SAE Int. J. Engines 5(2):547-559, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-0707.
- Andrews, G.E. and Bradley, D. , “The Burning Velocity of Methane-Air Mixtures,” Combustion and Flame 19(2):275-288, 1972.