This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Calibration Using Global Optimization Methods with Customization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The automotive industry is subject to stringent regulations in emissions and growing customer demands for better fuel consumption and vehicle performance. Engine calibration, a process that optimizes engine performance by tuning engine controls (actuators), becomes challenging nowadays due to significant increase of complexity of modern engines. The traditional sweep-based engine calibration method is no longer sustainable. To tackle the challenge, this work considers two powerful global optimization methods: genetic algorithm (GA) and Bayesian optimization for steady-state engine calibration for single speed-load point. GA is a branch of meta-heuristic methods that has shown a great potential on solving difficult problems in automotive engineering. Bayesian optimization is an efficient global optimization method that solves problems with computationally expensive testing such as hyperparameter tuning in deep neural network (DNN), engine testing, etc. In real engine testing platform, only the limited number of testing (function evaluations) is available. We customized GA to cope with limited resource by tuning population size and designing self-adaptive mutation operators. Another challenge of engine calibration is that, in real engine testing platform, some solutions cannot even run completely due to the engine hardware limitations. These solutions, called non-operational solutions, are part of infeasible solutions and do not have any information about either objectives or constraints. A constraint repair algorithm is applied to handle non-operational solutions. The experimental study on high-fidelity engine model demonstrated that both customized GA and Bayesian optimization efficiently find solutions very close to global optimum both using less than 400 function evaluations. Bayesian optimization shows more stable performance and has better results even in the worst-case.
CitationZhu, L., Wang, Y., Pal, A., and Zhu, G., "Engine Calibration Using Global Optimization Methods with Customization," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0270, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0270.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Tayarani, N., Mohammad, H., Yao, X., and Hongming, X. , “Meta-Heuristic Algorithms in Car Engine Design: A Literature Survey,” IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation 19(5):609-629, 2015.
- Whitley, D. , “A Genetic Algorithm Tutorial,” Statistics and Computing 4(2):65-85, 1994.
- Deb, K. , “An Efficient Constraint Handling Method for Genetic Algorithms,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 186(2-4):311-338, 2000.
- Deb, K. and Beyer, H.-G. , “Self-Adaptive Genetic Algorithms with Simulated Binary Crossover,” Evolutionary Computation 9(2):197-221, 2001.
- Agrawal, R.B., Deb, K., and Agrawal, R.B. , “Simulated Binary Crossover for Continuous Search Space,” Complex Systems 9(2):115-148, 1995.
- Forrester, A.I.J. and Keane, A.J. , “Recent Advances in Surrogate-Based Optimization,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences 45(1-3):50-79, 2009.
- Srinivas, M. and Patnaik, L.M. , “Adaptive Probabilities of Crossover and Mutation in Genetic Algorithms,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics 24(4):656-667, 1994.
- Letham, B. et al. , “Constrained Bayesian Optimization with Noisy Experiments,” Bayesian Analysis, 2018.
- GT-Power , “Gamma Technologies,” https://www.gtisoft.com/gt-suite-applications/propulsion-systems/gt-power-engine-simulation-software/.
- Nielsen, H.B., Lophaven, S.N., and Søndergaard, J. , “DACE-a Matlab Kriging Toolbox,” 2002.
- Millo, F., Arya, P., and Mallamo, F. , “Optimization of Automotive Diesel Engine Calibration Using Genetic Algorithm Techniques,” Energy 158:807-819, 2018.
- Atkinson, C. and Mott, G. , “Dynamic Model-Based Calibration Optimization: An Introduction and Application to Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0026 , 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0026.
- Wang, Z., Zhu, Q., and Prucka, R. , “A Review of Spark-Ignition Engine Air Charge Estimation Methods,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0620 , 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0620.
- Berger, B. and Rauscher, F. , “Robust Gaussian Process Modelling for Engine Calibration,” IFAC Proceedings 45(2):159-164, 2012.
- Wang, Z., Zhu, Q., Prucka, R., Prucka, M., and Dourra, H. , “Observer-Based Cylinder Air Charge Estimation for Spark-Ignition Engines,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 139(10):102806, 2017.
- Janakiraman, V.M., Nguyen, X.L., and Assanis, D. , “Stochastic Gradient Based Extreme Learning Machines for Stable Online Learning of Advanced Combustion Engines,” Neurocomputing 177:304-316, 2016.
- Mosbach, S. et al. , “Iterative Improvement of Bayesian Parameter Estimates for an Engine Model by Means of Experimental Design,” Combustion and Flame 159(3):1303-1313, 2012.
- Kianifar, M.R., Campean, L.F., and Richardson, D. , “Sequential DoE Framework for Steady State Model Based Calibration,” SAE International Journal of Engines 6(2):843-855, 2013.
- Coello Coello, C.A. , “Theoretical and Numerical Constraint-Handling Techniques Used with Evolutionary Algorithms: A Survey of the State of the Art,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 191(11-12):1245-1287, 2002.
- Kramer, O. , “A Review of Constraint-Handling Techniques for Evolution Strategies,” Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing 2010, 2010.
- Mezura-Montes, E., Coello, C.A., and Coello , “Constraint-Handling in Nature-Inspired Numerical Optimization: Past, Present and Future,” Swarm and Evolutionary Computation 1(4):173-194, 2011.
- Helton, J.C. and Davis, F.J. , “Latin Hypercube Sampling and the Propagation of Uncertainty in Analyses of Complex Systems,” Reliability Engineering & System Safety 81(1):23-69, 2003.
- Jones, D.R., Schonlau, M., and Welch, W.J. , “Efficient Global Optimization of Expensive Black-Box Functions,” Journal of Global optimization 13(4):455-492, 1998.
- Brochu, E., Cora, V.M., and Nando De, F. , “A Tutorial on Bayesian Optimization of Expensive Cost Functions, with Application to Active User Modeling and Hierarchical Reinforcement Learning,” 2010, arXiv preprint arXiv:1012, 2599.
- Bull, A.D. , “Convergence Rates of Efficient Global Optimization Algorithms,” Journal of Machine Learning Research 12(Oct):2879-2904, 2011.
- Kandasamy, K., Schneider, J., and Póczos, B. , “High Dimensional Bayesian Optimisation and Bandits via Additive Models,” in International Conference on Machine Learning, 2015.
- Zaglauer, S. and Knoll, U. , “Evolutionary Algorithms for the Automatic Calibration of Simulation Models for the Virtual Engine Application,” IFAC Proceedings Volumes 45(2):177-181, 2012.
- Bertram, A.M., Zhang, Q., and Kong, S.-C. , “A Novel Particle Swarm and Genetic Algorithm Hybrid Method for Diesel Engine Performance Optimization,” International Journal of Engine Research 17(7):732-747, 2016.
- Jeong, S., Hasegawa, S., Shimoyama, K., and Obayashi, S. , “Development and Investigation of Efficient GA/PSO-Hybrid Algorithm Applicable to Real-World Design Optimization,” IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine 4(3):36-44, 2009.
- Donateo, T., Laforgia, D., Aloisio, G., and Mocavero, S. , “An Evolutionary Algorithm to Design Diesel Engines,” in 2005 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 2005, Vol. 1, 802-809, IEEE.
- Porto, D., Martinez, A., and Scimone, S. . “A Hybrid Engine Control System Based on Genetic Algorithms,” in The 11th WSEAS International Conference on SYSTEMS, 2007.
- Zhou, Q., Zhang, W., Cash, S., Olatunbosun, O. et al. , “Intelligent Sizing of a Series Hybrid Electric Power-Train System Based on Chaos-Enhanced Accelerated Particle Swarm Optimization,” Applied Energy 189:588-601, 2017.
- Sauermann, R., Boja, D., Kirschbaum, F., and Nelles, O. , “Particle Swarm Optimization for Automotive Model-Based Calibration,” IFAC Proceedings Volumes 43(7), 2010.
- Pal, A., Wang, Y., Zhu, L. and Zhu, G. , “Engine Calibration Optimization Based on Its Surrogate Models,” in ASME 2019 Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, DSCC 2019, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2019.
- Yu, X., Yao, X., Wang, Y., Zhu, L., and Filev, D. , “Domination-Based Ordinal Regression for Expensive Multi-Objective Optimization,” in 2019 IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence (SSCI), 2019, IEEE.
- Wong, P.K., Gao, X.H., In Wong, K., and Vong, C.M. , “Online Extreme Learning Machine Based Modeling and Optimization for Point-by-Point Engine Calibration,” Neurocomputing 277:187-197, 2018.
- Zitzler, E., Laumanns, M., and Thiele, L. , “SPEA2: Improving the Strength Pareto Evolutionary Algorithm,” TIK-Report 103, 2001.