This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
User Defined FE Based Connector Joints for Plastics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
To be published on April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Spot Welds are a category of welds used extensively in automotive structures, normally for metals. The fatigue analysis of such spot welds can be evaluated using (a) the Point 2 Point (P2P) method where a beam or bar is used to connect the 2 surfaces being joined, (b) a more modern approach where the 1D element is replaced with an “equivalent” brick element, or (c) a third approach that falls somewhere between where a “spider” and circular ring of elements, is used to represent the spot weld. In all 3 cases there is an assumption that the cross section is circular. For some specialist cases such as plastic connectors, the cross section is not circular so a new user defined weld is proposed. This paper will describe the approach that is based on the concept that a user generated tensor line can be used (equivalent to the theoretical Force/Moment to stress algorithms built into the P2P approach) along with special S-N curves create for different joint shapes.
CitationThesing, T., Bishop, N., Murthy, P., and Karger, O., "User Defined FE Based Connector Joints for Plastics," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0186, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- CAEfatigue Vibration (CFV) , “User Guide and Verification Manual,” Release 2019.1 FP2: CAEfatigue Limited, UK, 2019.
- CAEfatigue Vibration (CFV) “Quick Reference Guide,”(Release 2019.1 FP2): CAEfatigue Limited, UK, 2019.
- Kerr, S., Bishop, B., and Datta, S. , “Loads Conditioning for Frequency Domain Analysis,” in NAFEMS World Congress 2019, Paper NWC19-378, 2019.
- Bishop, N., Sweitzer, K., Ferreira, W.G., Cardoso, V. et al. , “Loads Cascading in the Frequency Domain,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0138, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-0138.
- Leisten, P., Bishop, N., and Spieth, A. , “Frequency Domain Fatigue Analysis of Exhaust Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1396, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-01-1396.
- Gannamani, R., Gupta, A., Bishop, N., and Caserio, A. , “Sine on Random Vibration Fatigue,” in NAFEMS World Congress, Stockholm, Sweden, June 2017.
- Nienkemper, R. and Bishop, N. , “Simultaneous Durability Assessment and Relative Random Analysis under Base Shake Loading Conditions,” in NAFEMS World Congress, Stockholm, Sweden, June 2017.
- Udayakumar, G., Murthy, P., Bishop, N., and Moolam, R. , “Creating Accurate Surrogate and/or Accelerated Loads for Known Models or Structural Systems Types,” in NAFEMS World Congress, Stockholm, Sweden, June 2017.
- Ferreira, W.G., Meehan, T.S., Bishop, N., and Cardoso, V.M. , “Comparative Study of Automotive System Fatigue Models Processed in the Time and Frequency Domain,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0377, 2016, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0377.
- Thesing, T. and Bishop, N. , “Modern Methods for Random Fatigue of Automotive Parts,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0372, 2016, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0372.
- Bishop, N., Kerr, S., Murthy, P., and Sweitzer, K. , “Time Vs Frequency Domain Analysis for Large Automotive Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0535, 2015, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0535.
- Bishop, N., Kerr, S., and Murthy, P. , “Advances Relating to Fatigue Calculations for Combined Random and Deterministic Loads,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0725, 2014, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0725.
- Bishop, N., Murthy, P., and Sweitzer, K. , “Advances Relating to Fatigue Calculations for Combined Random and Deterministic Loads,” in 13th International ASTM/ESIS Symposium on Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics (39th National Symposium on Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics), Jacksonville, FL., Nov 13-15, 2013.
- MIL-STD-810G , Department of Defense Test Standard Method, “Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests,” Oct 31, 2008.
- Dowling, N.E. , “Mean Stress Effects in Stress-Life and Strain-Life Fatigue,” in Fatigue 2004: Second SAE Brasil International Conference on Fatigue, São Paulo, Brasil, June 2004.
- Sweitzer, K.A., Bishop, N.W.M., and Genberg, V.L. , “Efficient Computation of Spectral Moments for Determination of Random Response Statistics,” in International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering - ISMA, Leuven, BE, 2004.
- Bishop, N.W.M. and Sherratt, F. , “Finite Element Based Fatigue Calculations,” in NAFEMS, 2000.
- SAE Fatigue Design Handbook, Third Edition, AE-22. SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA, 1997.
- Bishop, N., Sherratt, F. , “Fatigue Life Prediction from Power Spectral Density Data. Part 1, Traditional Approaches and Part 2, Recent Developments. Env. Eng., 2,” 1989.
- Hahn, O., Thesing, T., and Kurzok, J.R. , “Konzept für die numerische Auslegung durchsetzgefügter Blechbauteile,” FAT Schriftenreihe 146, 1999.
- Karger, O. , “Kunststoff-Nieten mit Infrarotlicht - Ein Prozessvergleich aus der Praxis, Technomer 2013,” Nov. 14-15, 2013, Chemnitz.
- Brückner, E., Gehde, M., Jahnke, T., and Kazmirzak, T. , “Plastic Riveting- Influences and Restictions with Regards to the Structure and the Process,” Joining Plastics 10, 2016.