This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Active Rear Axles Steering Controller For 8X8 Combat Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lateral dynamic control considered to be crucial to enhance the handling characteristics and stabilization of a vehicle as a safety demand. In this paper, active rear axles steering control system will be developed using an optimal quadratic regulator (LQR) control methodology. The controller aims to minimize the vehicle side slip and consequently increase its handling stability and transient state performance. The controller design has been utilized the independent steering of the vehicle’s 3rd and 4th axles as control inputs. Furthermore, the developed controller will be combined with a feedforward zero side slip (ZSS) controller based on the steady-state model of the vehicle and satisfying the Ackermann steering condition. In addition, the steady-state handling performance will be evaluated using the Skid Pad test. The transient state performance will be assessed at low Coefficient of Friction (CoF) surface using FMVSS 126 Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system test speed, while Open Loop Step Slalom Test will be used for assessing the controller at high CoF. The controllers will be implemented using MATLAB Simulink and will be simulated in a co-software simulation environment with Truck- Sim software. The results show a notable improvement in the steady and transient states handling performance in comparison with the Conventional, where the 3rd and 4th axles are fixed, and active 4th axle vehicle, where the 3rd axle is fixed. In addition, the controller succeeded to prevent the vehicle rollover and maintain a stable trajectory.
CitationAhmed, M., El-Gindy, M., Lang, H., and Omar, M., "Development of Active Rear Axles Steering Controller For 8X8 Combat Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0174, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0174.
- Cheli, F., Melzi, S., Sabbioni, E., and Vignati, M. , “Torque Vectoring Control of a Four Independent Wheel Drive Electric Vehicle,” in ASME 2013 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, 2013, V001T01A003-V001T01A003.
- Ghazali, M., Durali, M., and Salarieh, H. , “Vehicle Trajectory Challenge in Predictive Active Steering Rollover Prevention,” International Journal of Automotive Technology 18(3):511-521, 2017.
- Wang, R., Zhang, H., and Wang, J. , “Linear Parameter-Varying Controller Design for Four-Wheel Independently Actuated Electric Ground Vehicles with Active Steering Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 22(4):1281-1296, 2013.
- Yang, W., Feng, P., and Zhang, J. , “A Comprehensive Active-Steering Control Method for Improvement of Vehicle Handling Performance,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part K: Journal of Multi-body Dynamics, 3 232:413-425, 2018.
- Wang, X., Wang, W., Li, L., Shi, J., and Xie, B. , “Adaptive Control of Dc Motor Servo System with Application to Vehicle Active Steering,” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, 2019.
- Jalali, M., Khosravani, S., Khajepour, A., Chen, S.-k., and Litkouhi, B. , “Model Predictive Control of Vehicle Stability Using Coordinated Active Steering and Differential Brakes,” Mechatronics 48:30-41, 2017.
- Zhang, H. and Wang, J. , “Vehicle Lateral Dynamics Control through Afs/DYC and Robust Gain- Scheduling Approach,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 65(1):489-494, 2015.
- Tjonnas, J. and Johansen, T.A. , “Stabilization of Automotive Vehicles Using Active Steering and Adaptive Brake Control Allocation,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 18(3):545-558, 2009.
- Termous, H., Shraim, H., Talj, R., Francis, C., and Charara, A. , “Coordinated Control Strategies for Active Steering, Differential Braking and Active Suspension for Vehicle Stability, Handling, and Safety Improvement,” Vehicle System Dynamics 57(10):1494-1529, 2019.
- Fujita, K., Ohashi, K., Fukatani, K., Kamei, S. et al. , “Development of Active Rear-Steer System Applying H∞ − μ Synthesis,” SAE Transactions 1694-1701, 1998.
- Selmanaj, D., Corno, M., Sename, O., and Savaresi, S. , “Advantages of Rear Steer in Lti and Lpv Vehicle Stability Control,” in 52nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2013, 3523-3528.
- Park, K., Joa, E., and Yi, K. , “Rear-Wheel Steering Control for Enhanced Maneuverability of Vehicles,” SAE International, 2019.
- Huh, K., Kim, J., and Hong, J. , “Handling and Driving Characteristics for Six-Wheeled Vehicles,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 214(2):159-170, 2000.
- Chen, B.C., Yu, C.C., and Hsu, W.F. , “Steering Control of Six-Wheeled Vehicles Using Linear Quadratic Regulator Techniques,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 221(10):1231-1240, 2007.
- Kim, W., Yi, K., and Lee, J. , “Drive Control Algorithm for an Independent 8 in-Wheel Motor Drive Vehicle,” Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 25(6):1573, 2011.
- Kim, W., Yi, K., and Lee, J. , “An Optimal Traction, Braking, and Steering Coordination Strategy for Stability and Maneuverability of a Six-Wheel Drive and Six-Wheel Steer Vehicle,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of automobile engineering 226(1):3-22, 2012.
- Kim, C., Ashfaq, A.M., Kim, S., Back, S. et al. , “Motion Control of a 6wd/6ws Wheeled Platform with in-Wheel Motors to Improve its Maneuverability,” International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems 13(2):434-442, 2015.
- Russell, B. , “Development and Analysis of Active Rear Axle Steering for 8x8 Combat Vehicle,” Master’s thesis, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, 2018.
- Odrigo, A. , “Development of Multi-Wheel Drivetrain Control System for Future Electric Combat Vehicle,” Master’s thesis, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, 2017.
- Williams, D.E. , “Generalized Multi-Axle Vehicle Handling,” Vehicle System Dynamics 50(1):149-166, 2012.
- Shinners, S.M. , Modern Control System Theory and Design (John Wiley & Sons, 1998).
- Alves, S.B.D. , “Helicopter Flight Modeling and Robust Autonomous Control with Uncertain Dynamics,” Ph.D. thesis, Universidade da Beira Interior, 2012.
- Murray, R.M. , “Optimization-Based Control,” California Institute of Technology, CA, 2009, 111-128.
- Kalbat, A. , Linear Quadratic Gaussian (LQG) Control of Wind Turbines,” in 2013 3rd International Conference on Electric Power and Energy Conversion Systems, 2013, 1-5.
- Manchester, I.R. , “Amme4500: Guidance, Navigation, and Control Course Note University Of Sydney,” Technical report, University of Sydney, 2013.
- Wang, R., Hu, C., Yan, F., and Chadli, M. , “Composite Nonlinear Feedback Control for Path Following of Four-Wheel Independently Actuated Autonomous Ground Vehicles,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems 17(7):2063-2074, 2016.
- Hespanha, J.P. , Linear Systems Theory (Princeton University Press, 2018).
- Rajamani, R. , Vehicle Dynamics and Control (Springer Science & Business Media, 2011).
- Ragheb, H. , “Torque Control Strategy for Off-Road Vehicle Mobility,” Ph.D. thesis, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, 2014.
- D’Urso, P. , “Development of h∞ Control Strategy for a Multi-Wheeled Combat Vehicle,” Master’s thesis, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, 2016.
- Svenson, A.L. and Hac, A. , “Influence of Chassis Control Systems on Vehicle Handling and Rollover Stability,” Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, NHTSA, 05-0324:4, 2005.
- Panke, D.A., Ambhore, N.H., and Marathe, R.N. , “Review on Handling Characteristics of Road Vehicles,” Journal of Engineering Research and Applications (Int J Eng Res Appl) 4(7):178-182, 2014.
- Mohamed, A. , “Design and Development of Advanced Control Techniques for an Unmanned Ground Vehicle,” Electrical Engineering, Ph.D., 2018, 194.
- International Organization for Standardization , “Road Vehicles: Steady-State Circular Test Procedures ISO 4138,” 2012.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration , “Fmvss No. 126: Electronic Stability Control Systems,” Final Regulatory Impact Analysis, March 2007.