This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Decision Making and Trajectory Planning for Lane Change Control Inspired by Parallel Parking
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Lane-changing systems have been developed and applied to improve environmental adaptability of advanced driver assistant system (ADAS) and driver comfort. Lane-changing control consists of three steps: decision making, trajectory planning and trajectory tracking. Current methods are not perfect due to weaknesses such as high computation cost, low robustness to uncertainties, etc. In this paper, a novel lane changing control method is proposed, where lane-changing behavior is analogized to parallel parking behavior. In the perspective of host vehicle with lane-changing intention, the space between vehicles in the target adjacent lane can be regarded as dynamic parking space. A decision making and path planning algorithm of parallel parking is adapted to deal with lane change condition. The adopted algorithm based on rules checks lane-changing feasibility and generates desired path in the moving reference system at the same speed of vehicles in target lane. Compared to algorithm for static parking space, the uncertainty of the space between moving vehicles and host vehicle dynamics raises stricter requirements for algorithms. Works are conducted to deal with dynamically changing scenarios, such as design of safety zone and exit conditions to avoid collision. Simulation under PreScan-Simulink environment shows that the proposed method outperforms in lane change scenarios and achieves strong robustness to inter-vehicle dynamics.
CitationYu, L., Ru, Z., Lu, Z., Liang, G. et al., "Decision Making and Trajectory Planning for Lane Change Control Inspired by Parallel Parking," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0134, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0134.
- Wang, J., Zhang, Q., Zhang, Z., and YAN, X. , “Structured Trajectory Planning of Collision-Free Lane Change Using the Vehicle-Driver Integration Data,” Sci. China Technol. Sci. 59(5):825-831, 2016.
- Wang, Y.Y., Pan, D., Liu, Z., and Feng, R. , “Study on Lane Change Trajectory Planning Considering of Driver Characteristics,” in Intelligent and Connected Vehicles Symposium, 2018, 1-10.
- Connors, J. and Elkaim, G. , “Analysis of a Spline Based, Obstacle Avoiding Path Planning Algorithm,” in IEEE 65th Vehicular Technology Conference, 2007, 2565-2569.
- Chen, J., Zhao, P., Mei, T., and Liang, H. , “Lane Change Path Planning Based on Piecewise Bezier Curve for Autonomous Vehicle,” in Proceedings of 2013 IEEE International Conference on Vehicular Electronics and Safety, 2013, 17-22.
- Long, C., Dongfang, Q., Xing, X., Yingfeng, C., and Ju, X. , “Advances in Engineering Software a Path and Velocity Planning Method for Lane Changing Collision Avoidance of Intelligent Vehicle Based on Cubic 3-D Bezier Curve,” Adv. Eng. Softw. J. 132(2019):65-73, 2019.
- Feng, J., Ruan, J., and Li, Y. , “Study on Intelligent Vehicle Lane Change Path Planning and Control Simulation,” in IEEE International Conference on Information Acquisition, 2006, 683-688.
- Liu, Z., Zhang, T., and Wang, Y. , “Research on Local Dynamic Path Planning Method for Intelligent Vehicle Lane-Changing,” J. Adv. Transp. 2019, 2019.
- Wang, C. and Zheng, C. , “Lane Change Trajectory Planning and Simulation for Intelligent Vehicle Construction and Urban Planning,” Adv. Mater. Res. 671-674:2843-2846, 2013.
- Bai, H., Shen, J., Wei, L., and Feng, Z. , “Accelerated Lane-Changing Trajectory Planning of Automated Vehicles with Vehicle-to-Vehicle Collaboration,” J. Adv. Transp. 2017:1-11, 2017.
- Zhang, J., Liao, Y., Han, J., Li, P., and Li, P. , “Lane Changing Models Based on Artificial Potential Field,” Chinese Automation Congress (CAC) 6135-6140, 2017.
- Kim, D., Kim, H., and Huh, K. , “Trajectory Planning for Autonomous Highway Driving Using the Adaptive Potential Field,” 2018 21st Int. Conf. Intell. Transp. Syst. 1069-1074, 2018.
- Schildbach, G. and Borrelli, F. , “Scenario Model Predictive Control for Lane Change Assistance on Highways Scenario Model Predictive Control for Lane Change Assistance on Highways,” in IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 2015, 611-616.
- Tang, W., Yang, M., Wang, C., Wang, B. et al. , “MPC-Based Path Planning for Lane Changing in Highway Environment,” Chinese Automation Congress (CAC) 1003-1008, 2018.
- Wang, W., Song, Y., Zhang, J., and Deng, H. , “Automatic Parking of Vehicles: A Review of Literatures,” Int. J. Automot. Technol. 15(6):967-978, 2014.
- Liu, S., An, X., Shang, E., and He, H. , “A Path Planning Method for Assistant Parallel Car-Parking,” in Fifth International Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Design, 2012, 65-68.
- Vorobieva, H., Glaser, S., Minoiu-Enache, N., and Mammar, S. , “Automatic Parallel Parking in Tiny Spots : Path Planning and Control,” IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst. 16(1):396-410, 2015.
- Vorobieva, H., Glaser, S., Minoiu-Enache, N., and Mammar, S. , “Automatic Parallel Parking with Geometric Continuous-Curvature Path Planning,” in IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2014, 465-471.
- Zhang, S., Simkani, M., and Zadeh, M.H. , “Automatic Vehicle Parallel Parking Design Using Fifth Degree Polynomial Path Planning,” in IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, 2011, 1-4.
- Song, J., Zhang, W., Wu, X., Cao, H. et al. , “Laser-Based SLAM Automatic Parallel Parking Path Planning and Tracking for Passenger Vehicle,” IET Intell. Transp. Syst. 13(10):1557-1568, 2019.
- Tao, Y.L.Z.H.M. , “Autonomous Parking Path Planning Method Based on Pseudospectral Method,” Comput. Eng., 43, 2, 33-7, 42, 2017.
- Mehmood, A., Liaquat, M., Bhatti, A.I., and Rasool, E. , “Trajectory Planning and Control for Lane-Change of Autonomous Vehicle,” in 2019 5th International Conference on Control, Automation and Robotics (ICCAR), 2019, 331-335.
- Giesbrecht, J., Mackay, D., and Collier, J. , “Path Tracking for Unmanned Ground Vehicle Navigation,” DRDC Suff. TM, 2005-224, 2005.