This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improved Potential Field-Based Collision Avoidance Control for Autonomous Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 14, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Limiting factors for autonomous vehicle (AV) to be widely used are not only technical, but also psychological. Considering the psychological feelings of drivers during switching manned to unmanned driving status, this paper proposes an algorithm about avoiding collisions combining driver psychological feelings for AVs. The confidence-limit-distance of the driver is experimentally obtained by many real track tests which require the test driver to approach the obstacle as close as possible. The confidence-limit-distance from driver is defined as the distance between the obstacle and the last steering point allowed for the psychological limit of the driver to avoid collisions. Based on Artificial Potential Field (APF), a road potential field is accordingly established to characterize the characteristics and boundary constraints of the real road. To express the different influences of relative speed and direction on the driver's psychological feeling, the confidence potential field is established based on a two-dimensional normal distribution combining von Mises distribution. The second-order Taylor expansions of road potential field and confidence potential field are firstly introduced into the cost functions for model predictive control (MPC), therefore traditional hierarchical structure of ‘path planning + path tracking’ is transformed into unified quadratic programming problem. The corresponding MPC algorithm used here selects front wheel angle as the control variable to be solved. The confidence-limit-distance and the range of vehicle states variable sensed in track tests are taken as the constraints of the MPC. Finally, co-simulations and Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) tests are carried out, showing the effectiveness of designed algorithm, which can be useful in the development and design for Advanced Driving Assistant System (ADAS) and AVs.
CitationDeng, W., Zhang, K., Zhang, X., Yu, F. et al., "Improved Potential Field-Based Collision Avoidance Control for Autonomous Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0123, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0123.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Rosenband, D.L. , “Inside Waymo’s Self-Driving Car: My Favorite Transistors,” in Symposium on Vlsi Circuits, IEEE, 2017.
- Steven, A. , “New Eye on the Road,” SAE Automotive Engineering 3:2-3, 2017.
- Elshamli, A., Abdullah, H.A., and Areibi, S. , “Genetic Algorithm for Dynamic Path Planning,” in Conference on Electrical & Computer Engineering, IEEE, 2004.
- Yun, S.C., Ganapathy, V., and Chong, L.O. , “Improved Genetic Algorithms Based Optimum Path Planning for Mobile Robot,” in International Conference on Control Automation Robotics & Vision, IEEE, 2011.
- Benavides, F. , “Real Path Planning Based on Genetic Algorithm and Voronoi Diagrams, in IEEE IX Latin American & IEEE Colombian Conference on Robotics Symposium, IEEE, 2011.
- Dijkstra, E.W. , A Note on Two Problems in Connexion with Graphs (New York: Springer-Verlag, Inc., 1959).
- Hart, P.E., Nilsson, N.J., and Raphael, B. , “A Formal Basis for the Heuristic Determination of Minimum Cost Paths,” IEEE Transactions on Systems Science & Cybernetics 4(37):28-29, 1972.
- Stentz, A. , “Optimal and Efficient Path Planning for Partially-Known Environments,” in IEEE International Conference on Robotics & Automation, IEEE, 2002.
- Chen, J., Zhao, P., Mei, T. et al. , “Lane Change Path Planning Based on Piecewise Bezier Curve for Autonomous Vehicle,” in International Conference on Vehicular Electronics and Safety, Dongguan, IEEE, 2013, 17-22.
- Miller, I., Campbell, M., Dan, H. et al. , “Team Cornell’s Skynet: Robust Perception and Planning in an Urban Environment,” Journal of Field Robotics 25(8):493-527, 2008.
- Park, M.G., Jeon, J.H., Lee, M.C. . “Obstacle-Avoidance for Mobile Robots Using Artificial Potential Field Approach with Simulated Annealing,” in IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, 2001, IEEE.
- Li, G., Tong, S., Cong, F. et al. , “Improved Artificial Potential Field-Based Simultaneous Forward Search Method for Robot Path Planning in Complex Environment,” in IEEE/SICE International Symposium on System Integration. 2016.
- Hayakawa, Y., White, R., Kimura, T. et al. , “Driver-Compatible Steering System for Wide Speed-Range Path Following,” Mechatronics IEEE/ASME Transactions on 9(3):544-552, 2004.
- Netto, M., Blosseville, J.M., Lusetti, B. et al. , “A New Robust Control System with Optimized Use of the Lane Detection Data for Vehicle Full Lateral Control under Strong Curvatures,” in IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference, 2006.
- Soudbakhsh, D. and Eskandarian, A. , “A Collision Avoidance Steering Controller Using Linear Quadratic Regulator,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0459 , 2010, https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-0459.
- Levinson, J., Askeland, J., Becker, J. et al. , “Towards Fully Autonomous Driving: Systems and Algorithms,” in 2011 Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), 2011, IEEE.
- Macadam, C.C. , “An Optimal Preview Control for Linear Systems,” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control 102(3):188-190, 1980.
- Guo, K. and Guan, H. , “Modelling of Driver/Vehicle Directional Control System,” Vehicle System Dynamics 22(3):141-184, 1993.
- Ni, J., Hu, J., and Xiang, C. , “Envelope Control for Four-Wheel Independently Actuated Autonomous Ground Vehicle through AFS/DYC Integrated Control,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 66(11):9712-9726, 2017.
- Yakub, F. and Mori, Y. , “Comparative Study of Autonomous Path-Following Vehicle Control Via Model Predictive Control and Linear Quadratic Control,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 229(12):1695-1714, 2015.
- Liu, J., Jayakumar, P., Overholt, J.L., Stein, J.L., et al “T. the Role of Model Fidelity in Model Predictive Control Based Hazard Avoidance in Unmanned Ground Vehicles Using LIDAR Sensors,” in Proceedings of ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, 2013:1-10.
- Soodeh, D. , “Path Tracking Using Fractional Order Extremum Seeking Controller for Autonomous Ground Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0094 , 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0094.
- Shariff, A., Bonnefon, J.-F., and Rahwan, I. , “Psychological Roadblocks to the Adoption of Self-Driving Vehicles,” Nature Human Behavior 1(10):694-696, 2017.
- Abraham, H., Lee, C., Brady, S. et al. , “Autonomous Vehicles and Alternatives to Driving: Trust, Preferences, and Effects of Age,” in Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board 96th Annual Meeting, Washington DC, 2017.
- Xu, Z., Zhang, K., Min, H. et al. , “What Drives People to Accept Autonomous Vehicles? Findings from a Field Experiment,” Transportation Research-Part C, Emerging Technology 95(10):320-334, 2018.
- Soodeh, D., Sara, D., and Chris, W. , “Reachable Set Analysis of Vehicular Platooning in Adversarial Environment,” in 2018 Annual American Control Conference (ACC), 2018, IEEE.
- Soodeh, D., Sara, D., and Chris, W. , “Resilient Control Design for Vehicular Platooning in an Adversarial Environment,” in 2019 American Control Conference (ACC), 2019, IEEE.
- Eckert, A., Hartmann, B., Sevenich, M. et al. , “Emergency Steer & Brake Assist: A Systematic Approach for System Integration of Two Complementary Driver Assistance Systems,” in Proc. 22nd Int. Technical Conf. Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Washington DC, 2011.
- Jalali, M., Khajepour, A., Chen, S.K. et al. , “Integrated Stability and Traction Control for Electric Vehicles Using Model Predictive Control,” Control Engineering Practice 54:256-266, 2016.
- Weiskircher, T., Wang, Q., and Ayalew, B. , “Predictive Guidance and Control Framework for (Semi-)Autonomous Vehicles in Public Traffic,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 1-13, 2017.
- Funke, J., Brown, M., Erlien, S.M. et al. , “Collision Avoidance and Stabilization for Autonomous Vehicles in Emergency Scenarios,” IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 25(4):1204-1216, 2017.
- Lu, H., Shi, Y., He, D., and Yu, F. , “Model-Based Vehicle Stability Control with Tyre Force and Instantaneous Cornering Stiffness Estimation,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering. 230(6):754-770, 2016.
- Khatib, O. , “Real-Time Obstacle Avoidance for Manipulators and Mobile Robots,” The International Journal of Robotics Research 5(1):90-98, 1986.
- Mardia, K.V. and Jupp, P.E. , Directional Statistics (John Wiley & Sons, 2009).
- Noto, N., Okuda, H., Tazaki, Y., and Suzuki, T. , “Steering Assisting System for Obstacle Avoidance Based on Personalized Potential Field,” in 2012 15th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Anchorage, AK, 2012, 1702-1707.