This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advances in Drilling with PCD (Polycrystalline Diamond)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 10, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
PCD properties were optimized to drill stacks of CFRP/Ti using an accelerated wear test milling gray cast iron. The optimized PCD was then used to prepare PCD drills. Tests were made to determine the best drilling conditions for the optimized PCD. The results yielded a significant improvement in cycle times as compared to earlier studies using PCD drills. Notched PCD cutting edges were found to eliminate oversizing of the CFRP near the interface of the two materials.
CitationBunting, J. and Bunting, J., "Advances in Drilling with PCD (Polycrystalline Diamond)," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0035, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Taylor, F.W. , “On the Art of Cutting Metals,” ASME Proceedings 28(2), 1906.
- Scott, T.A. , “The Influence of Microstructure on the Mechanical Properties of Polycrystalline Diamond: A Literature Review,” Advances in Applied Ceramics 117, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/17436753.2017.1389462.
- Shyha, I., Soo, S., Aspinwall, D., Bradley, S. et al. , “Drilling of Titanium/CFRP/Aluminum Stacks,” Key Engineering Materials 447-448, 2010, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.447-448.624.
- Park, K., Beal, A., Kim, D., Kwon, K. et al. , “Tool Wear in Drilling Composite/Titanium Stacks Using Carbide and Polycrystalline Diamond Tools,” Wear 271, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2011.05.038.
- Garrick, R. , “Drilling Advanced Aircraft Structures with PCD (PolyCrystalline Diamond) Drills,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3893, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-3893.
- Sharif, S., Rahim, E., and Sasahara, H. , “Machinability of Titanium Alloys in Drilling,” IntechOpen, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5772/35948.
- Zeilmann, R. and Weingaertner, W. , “Analysis of Temperature during Drilling of Ti6Al4V with Minimal Quantity of Lubricant,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 179(1):124-127, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.03.077.
- Scott, D. , “The History and Impact of Synthetic Diamond Cutters and Diamond Enhanced Inserts on the Oil and Gas Industry,” Industrial Diamond Review 66(1), 2005.
- Haddock, N. and Mattson, C. , “Characterizing Material Property Tradeoffs of Polycrystalline Diamond for Design Evaluation and Selection,” in Collection of Technical Papers AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, 2010, https://doi.org/10.2514./6.2010-3076.