This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tool Wear Analysis on Drilling Process of Inconel 718 Superalloy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 10, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The Inconel 718 is an alloy based on nickel of high thermal and mechanical resistance, which allows its wide application in the aerospace industry, being generally implemented in aircraft tail cone and engine components. On the other hand, these features become a recurring problem when the machining of this material is performed. For example, in the drilling process of this superalloy, the cutting tools used exhibit excessive wear due to the high temperature and pressure at the cutting edge. However, there are numerous parameters that can influence the cutting tool life, and when analyzed and well defined, determine the types of modifications needed to enable less wear, and consequently an increase of its useful life in service. Given this context and knowing that the study of tool life in the Inconel 718 drilling process is extremely relevant in the aerospace sector, this paper presents a wear study in order to evaluate the behavior of different types of cutting tools used to drill the Inconel 718. It was accomplished by the combination of different cutting parameters to perform the mechanical drilling tests on Inconel 718 sheets, using the Taguchi method as a quality tool for process investigation, and consequently the wear analysis of the cutting tools.
CitationBarros, P., Barbosa, G., Ventura, C., and Santos, G., "Tool Wear Analysis on Drilling Process of Inconel 718 Superalloy," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0034, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Rahman, M., Seah, W.K.H., and Teo, T.T. , “The Machinability of Inconel 718,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 63:199-204, 1997.
- Zetek, M., Cesakova, I., and Svarc, V. , “Increasing Cutting Tool Life When Machining Inconel 718,” Procedia Engineering 69:1115-1124, 2014.
- Sharman, A.R.C., Amarasinghe, A., and Ridgway, K. , “Tool Life and Surface Integrity Aspects When Drilling and Hole Making in Inconel 718,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 200:424-432, 2008.
- Chen, Y.C. and Liao, Y.S. , “Study on Wear Mechanisms in Drilling of Inconel 718 Superalloy,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 140:269-273, 2003.
- Amstead, B.H., Begeman, M.L., and Ostwald, P.F. , Manufacturing Processes (Wiley, 1987).
- Diniz, A.E., Marcondes, F.C., and Coppini, N.L. , Tecnologia da usinagem dos materiais (São Paulo: Artliber Editora, 2006).
- Pang, J.S., Ansari, M.N.M., Zaroog, O.S., Ali, M.H., and Sapuan, S.M. , “Taguchi Design Optimization of Machining Parameters on the CNC End Milling Process of Halloysite Nanotube with Aluminium Reinforced Epoxy Matrix (HNT/Al/Ep) Hybrid Composite,” HBRC Journal 10:138-144, 2014.
- Special Metals , www.specialmetals.com.