This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On Shedding Frequency and Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Rotating Wire-Wrapped Cylinder
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 10, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Numerical and experimental investigations of shedding frequency of rotating smooth and wire-wrapped cylinders, placed in steady flow have been performed. The freestream mean velocity was 10 m/sec. and for the numerical investigations, the smooth cylinder diameter was 5 cm, which corresponds to an approximate Reynolds number based on cylinder’s diameter of 3.2x104. The wire-wrapped cylinder had a wire diameter of 5 mm and the ratios of pitch spacing to the cylinder diameter, p/D, was 1.0. The cylinder length to diameter ratio was 20. The rotation rates (λ) were 0.5 and 2.0. To obtain the shedding frequency, numerical probes were placed at 3D downstream, 0.5 D above the centerline, and at 0.5D, spaced along the spanwise direction and the shedding frequencies were obtained from spectra of the axial velocity. Results indicate that the lift for the wire-wrapped cylinder is nearly 150% of that of the smooth cylinder, however, it has a higher drag force. Details of the flow indicate wire-wrapping reduces spanwise coherency and increases the phase angle of vortices, resulting in increased lift. Experimental results indicate a similar trend as the numerical results, with wire-wrapping, reduces the shedding oblique angle and with rotation, reduced peak energy, breaking down the large eddies into smaller eddies of different frequencies.
CitationRahai, H., Bonifacio, J., Begum, A., and Gada, K., "On Shedding Frequency and Aerodynamic Characteristics of a Rotating Wire-Wrapped Cylinder," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0028, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0028.
- Zdravkovich , M.M. Review and Classification of Various Aero- and Hydrodynamic Means for Suppressing Vortex Shedding Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 7 145 189 1981
- Naudascher , E. and Rockwell , D. Flow-Induced Vibrations: An Engineering Guide Mineola, NY Dover Publications, Inc. 2005
- Kumar , R.A. , Sohn , C. , and Gowda , B.H.L. Passive Control of Vortex-Induced Vibrations: An Overview Recent Patents on Mechanical Engineering 1 1 11 2008
- Nebres , J. and Batill , S. Flow about a Circular Cylinder with a Single Large-Scale Surface Perturbation Experiments in Fluids 15 369 379 1993
- Alam , M.M. , Zhou , Y. , Zhao , J.M. , Flamand , O. , and Boujard , O. Classification of the Tripped Cylinder Wake and Bi-Stable Phenomenon International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 31 545 560 2010
- Ekmekci , A. and Rockwell , D. Effects of a Geometrical Surface Disturbance on Flow Past a Circular Cylinder: A Large-Scale Spanwise Wire J. Fluid Mech. 665 120 157 2010
- Ekmekci , A. and Rockwell , D. Control of Flow Past a Circular Cylinder via a Spanwise Surface Wire: Effect of the Wire Scale Experiments in Fluids 51 753 769 2011
- Zhou , T. , Razali , S.F.M. , and Cheng , Z.H.L. On the Study of Vortex-Induced Vibration of a Cylinder with Helical Strakes Journal of Fluids and Structures 27 903 917 2011
- Fage , A. and Warsap , J.H. 1929 1 14
- James , D.F. and Truong , Q.T. Wind Load on a Cylinder with a Span-Wise Protrusion Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division 98 6 1573 1589 1972
- Hover , F.S. , Tvedt , H. , and Triantafyllou , M.S. Vortex-Induced Vibrations of a Cylinder with Tripping Wires Journal of Fluid Mechanics 448 175 195 2001 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112001005985
- Swanson , W.M. The Magnus Effect: A Summary of Investigations to Date J. Basic Eng. 83 461 470 1961
- Prandtl , L. The Mechanics of Viscous Fluids Durand , W.F. Aerodynamic Theory III Berlin Springer-Verlag 1935 34 208
- Badr , H.M. , Coutanceau , M. , Dennis , S.C.R. , and Menard , C. Unsteady Flow Past a Rotating Circular Cylinder at Reynolds Numbers 10 3 and 10 4 J. Fluid Mech. 220 459 484 1990
- Tokumaru , P.T. and Dimotakis , P.E. Rotary Oscillation of a Cylinder Wake J. Fluid Mech. Vol. 224 77 90 1991
- Tokumaru , P.T. and Dimotakis , P.E. The Lift of a Cylinder Executing Rotary Motions in a Uniform Flow J. Fluid Mech. 255 1 10 1993
- Shiels , D. and Leonard , A. Investigation of a Drag Reduction on a Circular Cylinder in Rotary Oscillation J. Fluid Mech. 431 297 322 2001