This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A MATLAB Simulink Based Co-Simulation Approach for a Vehicle Systems Model Integration Architecture
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 10, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, a MATLAB-Simulink based general co-simulation approach is presented which supports multi-resolution simulation of distributed models in an integrated architecture. This approach was applied to simulating aircraft thermal performance in our Vehicle Systems Model Integration (VSMI) framework. A representative advanced aircraft thermal management system consisting of an engine, engine fuel thermal management system, aircraft fuel thermal management system and a power and thermal management system was used to evaluate the advantages and tradeoffs in using a co-simulation approach to system integration modeling. For a system constituting of multiple interacting sub-systems, an integrated model architecture can rapidly, and cost effectively address technology insertions and system evaluations. Utilizing standalone sub-system models with table-based boundary conditions often fails to effectively capture dynamic subsystem interactions that occurs in an integrated system. Additionally, any control adjustments, model changes or technology insertions that are applied to any one of the connecting subsystems requires iterative updates to the boundary conditions. When evaluating a large set of trade studies, the number of boundary condition models and time to generate these models becomes intractable and affects capturing the results accurately. A single interconnected model of all the subsystems may be impractical and using additional external packages may be prohibitive in terms of cost or compatibility. This general approach requires no additional MATLAB toolboxes. Two different data interchange mechanisms are presented. A dynamic vehicle system integrated model was developed to enable customizability and flexibility. The developed co-simulation approach was combined with this flexible architecture to enable system evaluation. Example applications using the vehicle system model integrated architecture with the co-simulation approach are discussed.
- Brian C. Raczkowski - PC Krause & Associates
- Nicholas Jones - PC Krause & Associates
- Tim Deppen - PC Krause & Associates
- Charles Lucas - PC Krause & Associates
- Rodney Yeu - PC Krause & Associates
- Eric Walters - PC Krause & Associates
- Adam Donovan - US Air Force Research Laboratory
- Soumya Patnaik - US Air Force Research Laboratory
- Mark Bodie - Army Corps Of Engineers
CitationRaczkowski, B., Jones, N., Deppen, T., Lucas, C. et al., "A MATLAB Simulink Based Co-Simulation Approach for a Vehicle Systems Model Integration Architecture," SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0005, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2020-01-0005.
- Gomes, C., Thule, C., Broman, D., Larsen, P.G. et al. , “Co-Simulation: A Survey,” ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR) 51(3), 2018, doi:10.1145/3179993.
- Wells, J., Hasan, M., and Lucas, C. , “Predictive Hold with Error Correction Techniques that Maintain Signal Continuity in Co-Simulation Environments,” SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 5(2):481-493, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-2205.
- Loop, B., Lucas, C., Walters, E., Hasan, M. et al. , “Improvements in the Distributed Heterogeneous Simulation of Aircraft Electric Power Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3044 , 2006, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3044.
- Wasynczuk, O., Lucas, C.E., Walters, E.A., and Jatskevich, J.V. , “Distributed Simulation,” U.S. Patent 7,490,029, Feb. 10, 2009.
- Raczkowski, B., Loop, B., Amrhein, M., Wells, J. et al. , “Large Displacement Stability by Design for Robust Aircraft Electric Power Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-2197 , 2012, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-2197.
- Amrhein, M., Wells, J., Walters, E., Matasso, A. et al. , “Integrated Electrical System Model of a More Electric Aircraft Architecture,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2899 , 2008, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-2899.
- McNelis, A.M., Beach, R. Soeder, J.F., McNelis, N. et al. , “Simulation and Control Lab Development for Power and Energy Management for NASA Manned Deep Space Missions,” presented at in 12th International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, 2014, doi:10.2514/6.2014-3835.
- Zumberge, J., Wolff, J., McCarthy, K., O’Connell, T. et al. , “Integrated Aircraft Electrical Power System Modeling and Simulation Analysis,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1804 , 2010, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2010-01-1804.
- Didioui, A., Bernier, C., Morche, D., and Sentieys, O. , “HarvWSNet: A Co-Simulation Framework for Energy Harvesting Wireless Sensor Networks,” presented at in 2013 International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), 2013, doi:10.1109/ICCNC.2013.6504192.
- Hoffmann, C., Swain, E. Xu, Y., Downar, T. et al. , “DDDAS for Autonomic Interconnected Systems: The National Energy Infrastructure,” presented at in International Conference on Computational Science, 2007, doi:10.1007/978-3-540-72584-8_141.
- Loop, B., Walters, E., and Lamm, P. , “Optimal System Partitioning for Distributed Heterogeneous Simulations,” presented at in 10th International Energy Conversion Engineering Conference, 2012, doi:10.2514/6.2012-4240.
- Bodie, M., Russell, G., McCarthy, K., Lucas, E. et al. , “Thermal Analysis of an Integrated Aircraft Model,” presented at in 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, 2010, doi:10.2514/6.2010-288.
- Walters, E., Amrhein, M., O’Connell, T., Iden, S. et al. , “INVENT Modeling, Simulation, Analysis and Optimization,” presented at in 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, 2010, doi:10.2514/6.2010-287.
- Deppen, T., Raczkowski, B., Amrhein, M., Wells, J. et al. , “A Specification Analysis Framework for Aircraft Systems,” SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 9(1):82-90, 2016, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2023.
- Mathworks , “Memory Mapping,” https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/memory-mapping.html, accessed Aug. 2019.
- MathWorld--A Wolfram Web Resource , “L^1-Norm,” http://mathworld.wolfram.com/L1-Norm.html, accessed Sept. 2019.
- MathWorld--A Wolfram Web Resource , “L^2-Norm,” http://mathworld.wolfram.com/L2-Norm.html, accessed Sept. 2019.