This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Battery cell modeling for energy and power estimations in a battery pack applied to a HEV
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In this paper we present the concept of cell battery modeling and its importance to the battery management system of a HEV. A review of possible equivalent circuits to model the battery electric behavior is made and we present the proposed equivalent circuit to this application. This model takes into consideration the temperature, current and state of charge conditions in which the battery is being used, without adding equations to state-space model. Then, we discuss the laboratory tests that need to be performed to provide information for the models. A test procedure is presented in 6 different scenarios. Finally, the results of the application of this methodology for a NMC battery cell are showed. The maximum RMSE found between real and estimated voltage by the model was 1.0041e-4. A state of charge estimation using this model showed a 1.995e-6 mean squared error.
CitationAranha, J., Marques, F., and Chiachio CPqD, T., "Battery cell modeling for energy and power estimations in a battery pack applied to a HEV," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0243, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0243.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Teixeira, A.C.R., da Silva, D.L., Machado Neto, L.V.B. et al. “A review on electric vehicles and their interaction with smart grids: the case of Brazil”, Clean Technology Environmental Policy (2015) 17: 841, doi: 10.1007/s10098-014-0865-x.
- Suh, P., Cho, H., “Making the Move: From Internal Combustion Engines to Wireless Electric Vehicles.” In: Suh N., Cho D. (eds) The On-line Electric Vehicle. Springer, Cham, 2017, doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-51183-2_1.
- Williamson, S., “Energy Management Strategies for Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles”. Springer, New York, NY, 2013, doi: 10.1007/978-1-4614-7711-2_1.
- Timperley, J., “The Carbon Brief Profile: Brazil”, 2018, In: https://www.carbonbrief.org/the-carbon-brief-profile-brazil.
- European Commission, “Reducing CO2 emissions from passenger cars”, In: https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/transport/vehicles/cars_en.
- EPA, United States Environmental Protection Agency, In: https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/overview-greenhouse-gases.
- Andrea, D., “Battery Management Systems for Large Lithium Ion Battery Packs”, Artech House, 2010.
- Biswas, A., Gu, R., Kollmeyer, P., et al. “Simultaneous State and Parameter Estimation of Li-Ion Battery With One State Hysteresis Model Using Augmented Unscented Kalman Filter”, IEEE ITEC, doi:10.1109/ITEC.2018.8450197.
- Jackey, R., Saginaw, M., Sanghvi, P., et al., “Battery Model Parameter Estimation Using a Layered Technique: An Example Using a Lithium Iron Phosphate Cell”, SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1547, 2012, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1547.
- Kim, J., Seo, G., Cho, B., et al, “OCV hysteresis effect-based SOC estimation in extended Kalman filter algorithm for a LiFePO4/C cell”, 2012 IEEE International Electric Vehicle Conference, doi: 10.1109/IEVC.2012.6183174.