This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Band gaps and torsional vibration in a periodic shaft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Shafts used in torque and angular velocity transmission may behave as torsional vibration amplifiers due to resonance followed by unwanted vibrations. Many technologies are applied to attenuate vibration in certain frequency ranges in automotive, aerospace and industrial applications. More recently, using the concept of periodic structures (phononic crystals and metamaterials), it has been shown to be possible to obtain frequency band gaps where elastic waves cannot propagate and, therefore, standing waves cannot build up, thus avoiding resonance. Using a few periodic cells large attenuation can be obtained, so that the structure behaves like a mechanical filter. Investigations in periodic structure dynamics have been developed in recent years aiming at to attenuating specific and wide frequency ranges. The periodic structure can be a combination of different materials, or a unique material varying the geometry periodically. This work explores the possibility of using periodic shaft structures to create torsional band gaps for torsional vibration attenuation. Theoretical models and experimental results for torsional vibrations in a periodic shaft are investigated. The approach is to build a dynamic model using the Spectral Element Method (SEM), then calculating the dispersion diagram (wavenumber versus frequency) for the periodic cell and finally computing the forced response for a finite structure with a given number of cells and boundary and loading conditions. The geometry is designed to tune the bandgap range for a desired frequency range. The experimental dynamic response of a free-free shaft consisting of three cells excited at one end with and impact hammer and measured at the other end using an accelerometer is used to validate the SEM model. A good agreement is found. It is shown that modes that show up in the experimental response not predicted by the torsional SEM model can be explained by a torsional-bending coupling.
CitationLeão, A. and Arruda, J., "Band gaps and torsional vibration in a periodic shaft," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0224, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0224.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Kunze H , Riedel M.Schmidt , K. Bianchini Vibration reduction on automotive shafts using piezoceramics Smart Structures and Materials 2003
- P. Charles , Jyoti K. Sinha , F. Gu , L. Lidstone , A.D. Ball Detecting the crank shaft torsional vibration of diesel engines for combustion related diagnosis Journal of Soundand Vibration 321 2009
- D. Richards , D.J. Pines Passive reduction of gear meshvibration using a periodic drive shaft Journal of Sound and Vibration 264 2003
- C. Suginoa , Y. Xiaa , S. Leadenhama , M. Ruzzenea , A. Erturka A General Theory for Bandgap Estimation in Locally Resonant Metastructures Journal of Sound and Vibration 2016
- Wang Gang , Shao Li-Hui , Liu Yao-Zong , and Wen Ji-Hong Accurate evaluation of lowest band gaps internary locally resonant phononic crystals Smart Structures and Materials 2006
- Yubao Song , JihongWen , Dianlong Yu and Xisen Wen Analysis and enhancement of torsional vibration stopbands in a periodic shaft system JOURNAL OF PHYSICS D: APPLIED PHYSICS 2013
- Amit Singh , Darryll J Pines , Amr Baz Active/passive reduction of vibration of periodic one-dimensional structures using piezoelectric actuators Smart Structures and Materials 2004
- M Ruzzene , A Baz Attenuation and localization of wave propagation in periodic rods using shape memory inserts Smart Mater. Struct. 2000
- Haisheng Shu , Shaogang Liu , Weiyuan Wang , Dan Zhao Fa Zhang , Enwu Gao Research on Transfer Characteristics of Vibration of Shaft and Beam Sonic Crystals under Concentrated Mass Boundary Condition International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation 2011
- Doyle , J. F. 1997
- CUNHA , L. R. 2017
- of Bourgogne Franche-Comté, Besançon, France.André L. Goldstein, Priscila B. Silva, José R. F. Arruda th 2011
- K. Janssens , L. Britte 2012
- Siemens PLM 2014