This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aircraft Engine Technology Review - The Pathways for an Efficient, Cleaner and Quieter Aviation Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aviation industry has been submitted to a set of environmental and commercial drivers that have led it to pursue engine technologies focused on the efficiency improvement, greenhouse (CO2) and pollutant (NOx and PM) emissions reductions, as well as noise abatement.The effort to comply with the ambitious long term environmental and efficiency targets set by the regulatory authorities has driven the aeronautic industry in a technological research effort. In the medium term, the aviation industry's strategy for commercial aviation is to focus on the advanced, but rather conventional propulsion systems (mainly turbofan engines). In this scenario, technological efforts have focused basically on enhancing thermal efficiency, through advanced core engines, as well as improving propulsive efficiency, through the use of low pressure systems (basically reduced pressure ratio and increased engine bypass ratio). To reach these objectives, a set of technological platforms has been proposed, with some already on an operational/commercial level, while others still in a prototype category. In this context, engine manufacturers have given a special focus on some technological approaches, like Ultra High Bypass Ratio (UHBPR) Geared Turbofans (GTF), Three Spool Turbofan (3STF), Counter-Rotating Open Rotor (CROR), Intercooled Turbofan (ITF) and Bleedless Engine (BE). This work is supposed to present, into a review format, an overview of the aforementioned technology platforms, demonstrating their potential to meet the efficiency and environmental requirements, their maturity level, as well as report any cases of operational experience available in the technical literature.
CitationBarbosa, F., "Aircraft Engine Technology Review - The Pathways for an Efficient, Cleaner and Quieter Aviation Industry," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0175, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0175.
- ATAG A Sustainable Flightpath Towards Reducing Emissions Air Transport Group Position Paper. 2012
- Airports Comission https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/73143/aviation-demand-forecasting.pdf 2019
- ICAO Airport Air Quality Manual International Civil Aviation Organization Canada 2011
- NAP (National Academy of Sciences Press) - Commercial Aircraft Propulsion and Energy Systems Research Reducing Global Carbon Emissions The National Academies of Sciences, Enginnering and Medicine Washington, U.S. 2016
- Bijewitz J. et al. 2014
- Stinton D. The Anatomy of the Airplane American Institute of Aeronautic s and Austronautics United Kingdom 1998
- RR - The Jet Engine 1996
- Lee H. J. et al. Turbocharger Jet Engine Build and Engineering Analysis Washington University Open Scholarship. Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science United States 2016
- Rolt A. and Whurr J. Optimizing Propulsive Efficiency in Aircraft with Boundary Layer Ingesting Distributed Propulsion University of Cincinnati United States 2015
- El-sayed A. et al 2016
- Mattingly J. D. 2005
- Roth B. and Mavris D. 2001
- Skavdah H. et al. Very High Bypass Ratio Engines for Commercial Transport Propulsion. Boeing Commercial Airplanes International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences and American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics United States 1988
- Xu L. et al. 2014
- Kyprianidis K. G. http://www.intechopen.com/books/advances-in-gas-turbinetechnology 2018
- Becker R. et al. 2013
- Tobi A. L. M. et al. 2016
- Atsushi S. et al. 2014 https://www.ihi.co.jp/var/ezwebin_site/storage/original/application/b2153d6b4a59e36870a3c642bd26d313.pdf
- Hughes C. 2010
- Larsson L. et al. 2011
- Epstein A. 2015
- Kellari D. et al. 2017
- Dik A. et al. Conceptual Design of a 3-Shaft Turbofan Engine Malardalen University Sweden 2015
- Ferreira C. S. Influence of Regeneration in the Performance of a Propfan Engine. Aeronautical Engineering MSc Thesis Universidade da Beira Interior Covilhã, Portugal 2013
- Aguilar H. et al. 2017
- M’Bengue L. 2010
- Klespe L Counter Rotating Open Rotor. Parametric Source Noise Model Development Delft University of Technology. MSc Thesis. Delft University of Technology Netherlands 2017
- Smith D. J.
- Vanderover J.S. et al.
- Peters A. 2010
- Álvarez R. A. 2012
- Kyprianidis K. G. et al. 2013
- Rolt A. M. and Baker N.J. 2009
- Lebre J. 2010
- Zhao X. 2016
- Cavalcanti V.C and Andrade C.R. A Trade-off Study of a Bleedless and Conventional Air Conditioning Systems XVII Congreesso SAE Brasil 2008
- Sinnett , M.
- Wheeler P.
- Taha M.H. 2012
- Shields M. and Carmel J.
- Winter M. 2013