This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Robustness Design to Avoid Noise on Exterior Handle System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Squeak and rattle are two undesirable occurrences during component operation and during vehicle driving condition, resulting in one of the top complains from costumers. One common grievance could happen during the user exterior handle operation and during side door closing. The exterior handle system during the operation could generate a squeak between interface parts, if materials and geometric tolerances was not been carefully designed. Also, vibration generated during door closing effort, might generate squeak between parts since the reinforcement for exterior handle touches the outer sheet metal internally. For this reason several guidelines might be included to avoid potential noise condition for this system during vehicle lifetime as correct material reduce friction between parts, taking into consideration the geometric condition between parts. Plus, coupling system on handles two pieces should also be evaluated to avoid squeak during use. Not less important, if required anti-shock material system may be applied to eliminate a clash produced between parts during excessive vibration. It is extremely important to evaluate the environment that the vehicle will be exposed since the correct material application also depend on this factor. Design parameters as materials used to produce parts, dimension geometric data and a robust technique of attachment must be analyzed. Correct material selection and tools like Dimensional Variation Analysis may be taken to identify and optimize the design to avoid noise and minimize cost.
CitationDemori, D., Magalhães, J., Gonçalves, C., Santos, H. et al., "Robustness Design to Avoid Noise on Exterior Handle System," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0137, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0137.
- Padilha , P. , and Nunes , A. A Brief Survey on Squeak and Rattle Evaluation Techniques at General Motors do Brasil SAE Technical Paper 2002 10.4271/2002-01-3489
- Brines , R. , Weiss , L. , and Peterson , E. The Application of Direct Body Excitation Toward Developing a Full Vehicle Objective Squeak and Rattle Metric SAE Technical Paper 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1554
- Lee , J. Development of a Test Method for BSR and the Full-Vehicle Test System SAE Technical Paper 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0822
- Gosavi , S. Automotive Buzz, Squeak and Rattle (BSR) Detection and Prevention SAE Technical Paper 2005 10.4271/2005-26-056
- Nolan , S. and Sammut J. Automotive Squeak and Rattle Prevention SAE Technical Paper 1992 10.4271/921065
- Trapp , M. , McNulty , P. , and Chu , J. Frictional and Acoustic Behaviour of Automotive Interior Polymeric Material Pairs Under Environmental Conditions SAE Technical Paper 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1550
- Trapp , M. and Pierzecki , R. Squeak and Rattle Behavior of Elastomers and Plastics: Effect of Normal Load, Sliding Velocity, and Environment SAE Technical Paper 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1521
- Peterson , C. , Wieslander , C. , and Eiss , N. Squeak and Rattle Properties of Polymeric Material SAE Technical Paper 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1860
- Trapp , M. and Pierzecki , R. Squeak and Rattle Behavior of Filled Thermoplastics: Effect of Filler Type and Content on Acoustic Behavior SAE Technical Paper 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2542
- Brugada , R. Performance of Thermoplastic Elastomers (TPEs) at Subzero Temperatures SAE Technical Paper 1989 10.4271/890007
- Kothari , S. and Ruel , F. Application of Thermoplastic Elastomers as Sealing Materials SAE Technical Paper 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0743
- Dong , R. , Wu , J. , Welcome , D. , and McDowell , T. A New Approach to Characterize Grip Force Applied to a Cylindrical Handle Medical Engineering & Physics 30 20 33 2007 10.1016/j.medengphy.2007.01.002
- Demori , D. , Freitas , B. , Santos , H. , and Dias , P. Design Guidelines to Avoid Hygroscopic Effects on Outer Handles SAE Technical Paper 2018 10.4271/2018-36-0257
- Feng , J. , and Hobelsberg J. Detection and Scaling of Squeak and Rattle Sounds SAE Technical Paper 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1722