This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Valve Timing Effects on Combustion Behavior at High Load Boost Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
This paper analyzes the potential of a Fully Variable Camshaft Timing (FVCT) system for optimizing the performance of a highly boosted downsized ethanol SIDI engine running at high loads and reducing the emissions of pollutant gases. The FVCT influences the gas exchange process, which in turn modifies the charge composition and the cylinder filling. In order to achieve higher fuel conversion efficiency in conjunction with better emission levels, a FVCT strategy was defined seeking to characterize the best scavenging behavior. For all engine test conditions, the results showed that the FVCT adjusted to 5° before top dead center (BTDC) provided the lowest specific fuel consumption and, consequently, the greatest fuel conversion efficiency, despite the highest cyclic variability achieved. At this FVCT position, the pollutant emissions of HC and CO were reduced due to a more complete combustion process provided by higher gas temperatures into the combustion chamber, which, on the other hand, leads to the increase of NOx emissions. The CO2 emission levels reflect the fuel consumption behavior, so that the lowest level of CO2 was also achieved for FVCT adjusted to 5° BTDC. At higher loads, the FVCT adjustment provides greater fuel conversion efficiency by improving the scavenging process. Therefore, FVCT system proves to be an effective tool in reducing the engine specific fuel consumption.
- Thiago Rodrigo Vieira da Silva - Mobility Technology Center – Federal University of Minas Ger
- José Guilherme Coelho Baêta - Mobility Technology Center – Federal University of Minas Ger
- Jeanine Costa Santos - Mobility Technology Center – Federal University of Minas Ger
- Augusto César Teixeira Malaquias - Mobility Technology Center – Federal University of Minas Ger
CitationVieira da Silva, T., Coelho Baêta, J., Santos, J., and Teixeira Malaquias, A., "Study of Valve Timing Effects on Combustion Behavior at High Load Boost Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0119, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0119.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- I. E. A.-. IEA, "Improving The Fuel Economy of Road Vehicles," ed. Paris, France: IEA, 2012, p. 86.
- M. Balat, H. Balat, Recent trends in global production and utilization of bio-ethanol fuel, Appl. Energy 86(11), 2273-2282 (2009/11/01/2009).
- J. G. C. Baêta, M. Pontoppidan, and T. R. V. Silva, "Exploring the limits of a down-sized ethanol direct injection spark ignited engine in different configurations in order to replace high-displacement gasoline engines," Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 105, pp. 858-871, 11/15/ 2015.
- V. De Bellis, "Performance optimization of a spark-ignition turbocharged VVA engine under knock limited operation," Applied Energy, vol. 164, pp. 162-174, 2/15/ 2016.
- F. Bonatesta, G. Altamore, J. Kalsi, and M. Cary, "Fuel economy analysis of part-load variable camshaft timing strategies in two modern small-capacity spark ignition engines," Applied Energy, vol. 164, pp. 475-491, 2/15/ 2016.
- M. Pontoppidan and J. G. C. Baeta, "A Study of a Highly Boosted and Efficient Downsized Ethanol Direct Injection (EDI) Engine in Two Different Configurations for the Purpose of Replacing High-Displacement Gasoline Engines," 2015. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-1255.
- José Guilherme Coelho Baêta, Thiago R.V. Silva, Nilton A.D. Netto, Augusto C.T. Malaquias, Fernando Antonio Rodrigues Filho, Michael Pontoppidan, Full spark authority in a highly boosted ethanol DISI prototype engine, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 139, 2018, Pages 35-46, ISSN 1359-4311, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2018.04.112.
- E. Sher and T. Bar-Kohany, "Optimization of variable valve timing for maximizing performance of an unthrottled SI engine-a theoretical study," Energy, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 757-775, 8// 2002.
- T. R. V. Silva, J. G. C. Baêta, N. A. Diniz, W. Dutra, and F. Aguzzi, "Effects of Continuously Variable Valve Timing (CVVT) on Ethanol Spark Ignited Direct Injection (SIDI) Downsized Engine," presented at the I Congresso Internacional de Motores, Combustíveis e Combustao - CIMCCO, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil, 2016.
- T. G. Leone, E. J. Christenson, and R. A. Stein, "Comparison of Variable Camshaft Timing Strategies at Part Load," 1996. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.4271/960584
- G. Fontana and E. Galloni, "Variable valve timing for fuel economy improvement in a small spark-ignition engine," Applied Energy, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 96-105, 1// 2009.
- Veículos Rodoviários - Código de ensaio de motores - Potência líquida efetiva, 1996.
- T. R. V. Silva, "Estudo de estratégias de controle dos processos internos de um motor de combustao interna de injeçao direta de etanol turbo-alimentado para maximizaçao da eficiência global", Mestrado, Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica, UFMG, Belo Horizonte, MG, 487, 2017.
- F. A. R. Filho, "Projeto, costruçao e caracterizaçao do desempenho de um motor motor de combustao interna provido de um sistema de igniçao por lança chamas de carga estratificada", Doutorado, Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, 2014.
- N. Ozdor, M. Dulger, and E. Sher, "Cyclic Variability in Spark Ignition Engines A Literature Survey," 1994. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.4271/940987
- H. Zhao , Advanced direct injection combustion engine technologies and development. Boca Raton FL, USA: Woodhead Publishing Limited e CRC Press LLC, 2010, p. 325.
- F. A. Ayala, M. D. Gerty, and J. B. Heywood, "Effects of Combustion Phasing, Relative Air-fuel Ratio, Compression Ratio, and Load on SI Engine Efficiency," 2006. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0229.
- Heywood JB. Internal combustion engine fundamentals. McGraw-Hill; 1988.
- Silva, T., Baeta, J., Neto, N. et al. , "Effects of Internal EGR on the downsized Ethanol SIDI Engine Performance and Emission," SAE Technical Paper 2017-36-0264, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-36-0264.