This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation of a numerical procedure for fatigue assessment of a 325mm brake shoe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The air brake system is still the most common brake system in use in heavy diesel vehicles. For safety and economic reasons it is imperative to understand the performance and durability (especially fatigue and wear) of every component of a drum brake, particularly the brake shoes. In applications where torque is lower than 20kNm brake shoes are made of ductile metals such as SAE 1030 steel. For such ductile materials Brown-Miller and Fatemi-Socie are the most recommended methods for fatigue crack initiation life prediction. The next pages discuss the validation of these fatigue methods in the case study of a 325mm brake shoe.
CitationNascimento, V. and Teixeira, G., "Validation of a numerical procedure for fatigue assessment of a 325mm brake shoe," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0004, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0004.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Liu, Yongming ., “Stochastic Modeling of Multiaxial Fatigue and Fracture”. Ph.D. dissertation, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, March, 2006.
- Brown, M. and Miller, K.J. , “A theory for fatigue under multiaxial stress-strain conditions”. Institute of Mech Engineers, 187, pp. 745-756, 1973.
- Meggiolaro, M.A., Tupiassú, J. , “Evaluation of multiaxial stress-strain models and fatigue life prediction methods under proportional loading”, Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, ISBN 978-85-85769-43-7.
- Socie, D., Marquis, G. , “Multiaxial Fatigue”, SAE, 2000.
- Castro, J.T.C., Meggiolaro, M.A. , “Fatigue Design Techniques Under Real Service Loads”, Vol 2, 2016.
- Neuber, H. “Theory of notch stress”. Ann Arbor, MI: J. W. Edwards, 1946.
- Molski, K., Glinka, G. “A Method of Elastic-Plastic Stress and Strain Calculation at a Notch Root”, Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 50, pp. 93-100, 1981.
- Sharifimehr, S., A Fatemi, A. , "Evaluation of Estimation Methods for Shear Fatigue Properties and Correlations with Uniaxial Fatigue Properties for Steels and Titanium Alloys", MATEC Web of Conferences, 165, 16012, 2018.