This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Study on Characteristics of Spray under Air Flow in Gasoline Engine
Published January 24, 2020 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
The air flow affects the spray feature and mixture significantly in gasoline engine. The effects of air flow with atmosphere and pressurized ambient pressure were investigated experimentally in the previous work, the gasoline spray characteristics and air flow are analyzed using CFD method in this study. By polishing the model of droplet breakup according to the experimental results, the simulations are taken with various air flow conditions. Modeling of spray injected under typical condition of crossflow is employed to compare the numerical results with experimental results, using the corrected model the more calculation are carried out simulating the real conditions. With changing the injection and air flow conditions, the spray feature, droplet size, droplet movement, and droplet distribution are calculated by a commercial software. The effects of air flow on spray are clearer by numerical method than that in experimental measurements, the bended spray outline is varied with changing air flow speed, ambient pressure and injection angle, the penetration decreases when the cross-flow speed is increased and better second droplet breakup; Droplet size increases when the ambient pressure is increased, the tiny droplets appears in the area downstream the air flow even after the spray column near nozzle, the coalescence between droplets happens, which case large droplets appear downstream air flow; the small droplets are easy to be mingled with air flow, which is distinct in bottom of spray, the air flow field is also changed by the spray, turbulence appears downstream flow after spray; air flow most enhance the distribution of spray when the spray angle is 90°, decreasing or increasing the spray angle case the more weaken distribution of spray. The numerical results agree with the experimental measurement, it is meaningful to optimize the air flow parameters during design and control.
CitationGuo, M., Nishida, K., Wu, C., and Fan, Q., "Numerical Study on Characteristics of Spray under Air Flow in Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-32-0616, 2020.
- Maozhao X. Mechanism and Modeling of Transcritical/Supercritical Fuel Spray and Mixture Formation in Internal Combustion Engines[J]. Journal of Combustion Science and Technology, 2014, 20(1):1-9.
- Zhang K , Wang Z , Wang J , et al. Spray model based on step response theory[J]. Fuel, 2012, 95:499-503.
- Yeom J K , Lee M J , Chung S S , et al. A proposal for diesel spray model using a TAB breakup model and discrete vortex method[J]. Ksme International Journal, 2002, 16(4):532-548.
- Fu-Shui L , Lei Z , Bai-Gang S , et al. Validation and modification of WAVE spray model for diesel combustion simulation[J]. Fuel, 2008, 87(15-16):3420-3427.
- Mohan B , Yang W , Chou S K . Development of an accurate cavitation coupled spray model for diesel engine simulation[J]. Energy Conversion and Management, 2014, 77:269-277.
- Park S W , Kim H J , Lee K H , et al. Atomization characteristics and prediction accuracy of LISA-DDB model for gasoline direct injection spray[J]. Ksme International Journal, 2004, 18(7):1177-1186.
- Shervani-Tabar M T , Parsa S , Ghorbani M . Numerical study on the effect of the cavitation phenomenon on the characteristics of fuel spray[J]. Mathematical and Computer Modelling, 2012, 56(5-6).
- Hoyas S , Gil A , Margot X , et al. Evaluation of the Eulerian-Lagrangian Spray Atomization (ELSA) model in spray simulations: 2D cases[J]. Mathematical and Computer Modelling, 2013, 57(7-8):1686-1693.
- Edson J B , Anquetin S , Mestayer P G , et al. Spray droplet modeling: 2. An interactive Eulerian-Lagrangian model of evaporating spray droplets[J]. Journal of Geophysical Research, 1996, 101(C1):1279.
- Guo M, Kishi R, Shi B, Ogata Y, Nishida K . Effects of cross-flow and ambient pressure on fuel spray injected by hole-type nozzle for DISI engine. Raleigh, NC: ILASS-Americas; 2015.
- Guo M, Shimasaki N, Nishida K, et al. Experimental study on fuel spray characteristics under atmospheric and pressurized cross-flow conditions. Fuel 2016; 184: 846-55.