This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Utilization of Castor Oil-Based Ethyl Ester Biodiesel in a Diesel Engine
Published January 24, 2020 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Biodiesel was prepared through transesterification of castor oil and ethanol. The optimization of parameters related to the yield of transesterification, such as oil to ethanol molar ratio, concentration of catalyst, reaction temperature and reaction time, was investigated. The results indicated that the optimum condition for castor oil ethyl ester (COEE) production was 1:12 oil to ethanol molar ratio, 1.5% catalyst concentration, 40 °C reaction temperature and 150 minutes reaction time. To avoid extremely high viscosity of castor oil which can affect the fuel injection system, COEE was blended with commercial diesel fuel at different concentrations ranged from 5%-15% volume and key properties of fuel blends, mainly focused on fuel lubricity and viscosity were evaluated. The presence of 8% COEE in diesel fuel was concluded as the optimum concentration because the smallest wear scar diameter was obtained after the lubricity test and its viscosity was within acceptable limits prescribed by the standard specification of diesel fuel. Consequently, the blend of 8% COEE and diesel fuel was selected in the engine test. The results showed that the addition of 8% COEE to diesel fuel can improve brake thermal efficiency and brake specific fuel consumption. Moreover, the reduction in carbonaceous gas emissions and oxides of nitrogen was obtained by the combustion of the COEE blend.
- Anupap Pumpuang - School of Mechanical Engineering, Suranaree University of Te
- Somkiat Maithomklang - School of Mechanical Engineering, Suranaree University of Te
- Ekarong Sukjit - School of Mechanical Engineering, Suranaree University of Te
- Disatorn Dejvajara - Ratchasima Wittayalai School, SCiUS-Suranaree University of
- Phannathon Samaiklang - Ratchasima Wittayalai School, SCiUS-Suranaree University of
- Somluethai Sanluecha - Ratchasima Wittayalai School, SCiUS-Suranaree University of
- Manida Tongroon - National Metal and Materials Technology Center
CitationPumpuang, A., Maithomklang, S., Sukjit, E., Dejvajara, D. et al., "Utilization of Castor Oil-Based Ethyl Ester Biodiesel in a Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-32-0606, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- D.P. Geller DP, J.W. Goodrum . Effects of specific fatty acid methyl esters on diesel fuel lubricity. Fuel. 2004;83:2351-2356.
- R. Sattanathan . Production of Biodiesel from Castor Oil with its Performance and Emission Test. International Journal of Science and Research. 2013;4:2319-7064.
- Abdelrahman B. Fadhil, Emaad T.B. Al-Tikrity, Mohammed A. Albadree . Biodiesel production from mixed non-edible oils, castor seed oil and waste fish oil. Fuel. 2017;210:721-728.
- Laureano Canoira, Juan Garcia Galean, Ramon Alcantara, Magin Lapuerta, Reyes Garcia-Contreras . Fatty acid methyl esters (FAMEs) from castor oil: Production process assessment and synergistic effects in its properties. Renewable Energy. 2010;35:208-217.
- S.T. Keera, S.M. El Sabagh, A.R. Taman . Castor oil biodiesel production and optimization. Egyptian Journal of Petroleum. 2018;27:979-984.
- E. Sukjit, J.M. Herreros, J. Piaszyk, K.D. Dearn, A. Tsolakis . Finding synergies in fuels properties for the design of renewable fuels - hydroxylated biodiesel effects on butanol-diesel blends, Environmental Science & Technology. 2013, 47:3535-3542.
- E. Sukjit, J.M. Herreros, K.D. Dearn, A. Tsolakis . Improving ethanol-diesel blend through the use of hydroxylated biodiesel. SAE Technical. 2014 (2014-01-2776).
- E. Sukjit, P. Liplap, S. Maithomklang, W. Arjharn . Experimental Investigation on a DI Diesel Engine Using Waste Plastic Oil Blended with Oxygenated Fuels, SAE Technical Paper, 2017, 2017-24-0116.
- A.V. Bueno, M.P.B. Pereira, J.V. de Oliveira Pontes, F.M.T. de Luna, C.L. Cavalcante , Performance and emissions characteristics of castor oil biodiesel fuel blends, Apply Thermal Energy, vol. 125, pp. 559-566, 2017.