This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on Oil Consumption in Compact Motorcycle Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 24, 2020 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Because the scooter is convenient, the market continues increasing. As a result of market survey, it was revealed that the scooter repeated sudden acceleration and deceleration. Therefore, the oil consumption may occur in special pattern. The oil consumption is an important development target. On the other hand, the oil consumption is complicated phenomenon. In this study, the sulfur trace method was used for measurement of the oil consumption. When a throttle was closed and the intake pipe became the negative pressure, the SO2 emission (oil consumption) increases. Then, using a glass cylinder and a high-speed camera, motion of the engine oil was observed. It was revealed that the engine oil rises to the combustion chamber after stopping at the 4th Land. By a combination of the sulfur trace test and the visualization test, oil consumption phenomenon of the scooter was able to be understood.
CitationKohno, T., Suda, N., and Ninomiya, Y., "Study on Oil Consumption in Compact Motorcycle Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2019-32-0570, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- H. Yoshida , M. Yamada , H. Kobayashi Diesel Engine Oil Consumption Depending on Piston Ring Motion and Design SAE Paper 930995 1995
- T. Inoue , Y. Maeda , M. Takeda , M. Nakada Study of Transient Oil Consumption of Automotive Engine SAE Paper 892110 1989
- M. Hanaoka , A. Ise , N. Nagasaka , H. Osawa , Y. Arakawa , T. Obata New Method for Measurement of Engine Oil Consumption (S-Trace Method) SAE Paper 790936 1979
- Y. Maeda , T. Inoue , M. Nakada , Y. Hamada Investigation of the Transient Oil Consumption Meter SAE Paper 860544 1986
- Furuhama , S. and Takifuchi , M. Measurement of Piston Frictional Force in Actual Operating Diesel Engine SAE Tech. Pap 1979 24
- Noda , T. , Yamamoto , M. Ohmiya , Y. , Kawamoto , J. and Nakada , M. SAE Tech. Pap. Ser., No. 892104 1989 10
- Furuhama , S. , Hiruma , M. and Tsuzita , M. Piston Ring Motion and Its Influence on Engine Tribology SAE Tech. Pap 1979
- T. Tian , L. B. Noordzj , V. W. Wong , J. B. Heywood Modeling Piston-Ring Dynamics, Blowby, and RingTwist Effects, Transaction of the ASME, Journal of. Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 120 843 854 1998
- Furuhama , S. Hiruma , M. 34 12 1977
- Basaki , M. , Saito , K. , Nakashima , T. , and Suzuki , T. Analysis of Oil Consumption at High Engine Speed by Visualization of the Piston Ring Behaviors SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2877 2000