This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
RANS simulation of a multicomponent underexpanded gaseous jet mixing – effects of composition and injection conditions
Published January 24, 2020 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Fuel injection and mixing processes determine quality of the subsequent combustion in a DI engine, and description of these processes is vital to optimize the engine performance. Reynolds-averaged Navier–Stokes approach was applied as a cost-effective tool to simulate the mixing process of a multicomponent gaseous fuel jet of various compositions typical for alcohol reformates. To learn about the physics of reformate mixing, a hydrogen-rich multicomponent jet behavior in a constant-volume chamber was investigated at conditions typical for ICE. The CFD model was validated using a reference case from the published literature. Various Impact of the gaseous jet composition, injection pressure and nozzle diameter on its behavior were studied. The important new finding shows that rising the injection pressure or increasing the nozzle diameter won't affect the jet wall impingement timing for bore sizes typical for light-duty vehicle ICEs. Furthermore, it is shown that the integral parameters of a multicomponent gaseous jet in ICE are mainly determined by the molar weight of the injected gas mixture even with high molecular diffusivity species in the mixture like hydrogen.
CitationThawko, A. and Tartakovsky, L., "RANS simulation of a multicomponent underexpanded gaseous jet mixing – effects of composition and injection conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2019-32-0515, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- L. Tartakovsky, M. Gutman and A. Mosyak : Energy efficiency of road vehicles - trends and challenges. Chapter 3 in the Edited Collection "Energy Efficiency: Methods, Limitations and Challenges", Emmanuel F. Santos Cavalcanti and Marcos Ribeiro Barbosa (editors), Nova Science Publishers, p. 63-90, 2012.
- Verhelst S. Recent progress in the use of hydrogen as a fuel for internal combustion engines. Int J Hydrogen Energy 2014; 39(2): 1071-85.
- Das LM . Hydrogen engines: A view of the past and a look into the future. Int J Hydrogen Energy 1990;15(6):425-43.
- Wimmer A, Wallner T, Ringler J, Gerbig F . H2-direct injection-a highly promising combustion concept. SAE Tech Paper 2005; 2005-01-0108.
- Kalam MA, Masjuki HH . An experimental investigation of high performance natural gas engine with direct injection. Energy 2011;36(5):3563-71.
- Mohammadi A, Shioji M, Nakai Y, Ishikura W, Tabo E . Performance and combustion characteristics of a direct injection SI hydrogen engine. Int J Hydrogen Energy 2007;32(2):296-304.
- Eyal A. and Tartakovsky L. , Reforming Controlled Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition-Simulation Results, SAE Technical Paper 2016-32-0014.
- Verhelst S., Turner J.W., Sileghem L. and Vancoillie J. , Methanol as a fuel for internal combustion engines. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 2019, 70: 43-88.
- Morgenstern DA, Fornango JP . Low-temperature reforming of ethanol over copper-plated raney nickel: A new route to sustainable hydrogen for transportation. Energy and Fuels 2005; 19(4): 1708-16.
- Eyal, A. and Tartakovsky L. , Reforming-Controlled Compression Ignition-A Method Combining Benefits of Reactivity-Controlled Compression Ignition and High-Pressure Thermochemical Recuperation. SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0964.
- Wang W, Herreros JM, Tsolakis A, York APE . Ammonia as hydrogen carrier for transportation; Investigation of the ammonia exhaust gas fuel reforming. Int J Hydrogen Energy 2013; 38(23): 9907-17.
- Brown LF . A comparative study of fuels for on-board hydrogen production for fuel-cell-powered automobiles. Int J Hydrogen Energy 2001;26(4):381-97.
- Tartakovsky. L and Sheintuch. M , "Fuel reforming in internal combustion engines", Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 2018; 67; 88-114.
- Poran A, Thawko A, Eyal A, Tartakovsky L. Direct injection internal combustion engine with high-pressure thermochemical recuperation-Experimental study of the first prototype. Int. J Hydrogen Energy 2018; 43(27): 11969-80.
- Poran A, Tartakovsky L . Energy efficiency of a direct-injection internal combustion engine with high-pressure methanol steam reforming. Energy 2015; 88: 506-14.
- Poran A, Tartakovsky L. Influence of methanol reformate injection strategy on performance, available exhaust gas enthalpy and emissions of a direct-injection spark ignition engine. Int J Hydrogen Energy 2017;42(23):15652-68.
- Poran A, Tartakovsky L. Performance and emissions of a direct injection internal combustion engine devised for joint operation with a high-pressure thermochemical recuperation system. Energy 2017; 124:214-26.
- Poran A, Artoul M, Sheintuch M, Tartakovsky L . Modeling internal combustion engine with thermochemical recuperation of the waste heat by methanol steam reforming. SAE Int J Engines 2014;7(1):234-42.
- Tartakovsky L, Amiel R, Baibikov V, Fleischman R, Gutman M, Poran A, Veinblat M . SI engine with direct injection of methanol reforming products - first experimental results. SAE Technical Paper 2015-32-0712, 2015.
- Tenenbaum J, Shapiro M, Tartakovsky L . An Analytical Model of a Two-phase Jet with Application to Fuel Sprays in Internal Combustion Engines. SAE Int J Engines 2015;8(1):151-64
- Fang T, Coverdill RE, Lee C fon F, White RA., Air-fuel mixing and combustion in a small-bore direct injection optically accessible diesel engine using a retarded single injection strategy. Fuel 2009;88(11):2074-82.
- Gold M, Stokes J, Morgan R, Heikal M, de Sercey G, Begg S . Air-fuel mixing in a homogeneous charge DI gasoline engine. SAE Tech Paper 2001; 2001-01-0968.
- Zheng Y., Lee PI ., Matsumoto A., Xie X., Lai MC. CFD Simulation and Optical Engine Diagnostics of Mixture Formation Processes in DI Gasoline Engine with Flexible Valvetrain. In: SAE-China, FISITA (eds) Proceedings of the FISITA 2012 World Automotive Congress. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering 2013; vol 190. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg
- Friedrich W, Grzeszik R, Wensing M . Mixture Formation in a CNG-DI Engine in Stratified Operation. SAE Tech Paper 2015; 2015-24-2474.
- Scarcelli R, Wallner T, Matthias N, Salazar V, Kaiser S . Mixture formation in direct injection hydrogen engines: CFD and optical analysis of single-and multi-hole nozzles. SAE Int J Engines 2011;4(2):2361-75.
- Yu J, Vuorinen V, Hillamo H, Sarjovaara T, Kaario O, Larmi M . An experimental investigation on the flow structure and mixture formation of low pressure ratio wall-impinging jets by a natural gas injector. J Nat Gas Sci Eng 2012; 9:1-10.
- Sukumaran S, Kong SC . Numerical study on mixture formation characteristics in a direct-injection hydrogen engine. Int J Hydrogen Energy 2010;35(15):7991-8007.
- Franquet E, Perrier V, Gibout S, Bruel P . Free underexpanded jets in a quiescent medium: A review. Prog Aerosp Sci 2015; 77:25-53.
- Crist S, Sherman PM, Glass DR . Study of the highly underexpanded sonic jet. AIAA J. 1966;4(1):68-71.
- Donaldson C. Dup., Snedeker DS. A study of free jet impingement. Part 1. Mean properties of free and impinging jets. J Fluid Mech 1971;45(2):281-319.
- Le Moine J, Senecal PK, Kaiser S a., Salazar VM, Anders JW, Svensson KI, et al. A Computational Study of the Mixture Preparation in a Direct-Injection Hydrogen Engine. J Eng Gas Turbines Power 2015; 137(11):111508.
- Keskinen K, Kaario O, Nuutinen M, Vuorinen V, Künsch Z, Liavâg LO, et al. Mixture formation in a direct injection gas engine: Numerical study on nozzle type, injection pressure and injection timing effects. Energy 2016;94: 542-56.
- Vuorinen V, Wehrfritz A, Duwig C, Boersma BJ . Large-eddy simulation on the effect of in jection pressure and density on fuel jet mixing in gas engines. Fuel 2014; 130:241-50.
- Hamzehloo A, Aleiferis P . Computational study of hydrogen direct injection for internal combustion engines. SAE Tech Paper 2013; 2013-01-2524.
- Hamzehloo A, Aleiferis PG . Gas dynamics and flow characteristics of highly turbulent under-expanded hydrogen and methane jets under various nozzle pressure ratios and ambient pressures. Int J Hydrogen Energy 2016;41(15):6544-66.
- Tritton, D.J . Physical Fluid Dynamics, Section 22.7, “The Coanda Effect”, Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1977.
- Wallner T, Matthias NS, Scarcelli R . Influence of injection strategy in a high-efficiency hydrogen direct injection engine. SAE Int J Fuels and Lubr 2012;5(1):289-300.
- Choi M, Song J, Park S . Modeling of the fuel injection and combustion process in a CNG direct injection engine. Fuel 2016; 179:168-78.
- Schiestel R. Modeling and Simulation of Turbulent Flows. London, ISTE;2008.
- McGee HA . Molecular engineering. McGraw-Hill; 1991.
- Cussler E . Diffusion: mass transfer in fluid systems. Cambridge University Press; 2009.
- Vuorinen V, Yu J, Tirunagari S, Kaario O, Larmi M, Duwig C, et al. Large-eddy simulation of highly underexpanded transient gas jets. Phys Fluids 2013;25(1).
- Yu J, Vuorinen V, Hillamo H, Sarjovaara T, Kaario O, Larmi M . An experimental study on high pressure pulsed jets for DI gas engine using planar laser-induced fluorescence. SAE Tech Paper 2012; 2012-01-1655.
- Hamzehloo A, Aleiferis PG . Large eddy simulation of highly turbulent under-expanded hydrogen and methane jets for gaseous-fuelled internal combustion engines. Int J Hydrogen Energy. 2014;39(36):21275-96.
- Schumacher M, Wensing M . Investigations on an Injector for a Low Pressure Hydrogen Direct Injection. SAE Tech Paper 2014; 2014-01-2699.
- Hajialimohammadi A, Edgington-Mitchell D, Honnery D, Montazerin N, Abdullah A, Agha Mirsalim M . Ultra high speed investigation of gaseous jet injected by a single-hole injector and proposing of an analytical method for pressure loss prediction during transient injection. Fuel 2016; 184:100-9.
- Müller F, Schmitt M, Wright YM, Boulouchos K . Determination of supersonic inlet boundaries for gaseous engines based on detailed RANS and LES simulations. SAE Int J Engines 2013; 6(3):1532-43.
- Ouellette P, Hill PG . Turbulent Transient Gas Injections. J Fluids Eng 2000; 122:743-52.
- Ashkenas H, Sherman FS. The Structure and Utilization of Supersonic Free Jets in Low Density Wind Tunnels. Rarefied Gas Dyn - Vol 2 Proc Fourth Int Symp held Inst Aerosp Stud Toronto, 1966;222(45):84-105.
- Erfan I, Chitsaz I, Ziabasharhagh M, Hajialimohammadi A, Fleck B . Injection characteristics of gaseous jet injected by a single-hole nozzle direct injector. Fuel 2015; 160:24-34.
- Gao J, Jiang D, Huang Z . Spray properties of alternative fuels: A comparative analysis of ethanol-gasoline blends and gasoline. Fuel 2007;86(10-11):1645-50.