This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Bosch On Board Diagnostic solutions for Motorcycles
Published January 24, 2020 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
EU OBD legislation requirements will bring new challenges for motorcycle engine control from 2020 and 2024 respectively. This paper gives a perspective on the Bosch solutions for On Board Monitoring functions to implement the legislation requirements. Specifically the approach and validation results for the monitor for Secondary Air Injection (SAI) will be highlighted. OBD is well established e.g. for passenger car systems in worldwide markets with Bosch solutions covering different system configurations and legislation requirements. While a large portion of the required OBD monitors for motorcycles can be carried over from passenger car solutions with modifications and enhancements where needed, some specific monitors had to be developed from scratch. These new monitors are required for subsystems and components which do not exist in the passenger car environment, e.g. a controlled valve between the intake manifold and engine outlet of the motorcycle to implement secondary air injection. Special focus of this presentation is on the OBD monitoring of the secondary air injection control valve, where robustness is a challenge given the boundary conditions of only binary lambda sensors available in the systems. Challenges are detection of the actual functioning of the secondary air valve with the binary downstream lambda sensor under real world operating conditions and completion of the diagnostic in the WMTC and on the road. A proof of the chosen conceptual approach is given by the implementation into series software and by validation test results on a 1-cylinder motorcycle. Measurements show, that a malfunction will be detected both in the WMTC and during normal driving.
- H. Jessen - Robert Bosch GmbH, Robert Bosch Engineering and Business Sol
- A. Kushal - Robert Bosch GmbH, Robert Bosch Engineering and Business Sol
- A. Sabu - Robert Bosch GmbH, Robert Bosch Engineering and Business Sol
- S. Hande - Robert Bosch GmbH, Robert Bosch Engineering and Business Sol
- M. Tappe - Robert Bosch GmbH, Robert Bosch Engineering and Business Sol
CitationJessen, H., Kushal, A., Sabu, A., Hande, S. et al., "Bosch On Board Diagnostic solutions for Motorcycles," SAE Technical Paper 2019-32-0513, 2020.
- Jessen, H., Willimowski M., Tappe M. : "Bosch Development for Motorcycle OBD II", in SAE 2017 OnBoard Diagnostics Symposium - Europe, 21.23.02.2017.
- Hernandez J., Herding G., Carstensen A., Spicher U. , “A Study of the Thermochemical Conditions in the Exhaust Manifold Using Secondary Air in a 2.0 L Engine”, SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1676, 2002.
- Koehlen, C., Holder, E., Vent, G. , “Investigation of Post Oxidation and Its Dependency on Engine Combustion and Exhaust Manifold Design”, SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0744, 2002.
- Borland, M., Zhao, F. “Application of Secondary Air Injection for Simultaneously Reducing Converter-In Emissions and Improving Catalyst Light-Off Performance”, SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2803, 2002.
- Onorati, A., Ferrari G., D'Errico, G. , “Secondary Air Injection in the Exhaust After-Treatment System of S.I. Engines: 1D Fluid Dynamic Modeling and Experimental Investigation”, SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0366, 2003.
- Lee, D., Heywood, J. , “Effects of Secondary Air Injection During Cold Start of SI Engines”, SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2124, 2010.
- Kochs, M., Kloda, M., van de Venne, G, Golden, E. “Innovative Secondary Air Injection Systems”, SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0658, 2001.
- Buinfuriito M., Goehre J., Moser, W, Yohen, G. , “Method and arrangement for controlling the supply of secondary air for an internal combustion engine”, US5444975A
- Foerster J., Guenther A., Heinrich D., Kesch B., Thiel C. “Method for Diagnosing a Secondary Air System of an Internal Combustion Engine”, US2005150209A
- Meier F., Blei M., Fey M., Pfeil M. , “Method and Device for controlling and/or monitoring the functions of a secondary air supply in an Emission Control System”, US2017370264A
- Sabu, A., Reddemreddy, P., and Parmar, M. , “Impact of Secondary Air Injection on Small Engine Motorcycle Intended for BS VI Applications”, SAE Technical Paper 2018-32-0068, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-32-0068, 2018.