This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization and Durability of Mold-In-Color Engineering Plastics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
Plastics are prone to photo oxidative and thermal oxidative degradation under usage conditions due to their chemical nature. From sustainability and cost standpoint, there is an increasing focus on Mold-In-Color (MIC) plastic materials. Simultaneously customer’s expectations on the perceived quality of these MIC parts has been increasing with attractive color and glossy appearance.
A study was conducted to analyze the product quality and durability aspects over a prolonged exposure to accelerated weathering condition. Material selected for this study were injection molded specimens of ABS and PC-ABS used in automotive passenger vehicles.
Comparative analysis was conducted before and after weathering exposure at defined intervals by using Fourier Transform infra-red spectrometer (FTIR), differential scanning colorimetry (DSC), universal testing machine (UTM), Izod impact tester and microscope to understand the impact on their chemical and mechanical properties.
CitationShukla, S., "Characterization and Durability of Mold-In-Color Engineering Plastics," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2542, 2019.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- FTIR , “Microspectroscopy of Polymeric Systems,” Adv Polym Sci 163:137-191, 2003, doi:10.1007/b11052.
- Tiganis, B.E. and Burn, L.S. , “The Effects of Heat Aging on Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (ABS) Blends”.
- Hassan, A. and Jwu, W.Y. , “Mechanical Properties of High Impact ABS/PC Blends - Effect of Blend Ratio”.
- Blom, H., Yeh, R., Wojnarowski, R., and Ling, M. , “Detection of Degradation of ABS Materials via DSC”.
- Patty, B.S., Novak, L., and Pham, H. , “Thermal and Hydrolytic Stability of Polycarbonate/Acrylonitrile-Butadiene- Styrene Based Blends”.
- “Ageing Effect on Morphology, Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Impact Modified LDPE/PP Blends from Virgin and Recycled Materials”.
- Kelen, T. , Polymer Degradation 131-135, 1983, doi:https://doi.org/10.1002/pol.1983.130211119.
- Gugumus, F. , Polymer Degradation and Stability 74(2):327-339, 2001.
- Ojeda, T. et al. , Polymer Degradation and Stability 96:703e707, 2011.
- Borovanska, I. , “Thermal Degradation of Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene (ABS) Blends”.
- ASTM D 3418-15 , “Standard Test Method for Transition Temperatures of Polymers by Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC)”.
- ASTM E 1131-08 , “Standard Test Method for Rubber - Compositional Analysis by Thermogravimetry (TGA),” (ABS) blends I. Borovanska, 2014.
- Guinault, A., Sollogoub, C., Tiganisa, B.E., Burna, L.S., Davisa, P., and Hillb, A.J. , “Thermomechanical Properties of ABS/PA and ABS/PC Blends”.
- Automotive Indian Standard AIS-100 , “Requirements for the Protection of Pedestrian and Other Vulnerable Road Users in the Event of a Collision with a Motor Vehicle,” http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/recycle/.