This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization and Durability of Mold-In-Color Engineering Plastics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
Plastics are prone to photo oxidative and thermal oxidative degradation under usage conditions due to their chemical nature. From sustainability and cost standpoint, there is an increasing focus on Mold-In-Color (MIC) plastic materials. Simultaneously customer’s expectations on the perceived quality of these MIC parts has been increasing with attractive color and glossy appearance.
A study was conducted to analyze the product quality and durability aspects over a prolonged exposure to accelerated weathering condition. Material selected for this study were injection molded specimens of ABS and PC-ABS used in automotive passenger vehicles.
Comparative analysis was conducted before and after weathering exposure at defined intervals by using Fourier Transform infra-red spectrometer (FTIR), differential scanning colorimetry (DSC), universal testing machine (UTM), Izod impact tester and microscope to understand the impact on their chemical and mechanical properties.
CitationShukla, S., "Characterization and Durability of Mold-In-Color Engineering Plastics," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2542, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2542.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- FTIR Microspectroscopy of Polymeric Systems Adv Polym Sci 163 137 191 2003 10.1007/b11052
- Tiganis , B.E. and Burn , L.S.
- Hassan , A. and Jwu , W.Y.
- Blom , H. , Yeh , R. , Wojnarowski , R. , and Ling , M.
- Patty , B.S. , Novak , L. , and Pham , H.
- Kelen , T. Polymer Degradation 131 135 1983 https://doi.org/10.1002/pol.1983.130211119
- Gugumus , F. Polymer Degradation and Stability 74 2 327 339 2001
- Ojeda , T. et al. Polymer Degradation and Stability 96 703e707 2011
- Borovanska , I.
- ASTM D 3418-15
- ASTM E 1131-08 2014
- Guinault , A. , Sollogoub , C. , Tiganisa , B.E. , Burna , L.S. , Davisa , P. , and Hillb , A.J.
- Automotive Indian Standard AIS-100 http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/recycle/