This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High Durable PU Metallic Monocoat System for Tractor Sheet Metal Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
In sheet metal painting for various applications like tractor and automobiles, most attractive coating is metallic paints. It is widely applied using 3 coat 2 bake or 3 coat 1 bake technology. Both options, results in high energy consumption, higher production through put time and lower productivity in manufacturing process. During various brainstorming and sustainability initiatives, paint application process was identified to reduce burden on environment and save energy. Various other industry benchmarking and field performance requirement studies helped to identify critical quality parameters. There was collaboration with supplier to develop monocoat system without compromising any performance and aesthetic properties. This resulted in achieving better productivity, elimination of two paint layers, substantial reduction in volatile organic content, elimination of one baking cycle and energy saving.
Metallic mono-coat formulated using strong polyurethane resins and latest technology pre-coated aluminum pigment for achieving metallic effect in finish. With new resin technology, further reduction in baking temperature and energy is possible.
CitationLalwani, R., Sawant, S., keskar, Y., Pagar, N. et al., "High Durable PU Metallic Monocoat System for Tractor Sheet Metal Application," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2541, 2019.
- Nelson, K., Akafuah, S.P., Salaimeh, A., Patrick, G., and Lawler, K. , Evolution of the Automotive Body Coating Process a Review April 2, 2016; Accepted June 8, 2016; Published June 13, 2016.
- SAE J1960 , “Accelerated Exposure of Automotive Exterior Materials Using a Controlled Irradiance Water-Cooled Xenon Arc Apparatus”.
- SAE Standard , “Laboratory Cyclic Corrosion Test,” SAE J2334.
- ASTM D16 , “Terminology Relating to Paint, Varnish, Lacquer and Related Products”.
- ASTM B117 , “Salt Spray Resistance Test”.
- JIS K5400 , “Testing Methods for Paints”.
- JIS D0202 , “General Rules of Coating Films for Automobile Parts”.
- ASTM D6279 , “Standard Test Method for Rub Abrasion Mar Resistance of High Gloss Coatings”.
- JIS K 5600 , “Testing Methods for Paints”.
- ISO 1520 , “Paints & Varnishes - Cupping Test,” 2006.
- SAE J400 , “Test for Chip Resistance of Surface Coatings,” Nov 2002.