This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design Analysis of a Retrofit System for an Electric Two Wheeler
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
Two wheelers are the major mode of single transport in the metros of India. They contribute about 70% of the auto market unit wise. Also it is proved from the research that for per unit energy consumption they contribute more to the environment emission. Conventional IC engine based energy supply unit can be replaced with an electric DC motor with chargeable battery as the energy source for the two wheelers present in the market. In the current research, engine is replaced with the motor, batteries and controller. The above system is placed on the space emptied by the conventional engine. The design developed is tested on different gradients for identifying the motor torque for minimum and maximum resistances available on the road. The paper provides an insight on the torque requirements based on variable resistances required for two wheelers. Also the system will be used as a retrofit for the existing IC engine bikes to be converted in electric bikes. The paper will help in deign calculation and selection of motor for new designs developed in future.
CitationVashist, D., "Design Analysis of a Retrofit System for an Electric Two Wheeler," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2482, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2482.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Majumdar, D., Majumder, A., and Jash, T. , “Performance of Low Speed Electric Two-Wheelers in the Urban Traffic Conditions: A Case Study in Kolkata School of Energy Studies,” Energy Procedia 90(2016):238-244, Dec. 2015.
- Meyera, D., Klossa, G., and Sennera, V. , “Estimation of Rolling Resistances during Cycling,” Procedia Engineering 147(2016):526-531, 2016.
- Sharada Prasad, N. and Nataraj, K.R. , “Design and Development of Hybrid Electric Two Wheeler Suitable for Indian Road Condition,” International Journal of Electrical, Electronics and Data Communication 2:2320-2084, 2014.
- Patil, P.G. , “Advanced Battery Technology for Electric Two-Wheelers in the People’s Republic of China,” Energy Division Laboratory, June 2009.
- Bobba, P.B. and Rajagopal, K.R. , “Modeling and Analysis of Hybrid Energy Storage Systems Used in Electric Vehicles,” in IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems, 1-6, Dec. 16-19, 2012.
- Pal, M., Parways, M.A., Aqif, M., and Hussain, S. , “Design of Electric Two Wheeler,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering 3(3), June 2014.
- Salmeron-Manzano, E. and Manzano-Agugliaro, F. , “The Electric Bicycle: Worldwide Research Trends,” Energies 11(7):1-16, July 2018.
- Gis, W., ĩóátowski, A., and BocheĔska, A. , “Testing of the Electric Vehicle in Driving Cycle,” Poland Journal of KONES Powertrain and Transport 19(4), 2012.
- Patil, R.S., Bharambe, R.S., Pawar, V.Y., Sugandhi, S. et al. , “Analysis of Electric Vehicle Drive Train,” Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET) 05(04):0056-0072, Apr. 2018.
- Chauhan, S. , “Motor Torque Calculations For Electric Vehicle,” International Journal of Scientific & Technology Research 4(08), Aug. 2015, ISSN:2277-8616.
- Nair, S.S., Nalakath, S., Santhi, I., Jabez Dhinagar, S. et al. , “IEEE Design Aspects of High Torque Density-Low Speed Permanent Magnet Motor for Electric Two Wheeler Applications,” 768-774, 2013.
- Sapundzhiev, M., Evtimov, I., and Ivanov, R. , “Determination of the Needed Power of an Electric Motor on the Basis of Acceleration Time of the Electric Car,” Materials Science and Engineering 252, 2017.
- Sehab, R. and Shanan, T. , “Control Laws for the Emulation of an Electric Vehicle,” Drivetrain by Two Electric Machines (Beijing, China, Laboratoire de Mécatronique ESTACA, 2013), 87-93.
- Gudmundsson, B.F. and Larsen, E. , “Integration of a Folding Electric Two-Wheeler Vehicle for a Future Commuting Transportation,” World Electric Vehicle Journal 5:276-286, 2012.
- Argueta, R. , “The Electric Vehicle,” Technical Report, Santa Barbara College of Engineering, University of California, Mar. 1-9, 2010.