This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluating Effects of Roll Stiffness Change at Front and Rear Axles on Vehicle Maneuverability and Stability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
To cater the push towards “Vehicle Light Weighting”, both sprung and unsprung mass are being reduced. This results in reduced stiffness and thus has a profound undesirable effect on the overall vehicle handling. To understand the effect of different reduction ratios of sprung to unsprung mass; it is desired to understand how changes in stiffness affect the overall vehicle handling characteristics. Therefore, the study was conducted to experiment with different values of roll stiffness, at both front and rear axles and comparing the frequency response and phase change of Yaw Gain observed through a Pulse Input test. The present work is further correlated with subjective feedback to predict the shift in vehicle balance and handling characteristics.
CitationReuben, E., Budhiraja, R., N, S., K, R. et al., "Evaluating Effects of Roll Stiffness Change at Front and Rear Axles on Vehicle Maneuverability and Stability," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2406, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2406.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Metz , L. What Constitutes Good Handling? SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3532 2004 10.4271/2004-01-3532
- Gillespie , T. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics Warrandale, PA Society of Automobile Engineers 1992
- Vedamuthu , S. and Law , E.H. An Investigation of the Pulse Steer Method for Determining Automobile Handling Qualities SAE Technical Paper 930829 1993 10.4271/930829
- Mimuro , T. , Ohsaki , M. , Yasunaga , H. , and Satoh , K. Four Parameter Evaluation Method of Lateral Transient Response SAE Technical Paper 901734 1990 10.4271/901734
- Heydinger , G. , Grygier , P. , and Lee , S. Pulse Testing Techniques Applied to Vehicle Handling Dynamics SAE Technical Paper 930828 1993 10.4271/930828
- Fernandes , C. , Passos , L. , de Mello , K. , and Peres , E. A New Approach to Improve Steering Response Development Using Bode Diagrams SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2548 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2548
- Reddy , K. and Sujatha , C. Frequency Domain Sensitivity Analysis of Yaw Rate and Lateral Acceleration Response of Front Wheel Steering Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2001-26-0035 2001 10.4271/2001-26-0035
- Allen , R. , Rosenthal , T. , and Szostak , H. Steady State and Transient Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling SAE Technical Paper 870495 1987 10.4271/870495