This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Technical Review on Performance and Emissions of Compressed Natural Gas - Diesel Dual Fuel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
In view of the depletion of energy and environmental pollution, dual fuel technology has caught the attention of researchers as a viable technology keeping in mind the increased availability of fuels like Compressed Natural Gas (CNG). It is an ecologically friendly technology due to lower particulate matter (PM) and smoke emissions and retains the efficiency of diesel combustion. Generally, dual fuel technology has been prevalent for large engines like marine, locomotive and stationary engines. However, its use for automotive engines has been limited in the past due to constraints of the limited supply of alternative fuels. CNG is a practical fuel under dual-fuel mode operation, with varying degree of success. The induction method prevents a premixed natural gas-air mixture, minimizes the volumetric efficiency and results in a loss of power at higher speeds. Under lower engine operating temperatures, at low-intermediate loads, the oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions reduce however hydrocarbon (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) emissions are significantly increased. This paper reviews the fuel properties of CNG comparison with diesel, methods available to use CNG in automobiles, combustion, performance and emissions of CNG- diesel dual fuel engine.
CitationMuralidharan, M., Srivastava, A., and Subramanian, M., "A Technical Review on Performance and Emissions of Compressed Natural Gas - Diesel Dual Fuel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2390, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2390.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- “Energy Overview,” http://www.indiacore.com/overview-energy.html.
- Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas, Govt. of India , “Consumption of Petroleum Products, Petroleum Planning & Analysis Cell.”
- Yoon, S.H. and Lee, C.S. , “Experimental Investigation on the Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Biogas-Biodiesel Dual-Fuel Combustion in a CI Engine,” Fuel Process Technol. 92:992-1000, 2011.
- Müller, J.-O., Su, D.S., Jentoft, R.E., Wild, U., and Schlögl, R. , “Diesel Engine Exhaust Emission: Oxidative Behavior and Microstructure of Black Smoke Soot Particulate,” Environ Sci Technol. 40:1231-1236, 2006.
- Zhu, J., Aikawa, B., and Pigeon, R. , “Measurement of Fine Particles in Diesel Emissions Using a Real Time Aerosol Monitor,” J Air Waste Manage Assoc. 55:978-983, 2005.
- Black, K., Divita, F., Margiotta, R., Guensler, R. , FHWA Supersite Study, “Correlating Particulate Matter Mobile Source Emissions to Ambient Air Quality,” Poster Presentation for EPA Emission Inventory Conference, 2004.
- Korakianitis, T., Namasivayam, A.M., and Crookes, R.J. , “Natural-Gas Fueled Spark-Ignition (SI) and Compression-Ignition (CI) Engine Performance and Emissions,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 37(1):89-112, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.pecs.2010.04.002.
- Demirbas, A. , Methane Gas Hydrate (Springer, 2010).
- BP Statistical Review of World Energy, 67th Edition, June 2018.
- Korakianitis, T., Namasivayam, A.M., and Crookes, R.J. , “Natural-Gas Fueled Spark-Ignition (SI) and Compression-Ignition (CI) Engine Performance and Emissions,” Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 37:89-112, 2011.
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (McGraw-Hill, 1988).
- Turrio-Baldassarri, L., Battistelli, C.L., Conti, L., Crebelli, R. et al. , “Evaluation of Emission Toxicity of Urban Bus Engines: Compressed Natural Gas and Comparison with Liquid Fuels,” Science of The Total Environment 355(1-3):64-77, February 2006.
- “Overview of Greenhouse Gases, Methane Emissions,” http://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/gases/ch4.html, 2013.
- Lampinen, A. , “Development and Governance of Renewable Methane Use in Transport Applications,” ACTA Academia Stromstandiensis, No. XIX, October MMXIII, ISBN 978-91-86607-20-3.
- Lemke, B.S. et al , “Performance and Efficiency of a Bi-Fuel Bio Methane/Gasoline Vehicle,” in International Conference on Renewable Energies and Power Quality (ICREPQ’11), Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Spain), April 13-15, 2011.
- Thipse, S., Kulkarni, A., J Vispute, S., Rairikar, S. et al. , “Development of Dual Fuel (Diesel-CNG) Engine for SUV Application in India,” SAE Int. J. Engines 8(1):341-349, 2015.
- Borman, G.L. and Ragland, K.W. , Combustion Engineering (WCB/McGraw-Hill, 1998).
- Wong, W.L. , “Compressed Natural Gas as an Alternate Fuel in Diesel Engine,” B.E. (Mechanical) Dissertation, University of Southern Queensland, October 2005.
- Bhandari, K. et al. , “Performance and Emissions of Natural Gas Fueled Internal Combustion Engine,” A Review, JSIR 64:333-338, 2005.
- Singh, R. and Sagar, M. , “Dual Fueling of a Twin-Cylinder Compression Ignition Engine with Diesel and CNG,” Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 7:90-99, 2012.
- Modarres, R.M.R. and Karim, G.A. , “Examination of the Dual-Fuel Engine Performance Using Low Btu Gaseous Fuels,” in Proc. 13th International Conference on Thermal Engineering and Thermogrammetry, Hungary, 2003.
- Carlucci, A.P., de Risi, A., Laforgia, D., and Naccarato, F. , “Experimental Investigation and Combustion Analysis of a Direct Injection Dual-Fuel Diesel-Natural Gas Engine,” Energy 33(2):256-263, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2007.06.005.
- Gibson, C.M. et al , “Comparison of Propane and Methane Performance and Emissions in a Turbocharged Direct Injection Dual Fuel Engine,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, September 2011, 133/092806-1.
- Königsson, F., Stålhammar, P., and Ångström, H. , “Combustion Modes in a Diesel-CNG Dual Fuel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1962, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1962.
- Hanson, R., Kokjohn, S., Splitter, D., and Reitz, R. , “Fuel Effects on Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Combustion at Low Load,” SAE Int. J. Engines 4(1):394-411, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0361.
- Reitz, R.D. , “DOE Project: Optimization of Advanced Diesel Engine Combustion Strategies,” University Research in Advanced Combustion and Emissions Control Office of FreedomCAR and Vehicle Technologies Program DE-EE0000202, Final Report, October 2012.
- AVL MTC AB , “Enhanced Emissions Support and Fuel Efficiency for HD Methane Engines,” 2010.
- http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/06/bosch-launches.html, 2013.
- http://prh.mecanica.ufrj.br/index_arquivos/palestras/20111118.pdf, 2013.
- http://www.westport.com/is/core-technologies/hpdi-2, 2016.
- Nafis, A.-I., Gajendra Babu, M.K., and Ramesh, A. , “Experimental Investigations of Different Parameters Affecting the Performance of a CNG-Diesel Dual Fuel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3767, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-3767.
- Selim, M.Y.E. , “Effect of Engine Parameters and Gaseous Fuel Type on the Cyclic Variability of Dual Fuel Engines,” Fuel 84:2004.
- Shen, J., Qin, J., and Yao, M. , “Turbocharged Diesel/CNG Dual-Fuel Engines with Intercooler: Combustion, Emissions and Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3082, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-3082.
- Duc, P.M. and Wattanavichien, K. , “Study on Biogas Premixed Charge Diesel Dual Fuelled Engine,” Energy Conversion & Management 48, 2007.
- Yoon, S.H. and Lee, C.S. , “Experimental Investigation on the Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Biogas-Diesel Dual-Fuel Combustion in a CI Engine,” Fuel Processing Technology 92, 2011.
- Carlucci, A.P., Laforgia, D., Saracino, R., and Toto, G. , “Combustion and Emissions Control Ina Diesel-Methane Dual Fuel Engines: The Effects of Methane Supply Method Combined with Variable In-Cylinder Bulk Motion,” Energy Conversion and Management 52, 2011.
- Carlucci, A.P., de Risi, A., Laforgia, D., and Naccarato, F. , “Experimental Investigation and Combustion Analysis of a Direct Injection Dual-Fuel Diesel-Natural Gas Engine,” Energy 33:256-263, 2008.
- Papagiannakis, R.G., Rakopoulos, C.D., Hountalas, D.T., and Rakopoulos, D.C. , “Emission Characteristics of High Speed, Dual Fuel, Compression Ignition Engine Operating in a Wide Range of Natural Gas/Diesel Fuel Proportions,” Fuel 89(7):1397-1406, July 2010.
- Selim, M.Y.E. , “Pressure-Time Characteristics in Diesel Engine Fueled with Natural Gas,” Renewable Energy 22(4):473-489, April 2001.
- Duc, P.M. and Wattanavichien, K. , “Study on Biogas Premixed Charge Diesel Dual Fuelled Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 48(8):2286-2308, August 2007.
- Selim, M.Y.E. , “Effect of Engine Parameters and Gaseous Fuel Type on the Cyclic Variability of Dual Fuel Engines,” Fuel 84(7-8):961-971, May 2005.
- Korakianitis, T., Namasivayam, A.M., Crookes, R.J., Imran, S., Ihracska, B., Diez, A., and Malik, N.A. , “Compression-Ignition Engine Performance and Emissions in Single and Dual Fuelling Modes with Sustainable Fuels,” in Proceeding (756) Power and Energy Systems and Applications, 2011, doi:10.2316/P.2011.714-130.
- Selim, M.Y.E. , “Sensitivity of Dual Fuel Engine Combustion and Knocking Limits to Gaseous Fuel Composition,” Energy Conversion and Management 45(3):411-425, February 2004.
- Namasivayam A.S. , “Combustion, Performance and Emissions Characteristics of Compression-Ignition Engines Fuelled by Sustainable Fuels,” Ph.D. thesis, School of Engineering and Materials Science, Queen Mary University of London, January 2011.
- Papagiannakis, R.G. and Hountalas, D.T. , “Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of a Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine Operated with Pilot Diesel Fuel and Natural Gas,” Energy Conversion and Management 45(18-19):2971-2987, November 2004.
- Khoshbakhti Saray, R. , “Enhancement of Combustion Process in Dual Fuel Engines at Part Loads by Using Suitable Techniques,” IJE TRANSACTIONS B: Applications 22(1):77-90, April 2009.
- Selim, M.Y.E. , “Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Some Combustion Characteristics of Dual Fuel Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 44(5):707-721, March 2003.
- McTaggart-Cowan, G.P. , “Hydrogen-Methane Blend Fuelling of a Heavy-Duty, Direct-Injection Engine,” in Proceedings of IMECE 2007, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, November 11-15, 2007, Seattle, WA, IMECE2007-41373.
- Mattson, J., Langness, C., and Depcik, C. , “An Analysis of Dual-Fuel Combustion of Diesel with Compressed Natural gas in a Single-Cylinder Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0248, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0248.
- Sahoo, B.B., Sahoo, N., and Saha, U.K. , “Effect of Engine Parameters and Type of Gaseous Fuel on the Performance of Dual-Fuel Gas Diesel Engines - A Critical Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 13:1151-1184, 2009.
- Yang, B., Wang, L., Ning, L., and Zeng, K. , “Effects of Pilot Injection Timing on the Combustion Noise and Particle Emissions of a Diesel/Natural Gas Dual-Fuel Engine at Low Load,” Applied Thermal Engineering 102:822-828, 2016.
- Zhou, H., Li, X., and Lee, C.-F.F. , “Investigation on Soot Emissions from Diesel-CNG Dual-Fuel,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 44:9438-9449, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.ijhydene.2019.02.012.
- Langness, C., Mattson, J., and Depcik, C. , “Moderate Substitution of Varying Compressed Natural Gas Constituents for Assisted Diesel Combustion,” Combustion Science and Technology 189(8):1354-1372, doi:10.1080/00102202.2017.1295040.
- Dec, J.E. , “Advanced Compression-Ignition Engines-Understanding the In-Cylinder Processes,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 32:2727-2742, 2009.
- Yang, B. et al. , “Experimental Study of the Effects of Natural Gas Injection Timing on the Combustion Performance and Emissions of a Turbocharged Common Rail Dual-Fuel Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 87:297-304, 2014.
- Abd-Alla, G.H., Soliman, H.A., Badr, O.A., and Abd-Rabbo, M.F. , “Effects of Diluent Admissions and Intake Air Temperature in Exhaust Gas Recirculation on the Emissions of an Indirect Injection Dual Fuel Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 42(8):1033-1045, May 2001.
- Guido, C., Napolitano, P., Fraioli, V., Beatrice, C. et al. , “Assessment of Engine Control Parameters Effect to Minimize GHG Emissions in a Dual Fuel NG/Diesel Light Duty Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-0266, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-0266.
- McTaggart-Cowan, G.P., Jones, H.L., Rogak, S.N., Bushe, W.K. et al. , “The Effects of High-Pressure Injection on a Compression-Ignition, Direct Injection of Natural Gas Engine,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 129(2):579-588, April 2007.