This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fabrication and Machinability Study of Al2219 Metal Matrix Composites Reinforced with SiN/MoS2 Nanoparticles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Composites materials are substituting constituents for traditional materials due to their remarkable properties, and the addition of nanoparticles gives a new development in the material domain. The nanoparticles influence on fabrication and machinability investigation study is essential as the composites to be used in applications like automotive and aerospace. The current study investigates the machinability characteristics of Al2219 based metal composites reinforced with nanoparticles of SiN/MoS2. Al2219- reinforcements (SiN and MoS2) composites are fabricated by the method of stir casting. Four different compositions (Al2219/SiN (2 wt% and 4 wt%), , Al2219/2 wt.% SiN/ 2 wt.% MoS2, Al2219/2 wt.% MoS2) are fabricated by varying the different weight percentages of nanoparticles reinforcements. An attempt is made to study the investigation analysis of force, surface roughness, and tool wear using CNC machine lathe to consider the effect of cutting speed, cutting depth, and samples. The machinability test is carried out, and the performance is compared. Addition of 2 wt% of SiN in Al2219 is to increase the hardness of nearly about 21%, 14%, 40% compared to that of other composites. The presence of SiN is found to increase the force, surface roughness, and tool wear. The reinforcement percentage is the most controlling factor for machinability characteristics within the limited range of parameters. Regression models for machining responses are developed, which models show a good agreement between predicted and experimental data. The developed composites found an important product application of industrial and domestic applications.
- Vetri Velmurugan Kannan - Sri Sairam Engineering College
- Venkatesan Kannan - Vellore Institute of Technology
- Devendiran Sundararajan - Vellore Institute of Technology
- Akshay Seth - Vellore Institute of Technology
- Navya Sood - Vellore Institute of Technology
- Aditya Babu - Vellore Institute of Technology
CitationKannan, V., Kannan, V., Sundararajan, D., Seth, A. et al., "Fabrication and Machinability Study of Al2219 Metal Matrix Composites Reinforced with SiN/MoS2 Nanoparticles," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0170, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0170.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- Singh, R., Shadab, M., Dash, A., and Rai, R.N. , “Characterization of Dry Sliding Wear Mechanisms of AA5083/B 4 C Metal Matrix Composite,” Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering 41(2):98, 2019, doi:10.1007/s40430-019-1593-2.
- Fenghong, C., Chang, C., Zhenyu, W., Muthuramalingam, T., and Anbuchezhiyan, G. , “Effects of Silicon Carbide and Tungsten Carbide in Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites,” Silicon 1-8, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s12633-018-0051-6.
- Kannan, V., Radhakrishnan, R., and Palaniyandi, K. , “A Review on Conventional and Laser Assisted Machining of Aluminium Based Metal Matrix Composites,” Engineering Review 34(2):75-84, 2014. https://hrcak.srce.hr/122367.
- Natarajan, N., Vijayarangan, S., and Rajendran, I. , “Wear Behaviour of A356/25SiCp Aluminium Matrix Composites Sliding against Automobile Friction Material,” Wear 261(7-8):812-822, 2006, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2006.01.011.
- Purohit, R. and Sagar, R. , “Fabrication and Testing of Al-SiC p Composite Poppet Valve Guides,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 51(5-8):685-698, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-010-2637-z.
- Karamış, M.B., Cerit, A.A., Selçuk, B., and Nair, F. , “The Effects of Different Ceramics Size and Volume Fraction on Wear Behavior of Al Matrix Composites (for automobile cam material),” Wear 289:73-81, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2012.04.012.
- El-Labban, H.F., Abdelaziz, M., and Mahmoud, E.R. , “Preparation and Characterization of Squeeze Cast-Al-Si Piston Alloy Reinforced by Ni and Nano-Al2O3 Particles,” Journal of King Saud University-Engineering Sciences 28(2):230-239, 2016, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jksues.2014.04.002.
- Babu, K.V., Jappes, J.W., Rajan, T., and Uthayakumar, M. , “Dry Sliding Wear Studies on SiC Reinforced Functionally Graded Aluminium Matrix Composites,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part L: Journal of Materials Design and Applications 230(1):182-189, 2016, doi:https://doi.org/10.1177/1464420714556665.
- laneme, K.K., Ademilua, B.O., and Bodunrin, M.O. , “Mechanical Properties and Corrosion Behaviour of Aluminium Hybrid Composites Reinforced with Silicon Carbide and Bamboo Leaf Ash,” Tribology in Industry 35(1):25-35, 2013.
- Gireesh, C.H., Prasad, K.D., Ramji, K., and Vinay, P.V. , “Mechanical Characterization of Aluminium Metal Matrix Composite Reinforced with Aloe Vera Powder,” Materials Today: Proceedings 5(2):3289-3297, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2017.11.571.
- Şenel, M.C., Gürbüz, M., and Koç, E. , “Fabrication and Characterization of Synergistic Al-SiC-GNPs Hybrid Composites,” Composites Part B: Engineering 154:1-9, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2018.07.035.
- Choi, B.K., Yoon, G.H., and Lee, S. , “Molecular Dynamics Studies of CNT-Reinforced Aluminum Composites under Uniaxial Tensile Loading,” Composites Part B: Engineering 91:119-125, 2016, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2015.12.031.
- Dwivedi, S.P., Sharma, S., and Mishra, R.K. , “A Comparative Study of Waste Eggshells, CaCO3, and SiC-reinforced AA2014 Green Metal Matrix Composites,” Journal of Composite Materials 51(7):2407-2421, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998316672295.
- Mistry, J.M. and Gohil, P.P. , “Experimental Investigations on Wear and Friction Behaviour of Si3N4p Reinforced Heat-Treated Aluminium Matrix Composites Produced Using Electromagnetic Stir Casting Process,” Composites Part B: Engineering 161:190-204, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2018.10.074.
- Casati, R. and Vedani, M. , “Metal Matrix Composites Reinforced by Nano-Particles-A Review,” Metals 4(1):65-83, 2014, doi:https://doi.org/10.3390/met4010065.
- Suresh, S., Gowd, G.H., and Kumar, M.D. , “Experimental Investigation on Mechanical Properties of Al 7075/Al2O3/Mg NMMC’s by Stir Casting Method,” Sādhanā 44(2):51, 2019 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12046-018-1021-9.
- Suresh, S., Gowd, G.H., and Kumar, M.D. , “Mechanical Properties of AA 7075/Al 2 O 3/SiC Nano-Metal Matrix Composites by Stir-Casting Method,” Journal of the Institution of Engineers (India): Series D 100(1):43-53, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s40033-019-00178-1.
- Kok, M. , “Production and Mechanical Properties of Al2O3 Particle-Reinforced 2024 Aluminium Alloy Composites,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 161(3):381-387, 2005, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2004.07.068.
- Dhanalakshmi, S., Mohanasundararaju, N., and enkatakrishnan, P.G. , “Preparation and Mechanical Characterization of Stir Cast Hybrid Al7075-Al2O3-B4C Metal Matrix Composites,” Applied Mechanics and Materials, 592:705-710. Trans Tech Publications, 2014. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.592-594.705.
- Pitchayyapillai, G., Seenikannan, P., Raja, K., and Chandrasekaran, K. , “Al6061 Hybrid Metal Matrix Composite Reinforced with Alumina and Molybdenum Disulphide,” Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/6127624.
- Kaczmar, J.W., Naplocha, K., and Morgiel, J. , “Microstructure and Strength of Al2O3 and Carbon Fiber Reinforced 2024 Aluminum Alloy Composites,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 23(8):2801-2808, 2014, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s11665-014-1036-2.
- Rao, R.N. and Das, S. , “Effect of Matrix Alloy and Influence of SiC Particle on the Sliding Wear Characteristics of Aluminium Alloy Composites,” Materials & Design 31(3):1200-1207, 2010, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.09.032.
- Rebba, B. and Ramanaiah, N. , “Evaluation of Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloy (Al-2024) Reinforced with Molybdenum Disulphide (MOS2) Metal Matrix Composites,” Procedia Materials Science 6:1161-1169, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mspro.2014.07.189.
- Rebba, B. and Ramanaiah, N. , “Investigations on Mechanical Behaviour of B4C and MoS2 Reinforced AA2024 Hybrid Composites,” Journal for Manufacturing Science and Production 15(4):339-343, 2015.
- Suresh, S., Gowd, G.H., and Kumar, M.D. , “Experimental Investigation on Mechanical Properties of Al 7075/Al2O3/Mg NMMC’s by Stir Casting Method,” Sādhanā 44(2):51, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s12046-018-1021-9.
- Ghoreishi, R., Roohi, A.H., and Ghadikolaei, A.D. , “Evaluation of Tool Wear in High-Speed Face Milling of Al/SiC Metal Matrix Composites,” Journal of the Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering 41(3):146, 2019, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s40430-019-1649-3.
- Basavarajappa, S. and Davim, J.P. , “Influence of Graphite Particles on Surface Roughness and Chip Formation Studies in Turning Metal Matrix Composites,” Materials Research 16(5):990-996, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1516-14392013005000098.
- Manna, A. and Bhattacharayya, B. , “A Study on Machinability of Al/SiC-MMC,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 140(1-3):711-716, 2003, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(03)00905-1.
- Bhushan, R.K., Kumar, S., and Das, S. , “Effect of Machining Parameters on Surface Roughness and Tool Wear for 7075 Al Alloy SiC Composite,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 50(5-8):459-469, 2010, doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-010-2529-2.
- Krishnamurthy, L., Sridhara, B.K., and Budan, D.A. , “Comparative Study on the Machinability Aspects of Aluminium Silicon Carbide and Aluminium Graphite Composites,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes 22(7-8):903-908, 2007, doi:https://doi.org/10.1080/10426910701451754.
- Kannan, C., Ramanujam, R., and Balan, A.,.S.,.S. , “Machinability Studies on Al 7075/BN/Al2O3 Squeeze Cast Hybrid Nanocomposite under Different Machining Environments,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes 33(5):587-595, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2017.1401718.
- Sahoo, A.K. and Pradhan, S. , “Modeling and Optimization of Al/SiCp MMC Machining Using Taguchi Approach,” Meas J Int Meas Confed 46:3064-3072, 2013, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2013.06.001.
- Rajmohan, T., Palanikumar, K., and Kathirvel, M. , “Optimization of Machining Parameters in Drilling Hybrid Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites,” Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China 22(6):1286-1297, 2012, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(11)61317-4.
- Bhushan, R.K. , “Multiresponse Optimization of Al Alloy-SiC Composite Machining Parameters for Minimum Tool Wear and Maximum Metal Removal Rate,” Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 135(2):021013, 2013, doi:https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4023454.
- Kumar, N.S., Shankar, G.S., Basavarajappa, S., and Suresh, R. , “Some Studies on Mechanical and Machining Characteristics of Al2219/nB4C/MoS2 Nano-Hybrid Metal Matrix Composites,” Measurement 107:1-11, 2017, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2017.05.003.
- Kannan, V. and Kannan, V.V. , “A Study on the Turning Characteristics and Optimization of MOS 2 p and SiCp-Reinforced Al-Si10Mg Metal Matrix Composites,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-28-0043, 2018, doi:https://doi.org/10.4271/2018-28-0043.
- Derringer, G. and Suich, R. , “Simultaneous Optimization of Several Response Variables,” Journal of Quality Technology 12(4):214-219, 1980, doi:https://doi.org/10.1080/00224065.1980.11980968.