This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Areca and Tamarind Fiber Reinforced Hybrid Polymer Composites for Structural Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Recently, owing to the noteworthy properties like biodegradable, low cost, readily available, easy processing, less toxic and eco-friendly nature natural fibers reinforced composites are used in different engineering applications. Nevertheless, the traditionally used synthetic E-glass fiber composite shows inverse features than that of reported natural fiber composites. Hence, in the current investigation discarded areca and tamarind fibers was collected, extracted and characterized for its overall performance and to implement it as a better alternative for artificial fiber composites. Composite coupons were made with different magnitudes of fiber/matrix and inspected for their potentiality by exploring its mechanical and thermal assets as per standard techniques. The developed areca and tamarind hybrid composite results shown better part than their individual composites and also in par with the prevailing synthetic fiber products. Hence, the tested results shown that the fabricated hybrid composites exhibits better specific properties and ensures its potentiality for aerospace and automotive applications.
CitationJoseph Selvi, B., Natarajan, M., and Palampalle, B., "Characterization of Areca and Tamarind Fiber Reinforced Hybrid Polymer Composites for Structural Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0168, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0168.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Thakur, V.K. and Singha, A.S. , “Physico-Chemical and Mechanical Characterization of Natural Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites,” Iranian Polymer Journal 19(1):3-16, 2010.
- Swamy, R.P., Mohan Kumar, G.C., and Vrushabhendrappa, Y. , “Study of Areca-Reinforced Phenol Formaldehyde Composites,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites 23:1373-1382, 2004.
- Fornasieri, M., Alves, J.W., Muniz, E.C., Ruvolo-Filho, A. et al. , “Synthesis and Characterization of Polyurethane Composites of Wood Waste and Polyols from Chemically Recycled Pet,” Composites: Part A 42:189-195, 2011.
- Jayaramudu, J., Guduri, B.R., and Varada Rajulu, A. , “Characterization of New Natural Cellulosic Fabric Grewia Tilifolia,” Carbohydrate Polymers 79:847-851, 2010.
- Uma Maheswari, C., Obi Reddy, K., Muzenda, E., Guduri, B.R., and Varada Rajulu, A. , “Extraction and Characterization of Cellulose Microfibrils from Agricultural Residue-Cocos Nucifera L,” Biomass and Bioenergy 1-9, 2012.
- Ben Sghaier, A.E.O., Chaabouni, Y., Msahli, S., and Sakli, F. , “Morphological and Crystalline Characterization of NAOH and NAOCL Treated Agave Americana L. Fiber,” Industrial Crops and Products 36:257-266, 2012.
- Sreenivasan, V.S., Somasundaram, S., Ravindran, D., Manikandan, V., and Narayanasamy, R. , “Microstructural, Physico-Chemical and Mechanical Characterization of Sansevieria Cylindrica Fibers-an Exploratory Investigation,” Materials and Design 32:453-461, 2011.
- Mazhari Mousavi, S.M., Hosseini, S.Z., Resalati, H., Mahdavi, S., and Rasooly Garmaroody, E. , “Papermaking Potential of Rapeseed Straw, a New Agricultural-Based Fiber Source,” Journal of Cleaner Production 52:420-424, 2013.
- Boopathi, L., Sampath, P.S., and Mylsamy, K. , “Investigation of Physical, Chemical and Mechanical Properties of Raw and Alkali Treated Borassus Fruit Fiber,” Composites: Part B 43:3044-3052, 2012.
- Alawar, A., Hamed, A.M., and Al-Kaabi, K. , “Characterization of Treated Date Palm Tree Fiber as Composite Reinforcement,” Composites: Part B 40:601-606, 2009.
- Coskuner, Y. and Karababa, E. , “Physical Properties of Coriander Seeds (Coriandrum Sativum L.),” Journal of Food Engineering 80:408-416, 2007.
- Padmaraj, N.H., Vijay Kini, M., Raghuvir Pai, B., and Satish Shenoy, B. , “Development of Short Areca Fiber Reinforced Biodegradable Composite Material,” Procedia Engineering 64:966-972, 2013.
- Chakrabarty, J., Masudul Hassan, M., and Khan, M.A. , “Effect of Surface Treatment on Betel Nut (Areca Catechu) Fiber in Polypropylene Composite,” J Polym Environ. 20:501-506, 2012.
- Sampathkumar, D., Punyamurthy, R., Bennehalli, B., and Venkateshappa, S.C. , “Effect of Esterification on Moisture Absorption of Single Areca Fiber,” International Journal of Agriculture Sciences 4:227-229, 2012.
- Indran, S. and Edwin Raj, R. , “Characterization of New Natural Cellulosic Fiber from Cissus Quadrangularis Stem,” Carbohydrate Polymers 117:392-399, 2015.
- Binoj, J.S., Edwin Raj, R., Sreenivasan, V.S., and Rexin Thusnavis, G. , “Morphological, Physical, Mechanical, Chemical and Thermal Characterization of Sustainable Indian Areca Fruit Husk Fibers (Areca Catechu L.) as Potential Alternate for Hazardous Synthetic Fibers,” Journal of Bionic Engineering 13:156-165, 2016.
- Binoj, J.S., Edwin Raj, R., Daniel, B.S.S., and Saravanakumar, S.S. , “Optimization of Short Indian Areca Fruit Husk Fiber (Areca Catechu L.)-Reinforced Polymer Composites for Maximizing Mechanical Properties,” International Journal of Polymer Analysis and Characterization 21:112-122, 2016.
- Ku, H., Wang, H., Pattarachaiyakoop, N., and Trada, M. , “A Review on the Tensile Properties of Natural Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites,” Composites: Part B 42:856-873, 2011.
- Omar Faruka, K., Andrzej, H.-P.F., and Sain, M. , “Biocomposites Reinforced with Natural Fibers: 2000-2010,” Progress in Polymer Science 37:1552-1596, 2012.
- Indran, S., Edwin Raj, R., and Sreenivasan, V.S. , “Characterization of New Natural Cellulosic Fiber from Cissus Quadrangularis Root,” Carbohydrate Polymers 110:423-429, 2014.
- David, B. and Hota, V.S. , “Critical Review of Recent Publications on Use of Natural Composites in Infrastructure,” Composites: Part A 43:1419-1429, 2012.
- Pacheco-Torgal, F. and Jalali, S. , “Cementitious Building Materials Reinforced with Vegetable Fibres: A Review,” Construction and Building Materials 25:575-581, 2011.