This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electronic Travelling Kit for Navigation of Visually Challenged Individuals
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Navigation of visually challenged persons is found tough, as they frequently do not get the essential details for escaping the perils and risk they come across when they want to reach a destination. Modernization of the world leads to the usage of technologically equipped devices to make compact and cost-effective setup. In order to help the visually impaired person to navigate securely swiftly an impediment identification system employing techno equipment such as Ultrasonic Sensors (US) and Universal Serial camera-based visual navigation system is proposed. The proposed framework identifies obstruction via the US and transmits audio signals as feedback to guide the individual about the location to be reached. Moreover, for capturing the location where the person has to move a universal serial bus (USB) webcam is employed. USB webcam is also deployed to distinguish between a human and an obstacle. In order to identify the persons well known to the visually challenged and also the presence of other human movements a face recognition system using image processing is adopted in the proposed system. The General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) aids in giving the directions and the current location of the person with the Google map voice command. Bluetooth low energy (BLE) and Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology are being used for indoor navigation. Bluetooth beacons are used to trace the user exact location and the user is also guided to reach the destination by placing RFID tags at different sites. A cost-effective electronic traveling aid using voice and GPRS support is proposed.
CitationRathinam, R., Dayalan, S., and Mathews, H., "Electronic Travelling Kit for Navigation of Visually Challenged Individuals," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0162, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0162.
- Gangwar , S. et al. A Smart Infrared Microcontroller-Based Blind Guidance System Hindawi Transactions on Active and Passive Electronic Components 3 2 1 7 June 2013
- Lakde , C.K. and Prasad , P.S. Review Paper on Navigation System for Visually Impaired People International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering 4 1 January 2015
- Chaccour , K. and Badr , G. Computer Vision Guidance System for Indoor Navigation of Visually Impaired People International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering 4 1 2015
- Valls Mataro , T. , Masulli , F. , Rovetta , S. , Cabri , A. et al. An Assistive Mobile System Supporting Blind and Visual Impaired People when are Outdoor IEEE 3rd International Forum on Research and Technologies for Society and Industry (RTSI) 2017
- Gorovyi , I. , Roenko , A. , and IT-Jim , K. Real-Time System for Indoor User Localization and Navigation Using Bluetooth Beacons IEEE First Ukraine Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (UKRCON) 2017
- Rahul Raj , C. , SeshuBabu , P. QR Code Based Navigation System for Closed Building Using Smart Phones International Mutli-Conference on Automation, Computing, Communication, Control and Compressed Sensing, IEEE 2013
- Kulkarni , A. , Wang , A. , Urbina , L. , Steinfeld , A. , Bernardine Robotic Assistance in Indoor Navigation for People Who are Blind Dias Robotics Institute Swanson School of Engineering 2017
- Tandon , K. , Pande , T. , Adil , M. , Dubey , G. , and Kumar , A. A Blind Navigation System Using RFID for Indoor Environments International Journal of Computer Systems 2 2015 2394-1065
- Kumar , A. , Patra , R. , Mahadevappa , M. , Mukhopadhyay , J. , and Majumdar , A.K. An Embedded System for Aiding Navigation of Visually Impaired Persons Current Science 104 3 2013
- Lin , Y.-W. and Lin , C.-Y. An Interactive Real-Time Locating System Based on Bluetooth Low-Energy Beacon Network Sensors 2018
- Zafar , F. , Gkelias , A. , and Leung , K.K. A Survey of Indoor Localization Systems and Technologies IEEE 2019
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola%E2%80%93Jones_object_detection_framework#cite _ref-5
- http://www.furuno.com/en/gnss/technical/tec what GPS
- Surve , M. , Tambe , P. , Walke , S. , and Mane , P. Blind Navigation System Using Image Processing and Embedded System International Journal of Electrical, Electronics and Computer Systems 2016
- Neto , L.B. , Grijalva , F. , Maike , V.R.M.L. , Martini , L.C. et al. A Kinect-Based Wearable Face Recognition System to Aid Visually-Impaired Users IEEE Transaction Human Machine system 2016