This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on the Development of an Effective Framework for Implementation and Sustenance of an Obsolescence Material Management System in an Aerospace Supplier Manufacturing Industry Environment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Obsolescence Material management plays an important and vital role in today’s modern Aerospace manufacturing, Aerospace Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul industry as well as Aerospace Distributors. Aerospace vehicles have a considerable longer product life-cycle when compared to any other consumer goods like automobile and electronics industry. With the advent of new, disruptive technologies, many sources and supplies of materials including COTS and Standard catalogue parts, components and goods, which are widely used in an Aerospace manufacturing environment, are diminishing at a considerable rate and thus result in their obsolescence before the end disposal of the product life cycle. It is one of the leading causes to the sale of counterfeit and fraudulent parts and components, which can result in considerable deterioration of Quality and Cost to Customer. This technical paper emphasizes on the need for implementation of an effective Obsolescence management framework which an Aerospace company can follow through defining, deploying and sustaining Obsolescence Management through Policy, Procedures, Process and People methodology to be followed at manufacturing, maintenance and to identify proactively, notify and mitigate the risk of Obsolescence of Products on a periodic basis. This framework can be utilized in avoiding purchase, stock and re-sale of counterfeit and fraudulent parts and components.
CitationRajamani, M. and Punna, E., "A Study on the Development of an Effective Framework for Implementation and Sustenance of an Obsolescence Material Management System in an Aerospace Supplier Manufacturing Industry Environment," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0145, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0145.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Aerospace and Defence Product & Services Guide, Aerospace Industries Association, http://aia.officialbuyersguide.net
- Industrial Aerospace Resource, http://industrialaerospaceresource.com
- ASD-CERT , Certification of Aerospace Products to International Quality Standards, https://asd-cert.org/pq-certificates/
- SAE ITC Engine and Airframe Standards, http://eatsc.saeitc.org/standards/
- IHS MARKIT Standards Store, Standard Alerts, https://global.ihs.com/index.cfm?&rid=STDSALERT&mid=PC8289&index_home=true
- National Aerospace Standards , Aerospace Industries Association, http://www.aia-aerospace.org/standards/
- Aircraft Materials, http://www.aircraftmaterials.com/data/alstst/alstst.html
- SAE International, Standards Collections, https://www.sae.org/standards/
- PRI Eauditnet Qualified Product Listings, https://www.eauditnet.com/eauditnet/ean/qpl/qplSearch.htm
- Boeing Material Specification Qualified Product List, The Boeing Company, http://www.boeingsuppliers.com/tcmdhs/hms.pdf
- AkzoNobel Paints and Coatings, Aerospace Coatings, Product Guide, http://www.anac.com/products/product-search-by-specification#/
- USA DoD Qualified Products Database, ,http://qpldocs.dla.mil/search/default.aspx
- Everyspec, Specifications, Standards, Handbooks and Mil-Spec documents, www.everyspec.com
- International Aerospace Quality Group , Online Aerospace Supplier Information System, https://www.sae.org/?PORTAL_CODE=IAQG
- ASD Companies, Aerospace and Defence Companies Database, http://www.asdsource.com
- AerospaceSuppliers.com, http://www.aerospacesuppliers.com
- Boeing Approved Process Sources D1-4426, http://active.boeing.com/doingbiz/d14426/ProcessIndex.cfm
- DEFENSE LOGISTICS AGENCY , DLA Land and Maritime, Qualified Manufacturers List (QML) / Qualified Product List (QPL), http://www.landandmaritime.dla.mil/programs/qmlqpl/
- Sandborn, P. , “Strategic Management of DMSMS in Systems,” DSP Journal 24-30, April/June 2008.
- TechAmerica , “Standard for Preparing a DMSMS Management Plan,” GEIA-STD-0016, TechAmerica (Formerly GEIA), August 2011.
- United.States Department of Defense , “Diminishing Manufacturing Sources and Material Shortages (DMSMS) Guidebook,” SD-22, September 1, 2010.
- SAE Standard AS6174A - Counterfeit Materiel; Assuring Acquisition of Authentic and Conforming Materiel
- US Tooling Catalogue , http://www.ustool.com
- Yard Store Online Catalogue, http://www.yardstore.com
- REACH, http://echa.europa.eu/candidate-list-table
- Airbus Approved Supplier List, https://www.airbus.com/be-an-airbus-supplier.html
- ASA-100 Companies, https://www.aviationsuppliers.org/ASA-100-Accredited-Companies