This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improvement of Mechanical Properties, and Optimization of Process Parameters of AISI 1050 Spheriodized Annealed Steel by Ranking Algorithm
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
AISI 1050 is used in the production of landing gear, actuators and other aerospace components but their application is limited due to machinability of the material. In any metal cutting operation the features of tools, input work materials, machine parameter settings will influence the process efficiency and output quality characteristics. A significant improvement in process efficiency may be obtained by process parameter optimization that identifies and determines the regions of critical process control factors leading to desired outputs or responses with acceptable variations ensuring a lower cost of manufacturing. This experimental study elucidates the problems and machinability issues like failure of tools and accuracy are found while machining and less output in machining. In the present study of spherodizing heat treatment of AISI 1050 was investigated during the turning operation in CNC lathe, under the consideration of several turning process parameters. The microstructures of the as-received, and heated specimens were investigated by Optical Microscopy (OM). A correlation between various process parameters on the desired response namely surface finish, roundness Material Removal Rate (MRR), power consumption and tool wear were ranked and analyzed by ANOVA method for finding the optimized settings. The predicted results were found to be in good agreement with the experimental values.
- Ganesh Babu Loganathan - Tishk International University
- Durai Kumaran - SRM Institute of Science and Technology
- Sundar Singh Sivam Sundarlingam Paramasivam - SRM Institute of Science and Technology
- Krishnaswamy Saravanan - SRM Institute of Science and Technology
- Raj Rajendran - SRM Institute of Science and Technology
CitationLoganathan, G., Kumaran, D., Sivam Sundarlingam Paramasivam, S., Saravanan, K. et al., "Improvement of Mechanical Properties, and Optimization of Process Parameters of AISI 1050 Spheriodized Annealed Steel by Ranking Algorithm," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0143, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0143.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 13]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 14]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 15]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 16]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 17]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 18]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 19]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 20]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 21]|
- So, H., Fasmann, D., Hoffmann, H., Golle, R., and Schaper, M. , “An Investigation of the Blanking Process of the Quenchable Boron Alloyed Steel 22MnB5 before and after Hot Stamping Process,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 212:437-449, 2012.
- Naderi, M., Uthaisangsuk, V., Prahl, U., and Bleck, W. , “A Numerical and Experimental Investigation into Hot Stamping of Boron Alloyed Heat Treated Steels,” Steel Research Int. 79(2), 2008.
- Aziz, N. and Aqida, S.N. , “Optimization of Quenching Process in Hot Press Forming of 22MnB5 Steel for High Strength Properties,” Materials Science and Engineering 50, 2013.
- Hu, P., Shi, D., Ying, L., Shen, G., and Liu, W. , “The Finite Element Analysis of Ductile Damage during Hot Stamping of 22MnB5 Steel,” Materials and Design 69:141-152, 2015.
- Kaijalainen, A.J., Suikkanen, P., Karjalainen, L.P., and Jonas, J.J. , “Effect of Austenite Pancaking on the Microstructure, Texture, and Bendability of an Ultrahigh-Strength Strip Steel,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 45(3):1273-1283, 2014.
- Zhao, X.-L. , “Section Capacity of Very High Strength (VHS) Circular Tubes under Compression,” ThinWalled Structures 37(3):223-240, 2000.
- Wang, G., Yan, Y., Li, J., Huang, J. et al. , “Hydrogen Embrittlement Assessment of Ultra-High Strength Steel 30CrMnSiNi 2,” Corrosion Science 77:273-280, 2013.
- Branagan, D., Frerichs, A., Meacham, B., Ma, L. et al. , “New Mechanisms, Enabling Structures, and Advanced Properties Resulting in a New Class of 3rd Generation AHSS Sheet,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0989, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0989.
- Chang, L. and Bhadeshia, H. , “Carbon Content of Austenite in Isothermally Transformed 300M Steel,” Materials Science and Engineering: A 184(1):L17-L19, 1994.
- Sirin, S.Y., Sirin, K., and Kaluc, E. , “Effect of the Ion Nitriding Surface Hardening Process on Fatigue Behavior of AISI 4340 Steel,” Materials Characterization 59(4):351-358, 2008.
- Yang, G., Sun, X., Li, Z., Li, X., and Yong, Q. , “Effects of Vanadium on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of a High Strength Low Alloy Martensite Steel,” Materials & Design 50:102-107, 2013.
- Bhadeshia H.K.D.H. , Bainite in Steels: Inst. of Metals, 1992.
- Zhang, S., Li, M., Liu, Y., Luo, J., and Liu, T. , “The Growth Behavior of Austenite Grain in the Heating Process of 300M Steel,” Materials Science and Engineering: A 528(15):4967-4972, 2011.
- Sivam, S., Sundar Singh, S.P. et al. , “Multi Response Optimization of Setting Input Variables for Getting Better Product Quality in Machining of Magnesium AM60 by Grey Relation Analysis and ANOVA,” Periodica Polytechnica Mechanical Engineering, [S.l.], 2017. ISSN 1587-379X. https://doi.org/10.3311/PPme.11034
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Gopal, M., Venkatasamy, S., and Singh, S. , “An Experimental Investigation and Optimisation of Ecological Machining Parameters on Aluminium 6063 in Its Annealed And Unannealed Form,” Journal Of Chemical And Pharmaceutical Sciences 46-53, 2015.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Gopal M., Venkatasamy S., and Singh Siddhartha , “Application of Forming Limit Diagram and Yield Surface Diagram to Study Anisotropic Mechanical Properties of Annealed and Unannealed SPRC 440E Steels,” Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2015: (15-22, ISSN: 0974-2115.
- Sundar Singh Sivam, S.P., Kumar, A.L., Moorthy, K.S., and Rajendrakumar , “Investigation Exploration Outcome of Heat Treatment on Corrosion Resistance of AA 5083 in Marine Application,” Journal of Science and Technology .14(S2): 2016, 453-460. ISSN 0972-768X.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Umasekar, V.G., Mishra, A., Mishra, S., and Mondal, A. , “Orbital Cold Forming Technology - Combining High Quality Forming with Cost Effectiveness - A Review,” Indian Journal of Science and Technology 9(38), October 2016, doi:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i38/91426.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., UmaSekar, V.G., Saravanan, K., RajendraKumar, S. et al. , “Frequently Used Anisotropic Yield Criteria for Sheet Metal Applications: A Review,” Indian Journal of Science and Technology 9(47), December 2016b, doi:10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i1/92107.
- Sundar Singh Sivam, S.P., Rajasekaran, A., RajendraKumar, S., SathiyaMoorthy, K., and Gopal, M. , “A Study of Cooling Time, Copper Reduction and Effects of Alloying Elements on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of SG Iron Casting During Machining,” Australian Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 2019, doi:10.1080/14484846.2018.1560679.
- Sundar Singh Sivam S.P., Kumaran Durai, Saravanan Krishnaswamy, Umasekar Venugopal Guruswamy, Rajendrakumar Sankarapandian, Moorthy Karuppiah Sathiya (2018) "Thickness Distribution And Numerical Modelling Of Conventional Superplastic Forming In Aa2024 Alloy", International Journal of Modern Manufacturing Technologies, X2. ISSN 2067-3604,76,85.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Loganathan, G.B., Umasekar, V.G., Suresh Kumar, P.S., and Raja, S. , “Study on Micro Structural Characteristics and Mechanical Behaviour of AISI1050 Steel under Various Heat Treatments,” Int. J. Vehicle Structures & Systems 11(1):15-20, 2019, doi:10.4273/ijvss.11.1.04.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Loganathan, G.B., Saravanan, K., Umasekar, V.G., and Rameez, T.P.M. , “Optimization of Passenger Car Door Impact Beam using Quasi Static CAE Analysis,” Int. J. Vehicle Structures & Systems 11(1):21-26, 2019, doi:10.4273/ijvss.11.1.05.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Saravanan, K., Loganathan, G.B., Kumaran, D., and Rajendrakumar, S. , “Root Cause Analysis for Failure of Door Lock Case Assembly during Caulking Process,” Int. J. Vehicle Structures & Systems 11(1):11-14, 2019, doi:10.4273/ijvss.11.1.03.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Loganathan, G.B., Saravanan, K., Umasekar, V.G., and Rajendrakumar, S. , “Numerical Evaluation and Influence of Product Quality and its Defects Measures on the Drawing of Stainless Steel Cross Member for Automobiles,” Int. J. Vehicle Structures & Systems 11(1):107-112, 2019, doi:10.4273/ijvss.11.1.19.
- Sundar Singh Sivam, S.P., Loganathan, G.B., Saravanan, K. et al. , “Experimental Study and Ignition Fire Risk Mapping on Friction Stir Welding Parameters of Dissimilar Alloys for the Benefits of Environment,” Materials Today: Proceedings. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2019.06.652.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Umasekar, V.G., Loganathan, G.B., Kumaran, D., and Rajendrakumar, S. , “Multi Response Optimization of Setting Process Variables in Face Milling of ZE41 Magnesium Alloy using Ranking Algorithms and ANOVA,” Int. J. Vehicle Structures & Systems 11(1):47-56, 2019, doi:10.4273/ijvss.11.1.10.