This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparative Study on Microstructures and Mechanical Properties of Al-GNPs Composites Fabricated by Casting Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
This paper describes an investigation on microstructures as well as mechanical properties of pure aluminium graphene nano platelets (GNPs) metal matrix composites prepared via novel based stir casting technique combined with ultrasonic treatment. The proportion of graphene changes from 0.5 to 2.0 wt. % in aluminium with 99% purity. The investigations on composites revealed that Al with combination of 1.0 % graphene composite showcased enhanced mechanical properties with 48.49 % (~49%) increase in tensile strength and 34.53 % (~35%) increase in micro hardness compared to test results of composites produced by traditional stir casting technique. FESEM analysis was done to examine the surface morphology of produced composite and fracture surface of tested composites where as XRD analysis was to inspect the phase analysis of produced composites. It reveals that, through cavitational effect there was a uniform distribution of graphene in aluminium matrix and composites were casted with less porosity due to which there is significant enhancement in mechanical properties compare to composites produced by stir casting technique
CitationPalampalle, B., Chinna, K., and Selvi, B., "A Comparative Study on Microstructures and Mechanical Properties of Al-GNPs Composites Fabricated by Casting Method," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0139, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0139.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Li, N. et al. , “Preparation and Mechanical Property of Electrodeposited Al-Grapheme Composite Coating,” Materials and Design 111:522-527, 2016.
- Bhanu Prakash, P. et al. , “Microstructure Analysis and Evaluation of Mechanical Properties of Al7075 GNPs Composites,” Materials Today: Proceedings 5:14281-14291, 2018.
- Rashad, M. et al. , “Investigation on Micro Structural, Mechanical and Electro Chemical Properties of Aluminium Composites Reinforced with Grapheme Nano Platelets,” Progress in Natural Science: Materials International 25:460-470, 2015.
- XinGao, et.al., “Preparation and Tensile Properties of Homogeneously Dispersed Grapheme Reinforced Aluminium Matrix Composites,” S0264-1275(16)30035-1.
- Bartolucci, S.F. et al. , “Graphene-Aluminium Nano Composites,” Materials Science and Engineering- A 528:7933-7937, 2011.
- Kumar, K.R. et al. , “Micro Structural Characteristics and Mechanical Behavior of al Matrix Composites Reinforced with Titanium Carbide,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds 8388(17):32317-32314, 2017.
- Yolshina, L.A. et al. , “Enhancement of the Mechanical Properties of Aluminium-Graphene Composites,” American Institute of Physics 1785(040093), 2016.
- Venkatesan, S. et al. , “Mechanical Behavior of Aluminium Metal Matrix Composite Reinforced with Graphene Particulate by Stir Casting Method,” Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences 0974-2115, 2017.
- Mohanavel, V. et al. , “Mechanical Behavior of Hybrid Composite (AA6351+Al2O3+gr) Fabricated by Stir Casting Method,” Materials Today: Proceedings 4:3093-3101, 2017.
- Vedrtnam, A. et.al , “Fabrication and Wear Characterization of Sic and Copper Reinforced Aluminium Metal Composite,” Materials Discovery, 9245(17)30039-X, 2018.
- Bhaskar et al. , “Fabrication and Characterization of Al2O3/Aluminium Alloy 6061 Composites Fabricated by Stir Casting,” Materials Today: Proceedings 4:2783-2792, 2017.
- Matin, A. et al. , “Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of mg/Sic and AZ80/Sic Nano Composites Fabricated through Stir Casting Method,” Materials Science & Engineering, AS0921-5093(14)01418, 2014.
- Singh, R. et al. , “Investigations for Dimensional Accuracy of Al Alloy/Al-MMC Developed by Combining Stir Casting and ABS Replica Based Investment Casting,” Composites Part B, 2016.
- Ulhas, K., Annigeri et al. , “Method of Stir Casting of Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites: A Review,” Materials Today: Proceedings 4:1140-1146, 2017.
- Wang, X.J. et al. , “Processing, Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Micro-Sic Particles Reinforced Magnesium Matrix Composites Fabricated by Stir Casting Assisted by Ultrasonic Treatment Processing,” Materials and Design 57:638-645, 2014.
- Murthy, N.V. et al. , “Dispersion of Alumina Nano Particles in Al 2219 Alloy by Ultrasonic Assisted Stir Casting Technique,” Materials Today: Proceedings 4:10113-10117, 2017.
- Gupta, R. et al. , “Ultrasonic Assisted Casting of Aluminium Matrix Composite,” International Journal of Applied Research in Mechanical Engineering (IJARME) 3(1), 2013, ISSN: 2231-5950.
- Kumar Kohli, D. et al. , “Influence of Ultrasonic Assisted Stir Casting on Mechanical Properties of Al6061-Nano Al2O3 Composites,” Materials Today: Proceedings 2:3017-3026, 2015.
- Aniruddha, V., Mulley et.al. , “Ultrasonic Probe Assisted Stir Casting Method for Metal Matrix Nano-Composite Manufacturing: An Innovative Method,” International Journal of Mechanical and Production Engineering. ISSN: 2320-2092.
- Ravi, K.R. et al. , “Ultrasonic-Assisted Synthesis of Graphite-Reinforced Al Matrix Nano Composites,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, ASM International 1059-9495.