This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of AlSi10Mg Alloy Produced by DMLS Process for Automotive Engine Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Considerable weight of an automobile is constituted by the engine and there is scope for improvement in fuel efficiency and emission control through optimization of weight in the engine. In this work, AlSi10Mg alloy produced by the direct metal laser sintering (DMLS) is suggested for engine application which is a lightweight aluminum alloy. Mechanical properties like tensile strength, compressive strength, and hardness of both cast and DMLS manufactured alloy are compared followed by analysis of SEM images of tensile test fractured surfaces. Reciprocating wear test is carried out for one lakh cycles at 125°C temperature with SAE 40 grade oil as lubricant. Co-efficient of friction (COF), wear rate of the cast and DMLS manufactured samples are compared. Wear patterns are analyzed using SEM images of the wear tracks.
|Technical Paper||Development of a Heat Resistant Cast Iron Alloy for Engine Exhaust Manifolds|
|Technical Paper||Impact of Oil Volatility in Extended Drain Service|
|Technical Paper||Influence of Lube Oil Filter Performance on Engine Wear in City Buses|
CitationArun, K., Aravindh, K., Raja, K., Naiju, C. et al., "Characterization of AlSi10Mg Alloy Produced by DMLS Process for Automotive Engine Application," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0134, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0134.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Joost, W.J. , “Reducing Vehicle Weight and Improving U.S. Energy Efficiency Using Integrated Computational Materials Engineering,” Jom 64:1032-1038, 2012, doi:10.1007/s11837-012-0424-z.
- Zervas , Efthimios, and Lazarou, C., “Influence of European Passenger Cars Weight to Exhaust CO2 Emissions,” Energy Policy 36:248-257, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2007.09.009.
- Frazier, W.E. , “Metal Additive Manufacturing: A Review,” Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 23:1917-1928, 2014, doi:10.1007/s11665-014-0958-z.
- Krishnan, M., Atzeni, E., Canali, R., Manfredi, D. et al., “Influence of Post-Processing Operations on Mechanical Properties of AlSi 10Mg Parts by DMLS,” High Value Manufacturing: Advanced Research in Virtual and Rapid Prototyping 243-248, 2013, doi:10.1201/b15961-46.
- Calignano, F., Manfredi, D., Ambrosio, E.P., Iuliano, L., and Fino, P., “Influence of Process Parameters on Surface Roughness of Aluminum Parts Produced by DMLS,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 67:2743-2751, 2012, doi:10.1007/s00170-012-4688-9.
- Brandl , Erhard, Heckenberger, U., Holzinger, V., and Buchbinder, D., “Additive Manufactured AlSi10Mg Samples Using Selective Laser Melting (SLM): Microstructure, High Cycle Fatigue, and Fracture Behavior,” Materials & Design 34:159-169, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.matdes.2011.07.067.
- Cabrini, M., Lorenzi, S., Pastore, T., Pellegrini, S. et al., “Effect of Heat Treatment on Corrosion Resistance of DMLS AlSi10Mg Alloy,” Electrochimica Acta 206:346-355, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.electacta.2016.04.157.
- Naiju, C.D., Adithan, M., and Radhakrishnan, P., “Evaluation of Fatigue Strength for the Reliability of Parts Produced by Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS),” International Journal of Rapid Manufacturing 1(4):377-389, 2010.
- Wang, Y., Brogan, K., and Tung, S.C., “Wear and Scuffing Characteristics of Composite Polymer and Nickel/Ceramic Composite Coated Piston Skirts against Aluminum and Cast Iron Cylinder Bores,” Wear 250:706-717, 2001, doi:10.1016/s0043-1648(01)00679-2.
- Radii, K. , “The Influence of Honing on the Wear of Ceramic Coated Piston Rings and Cylinder Liners,” NASA/TM-2000-209794.
- Naiju, C.D. and Anil, P.M., “Influence of Operating Parameters on the Reciprocating Sliding Wear of Direct Metal Deposition (DMD) Components Using Taguchi Method,” Procedia Engineering 174:1016-1027, 2017.
- Anil, P.M. and Naiju, C., “Influence of Coating Thickness and Operating Parameters on the Tribological Characteristics of Inconel 625 Components Fabricated Using DMD,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-28-1972, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-28-1972.
- Naiju, C.D., Anil, P.M., Arjun, M., and Joseph, K., “Investigations on the Influence of Operating Parameters on the Lubricated Wear of SLS Materials,” Materials Today: Proceedings 5(5):11319-11325, 2018.
- Atzeni, E., Barletta, M., Calignano, F., Iuliano, L. et al., “Abrasive Fluidized Bed (AFB) Finishing of AlSi10Mg Substrates Manufactured by Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS),” Additive Manufacturing 10:15-23, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.addma.2016.01.005.
- Manfredi, D., Calignano, F., Krishnan, M., Canali, R. et al., “From Powders to Dense Metal Parts: Characterization of a Commercial AlSiMg Alloy Processed through Direct Metal Laser Sintering,” Materials 6:856-869, 2013, doi:10.3390/ma6030856.