This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modulation Strategy for Minimization of Leakage Current in Grid-Connected PV Panels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
This paper presents a switching strategy for the cascaded multilevel H bridge inverter of five levels to reduce the leakage current in the grid-connected transformerless PV system. Minimization of the leakage current in solar panels is vital in transformerless grid-connected PV panels. But due to the absence of transformers which provide galvanic isolation, CMV techniques are applied to reduce leakage currents from PV panel to ground. This current causes hazards to humans and large currents above 300mA may lead to fire hazards. The proposed switching strategy reduces the continuous transients at switches, hence avoiding high frequency switching. This switching technique requires only a single modified carrier wave for all 2m+1 levels of operation. The sinusoidal carrier waveform is modified as a humped sinusoidal waveform with to reduce switching losses. In this paper, the switching strategy with the modified sinusoidal carrier has been incorporated to PV fed five level multilevel inverters connected to the grid and its effectiveness has been validated.
CitationDaniel, A., Rangarajan, U., and Nallathambi, K., "Modulation Strategy for Minimization of Leakage Current in Grid-Connected PV Panels," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0114, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0114.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Li, H., Zeng, Y., Zheng, B., Zheng, T.Q. et al. , “Improved H5 Topology with Low Common-Mode Current for Transformerless PV Grid-Connected Inverter,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 34(2):1254-1265, Feb 2019.
- Arrul Dhana Mathi, A. and Ramaprabha, R. , “Comparative Analysis of Grid Connected Transformerless Photovoltaic Inverters Leakage Current Minimisation,” Indian Journal of Science and Technology 11(23):1-8, June 2018.
- Messaoudi, H., Bennani Benabdelghani, A., and Bellaaj, N.M. , “High Performance Three Level ANPC Inverter with Thermal Balancing Strategy for Grid Connected PV System,” Internal Journal of Renewable Energy Research 8(4):2085-2095, Dec. 2018.
- Sonti, V., Dhara, S., Kukade, P., Jain, S. et al , “Analysis for the Minimization of Leakage and Common Mode Currents in Cascaded Half Bridge PV Fed Multilevel Inverter”, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Early access, doi:10.1109/JESTPE.2018.2887304.
- Ahmed, A., Sundar Manoharan, M., and Park, J.-H. , “An Efficient Single-Sourced Asymmetrical Cascaded Multilevel Inverter with Reduced Leakage Current Suitable for Single-Stage PV Systems,” IEEE Transactions On Energy Conversion 34(1):211-220, Mar 2019.
- Lopez, O., Teodorescu, R., Doval-Gandoy, J. , “Multilevel Transformerless Topologies for Single-Phase Grid-Connected Converters,” in IECON 2006-32nd Annual Conference on IEEE Industrial Electronics, 2006, 5191-5196.
- Jain, S. and Sont, V. , “A Highly Efficient and Reliable Inverter Configuration Based Cascaded Multilevel Inverter for PV Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 64(4):2865-2875, Apr 2017.
- Rojas, C.A., Aguirre, M., Kouro, S., Geyer, T. et al. , “Leakage Current Mitigation in Photovoltaic String Inverter Using Predictive Control with Fixed Average Switching Frequency,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics 64(12):9344-9354, Dec 2017.
- Xiao, H.F., Lan, K., and Zhang, L. , “A Quasi-Unipolar SPWM Full-Bridge Transformerless PV Grid-Connected Inverter with Constant Common Mode Voltage,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics 30(6):3122-3132, June 2015.
- Lopez, O., Teodorescu, R., Freijedo, F., Doval-Gandoy, J. , “Leakage Current Evaluation of a Single Phase Transformerless PV Inverter Connected to the Grid,” in 22nd Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronic Conference and Exposition, May 2007
- Bhattacharya, S., Frank, T.M., Divan, D.M., and Banerjee, B. , “Active Filter System Implementation,” IEEE Industry Magazine 4(5):47-63, Oct. 1998.