This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Analysis of Hybrid Metal Matrix Composite Connecting Rod via Stir/Squeeze Casting Route
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The connecting rod was manufactured by forging process for enhancing high tensile and compressive load so that it was followed by the machining process and suite the IC engine as a part of the component. The main intern of our proposed work is to manufacture a two set of composites specimen of A356 alloy with reinforcement of 5 wt.% silicon carbide and 10 wt.% flyash processed through two different techniques like stir casting and stir cum squeeze casting route and obtain better mechanical properties. Further, the same properties were taken for modeling and analysing of the developed connecting rod model. Due to the commercial demand, the hybrid composite materials take a vigorous role in the analysis part of the connecting rod model. The FEA analysis is done on the connecting rod for a180cc engine by using Ansys 18.1. The static analysis is done by considering four different cases by altering material library property. The output parameter such as total deformation, Von Mises stress, and maximum equivalent elastic strain are taken in each condition. The analysed results show that the material property of aluminium alloy A356 reinforced with 5% SiC and 10% flyash was cast under stir cum squeeze casting condition opt better results when compared with conventional stir casted connecting rod model and also the specimen of A356 alloy with reinforcement of 5 wt.% silicon carbide and 10 wt.% flyash under stir cum squeeze casting will have better material property.A356 reinforced with 5% SiC and 10% flyash will have better results and higher material property when compared with previous similar researchers. So this composites and process were recommended for manufacturing of connecting rod for automobile applications.
CitationRanganathan, S., Kuppuraj, S., Soundarrajan, K., and Perumal, A., "Design and Analysis of Hybrid Metal Matrix Composite Connecting Rod via Stir/Squeeze Casting Route," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0113, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0113.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- Nikhil, U.T., Bhusale, N.D., Rahul, P.S., and Mahesh, M.P. , “Finite Element Analysis of Connecting Rod using Ansys,” International Journal of Advances in Science Engineering and Technology 3(2):82-86, 2015.
- Witek, L. and Zelek, P. , “Stress and Failure Analysis of the Connecting Rod of a Diesel Engine,” Engineering Failure Analysis Elsevier 97:374-382, 2019.
- Lohan, N. and Nandal, S. , “Optimization and Cost Reduction by Finite Element Analysis of Connecting Rod Using Aluminum Composite,” International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Research Technology 3(10):17-24, 2014.
- Singh, R. , “Stress Analysis of Orthotropic and Isotropic Connecting Rod Using Finite Element Method,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering & Robotics Research 2(2):91-100, 2013.
- Anusha, B. and Vijaya Bhaskar Reddy, C. , “Modeling and Analysis of Two Wheeler Connecting Rod by Using Ansys,” IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering 6(5):83-87, 2013.
- Rajesh Prabha, N., Edwin Raja Dhas, J., and Ramanan, G. , “Finite Element Structural Analysis of Connecting Rod of AA7075-TiC Composite Using Ansys,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology 8(7):1102-1110, 2017.
- Fegade, V.T. and Bhole, K.S. , “Finite Element Analysis and Material Optimization for Equivalent Strength of Composite Connecting Rod,” SSRG International Journal of Mechanical Engineering 2(2):27-33, 2015.
- Anusha, B. and Vijaya Bhaskar Reddy, C. , “Comparision of Materials for Two-Wheeler Connecting Rod Using Ansys,” International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology 4(9):4178-4182, 2013.
- Kuldeep, B., Arun, L.R., and Faheem, M. , “Analysis and Optimization of Connecting Rod Using ALFASiC Composites,” International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology 2(6):2480-2487, 2013.
- Parkash, O., Gupta, V., and Mittal, V. , “Optimizing the Design of Connecting Rod under Static and Fatigue Loading,” International Journal of Research in Management, Science & Technology 1(1):39-43, 2013.
- Arshad Mohamed Gani, P. and Vinithra Banu, T. , “Design and Analysis of Metal Matrix Composite Connecting Rod,” International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science 3(2):672-684, 2015.
- Rakesh, N., Pandiyan, A., and Majeed, S. , “Fatigue Analysis of Composite Connecting Rod,” International Journal of Engineering Sciences & Research Technology 5(10):131-137, 2016.
- Shaari, M.S., Rahman, M.M., Noor, M.M., Kadirgama, K., and Amirruddin, A.K. , “Design of Connecting Rod of Internal Combustion Engine: A Topology Optimization Approach,” National Conference in Mechanical Engineering Research, 2010, 155-166.
- Kulkarni, S., Mishra, A., Arora, H., Singh, R. et al. , “Review of Stress Analysis of Connecting Rod using Finite Element Analysis,” Global Journal of Researches in Engineering: A Mechanical and Mechanics Engineering 14(3), 2014.
- Narasimha Murthy, I., Arun Babu, N., and Babu Rao, J. , “Microstructure and Mechanical properties of A356 alloy Castings made in Sand and Granulated Blast Furnace Slag Moulds,” Materials Today: Proceedings 5:161-167, 2018.
- Dwivedi, S.P., Sharma, S., and Mishra, R.K. , “Microstructure and Mechanical Behavior of A356/SiC/Fly-ash Hybrid Composites Produced by Electromagnetic Stir Casting,” The Brazilian Society of Mechanical Sciences and Engineering, 2014.