This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Development of a Semi Active Electromagnetic Suspension System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
This research paper includes the design and development of semi active suspension system using the permanent magnet, electromagnet and its control. The combination of permanent magnets is used to withstand static load of 20 kg. The controller is used to deploy the control logic and decide the supply of the required quantity of current to the electromagnets. There are two inputs given to the controller, one of them is air gap between upper magnets and lower magnets and second is the nature of the road profile in terms of amplitude of irregularity of the road. Based on the values of these two inputs the current supplied to the electromagnet is varied which results in variable damping force. The experimental setup for semi active suspension is developed. It includes a metallic roller fitted with irregularity similar to road profile, chain and sprocket connected to electric motor, whose magnitude is sensed and given as an input to the controller. Based on this input value, the current supplied is varied as per the predefined look-up table in the control module. The experiments are conducted at different speeds resulting in frequencies of up to 2.5 Hz and road uneven surface of amplitude at least 10 mm. The response of the damper is observed using the linear potentiometer detecting the difference in motion of lower and upper magnets of the setup. The experimental results show that a semi active suspension system with proper selection and combination of number of permanent magnets and electromagnets can be designed for damping the vibrations for lower frequency up to 2.5Hz and static load applications of up to 20 kg.
CitationAgrawal, P., Desai, A., Mallireddy, J., and Wani, K., "Design and Development of a Semi Active Electromagnetic Suspension System," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0110, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0110.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
|Unnamed Dataset 7|
|Unnamed Dataset 8|
- Choi , J.-Y. , Sung , S.-Y. , Seok-Myeong , J. , and Lee , S.-H. Design and Dynamic Analysis of Magnetically Levitated Electromagnets with Low-Resolution Position Sensor IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 48 4546 4549 2012 10.1109/TMAG.2012.2203797
- Rakshith , M et al. Bose Automotive Suspension IJRTE 3 4 September 2014 2277-3878
- Fujita , E. , Nakagawa , N. , Ogura , Y. , and Kojima , S. Vibration Characteristics of Vertical Suspension Using Magneto-Spring SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1781 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1781
- Pandurangan , K. , Venna , H.K.V. , and Banthia , V. Reduction of Vibration Transmissibility to Driver’s Seat of Truck SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0203 2016 10.4271/2016-28-0203
- Lee et al.
- Akoun , G. and Yonnet , J. 3D Analytical Calculation of the Forces Exerted between Two Cuboidal Magnets IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 20 5 1962 1964 September 1984
- Ebrahimi , B. 2009
- Song , X. and Ahmadian , M. Study of Semi Active Adaptive Control Algorithms with Magneto-Rheological Seat Suspension SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1648 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1648
- Mache , A. , Kulkarni , A. , and Joshi , S. Use of an Electromagnetic Damper for a Road Vehicle Suspension System SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2144 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2144
- Pandurangan , K. , Venna , H. , and Banthia , V. Reduction of Vibration Transmissibility to Driver’s Seat of Truck SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0203 2016 10.4271/2016-28-0203
- Funde , J. , Wani , K.P. , Dhote , N.D. , Patil , S.A. 2019 Performance Analysis of Semi-Active Suspension System Based on Suspension Working Space and Dynamic Tire Deflection Chandrasekhar , U. , Yang , L.J. , Gowthaman , S. Innovative Design, Analysis and Development Practices in Aerospace and Automotive Engineering (I-DAD 2018) Singapore Springer